PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire section/

JeffinNZ
09-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Moderators.

How about a rimfire section. I know they are not cast boolit guns but they sure have a following.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-12-2009, 11:42 PM
I would like to see a rimfire section also.

45nut
09-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Lots of people like knives n bows too,, n chevy's n fords, toyota and ................

I really understand,, but,, for this forum,, they are welcome in the factory guns,, or off topic.

I know, I know,, the guys here,, gal's too can be really helpful and insightful and cool but somewhere we need to realize we can't be all inclusive.

The crew at the General Gunloads forum and the Reloaders Guide forum are a pretty helpful bunch too.

I really appreciate the support though!

Bret4207
09-13-2009, 07:55 AM
I suggested a RF section some months back when we were getting a section for everything else. Some of the replies were unfriendly to say the least. I was very disappointed in several members.

Piedmont
09-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I think this is a good idea too. Just about all of my centerfire shooting is cast bullets, but I love the rimfires and with primers costing more than .22 ammo now, guess what gets shot the most?

Bret4207
09-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Lots of people like knives n bows too,, n chevy's n fords, toyota and ................

I really understand,, but,, for this forum,, they are welcome in the factory guns,, or off topic.

I know, I know,, the guys here,, gal's too can be really helpful and insightful and cool but somewhere we need to realize we can't be all inclusive.

The crew at the General Gunloads forum and the Reloaders Guide forum are a pretty helpful bunch too.

I really appreciate the support though!

Would you consider a sub-section off "Factory Guns" or "Shooters"? Maybe "Non-cast" section or a "Factory Loads" section. That would also cover non- homecast and commercial boolits?

I agree that there's no way to be all inclusive and still maintain the atmosphere we've worked so very hard to fine tune and maintain.

jim4065
09-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Since there's really no other place to post this - I've got a question. What's holding back development of "large" caliber rimfires? They used to make 44's, 38's etc in rimfire - but nothing now but a very few trickling in from Brazil (if I recall correctly). Is it simply a demand question? No guns to shoot 'em in? Seems like an enterprising company could bring out a single shot (like the Favorite) in 32 caliber rimfire while concurrently producing ammo for it. I think it would make a grand plinker. :coffeecom

wills
09-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Since there's really no other place to post this - I've got a question. What's holding back development of "large" caliber rimfires? They used to make 44's, 38's etc in rimfire - but nothing now but a very few trickling in from Brazil (if I recall correctly). Is it simply a demand question? No guns to shoot 'em in? Seems like an enterprising company could bring out a single shot (like the Favorite) in 32 caliber rimfire while concurrently producing ammo for it. I think it would make a grand plinker. :coffeecom

I have a rolling block in .32rf. The ammo is available. It would be nice if it were more available. Is it likely the popularity could be revived? Hard to interest people in “standard velocity” anything. Look at the .17 rf. High velocity, popular.

"Limitations
A large rimfire case could hold respectable amounts of propellant. However, the hollow rim still had to be thin enough to permit reliable ignition, thus limiting how strong the case could be constructed. Another factor was metallurgy. In the 19th Century, metallurgy was still a developing science. The case hardens as when formed, and must be annealed or stress-relieved to be flexible and strong. Failure of this post-processing step could leave the case brittle. A brittle case could rupture at the rim folds on firing. As more cartridge power was required, priming systems had to be developed that permitted thicker and stronger case. The modern centerfire cartridge was born, and changed. "

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/education/rimfire_evolution.aspx

w30wcf
09-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Cast bullets can be used to reload .22 rimfire! :D
I do reload .22 Rimfire (pull bullet, dump powder, replace with b.p., seat cast bullet).

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/w30wcf/22bp.jpg
left: std. .22 l.r.
middle: 40 gr. cast bullet
right: 45 gr. cast bullet

w30wcf

2ndAmendmentNut
09-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Cast bullets can be used to reload .22 rimfire! :D
I do reload .22 Rimfire (pull bullet, dump powder, replace with b.p., seat cast bullet).

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/w30wcf/22bp.jpg
left: std. .22 l.r.
middle: 40 gr. cast bullet
right: 45 gr. cast bullet

w30wcf

You have got to be joking. If you are really serious please tell me how you reseat and crimp the new boolit, so that I can give it a try!:-)

Bret4207
09-15-2009, 07:29 AM
You have got to be joking. If you are really serious please tell me how you reseat and crimp the new boolit, so that I can give it a try!:-)

I doubt he's joking, but inquiring minds need answers!!! I'm curious as to what is used as a priming compound?

EDIT-Ooops! I see he's just replacing the powder and boolit. I've changed the bullets in 22 Mags back in the days before decent jacketed stuff was available. Pretty easy actually. I crimped with a pliers made for crimping some kind of electrical fixture. All I had to do was file the opening a bit.

roadie
09-15-2009, 11:10 PM
I doubt he's joking, but inquiring minds need answers!!! I'm curious as to what is used as a priming compound?

EDIT-Ooops! I see he's just replacing the powder and boolit. I've changed the bullets in 22 Mags back in the days before decent jacketed stuff was available. Pretty easy actually. I crimped with a pliers made for crimping some kind of electrical fixture. All I had to do was file the opening a bit.

Easy enough with the .22 Mag, but the .22 rimfire needs a heeled boolit, I'm wondering what is used there.

roadie

HORNET
09-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Looks like the Lyman 225107 & 225438, probably w/o gas checks. If they were cast real soft, it ought to work. IIRC, about a century ago, they used to sell empty primed cases for people to load their own with B.P. or semi-smokeless. BTW, the CCI SGB (Small Game Bullet) is almost identical to the 225107.