PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Weight catch

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-14-2006, 04:39 PM
After thinking over how much lead and wheel weights I already had, I decided I might need some more wheel weights to fill the ingot molds I just got. My truck will soon need tires and since Friday morning is a quiet morning for me work wise, decided to drive over to the nearby town of Gainesville to get a few tire replacement quotes in the "automotive repair" part of town.

I rode over and stopped at three differrent tires stores, got my quotes and then politely asked if I could mooch some wheel weights. In all three cases, I was given enough wheel weights to equal a bit more than a third of a five gallon bucket of wheel weight and I ended up with about 1 1/4 buckets of wheel weight.

I QC'ed my molds using water (safer than molten lead, I think) and found a few that leaked. Took them back to the welder who promptly corrected all leaking problems. They've sat in the warm sun since 1 PM EST and I think they'll be ready to cast this weekend in good shape. They show a fine patina of rust from the water that I'm hoping will help the lead ingot separation.

I will pick up a couple muffin tins as backups and to differentiate the pure lead I have from the wheel weights.

I was able to find the Mac's/NAPA DGT123 dry graphite film lubricant today at the new NAPA store today. Turns out the old auto parts store and NAPA had parted ways. Evidentlly some kind of disagreement, who knows what over.

Now all I need to do is talk the wife into buying new cake pans so I can use her old ones as catch pans for the steel clips, dross, etc. Think that will be difficult?

Regards,

Dave

Blacktail 8541
04-14-2006, 06:04 PM
If she has non stick pans that are old you will probably be in luck because she will get to go shopping. If she has the old cast iron or potters style you will no doubt be out of luck.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-14-2006, 08:56 PM
YAY!! She has the new non stick kind of pans. :-D

Dave