PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 4-20 furnace

skeet1
09-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I just got my new Lee Pro 4-20 furnace from Natchez Shooters Supply and had to try it out. I have to tell you that this was one of the best casting sessions I have had in some time. The furnace worked without a hitch and I ended up with a nice pile of Lee 312-185s and some 150 Gr. semi wadcutters from an old Ohaus double cavity mould. My old furnace is a Saeco that I have had for about 35 years. I never had very good results from the old bottom pour, not sure why. I always used a dipper with better results. I started using the dipper with the new Lee furnace and was going along fairly well and I thought I would try the bottom pour and see if it would work any better, I was pleasantly surprised how smoothly and quickly I could cast bullets. The other thing about the Lee furnace is that I could buy about three of them for the cost of a RCBS. Now I know that the RCBS is a good furnace and will probable last longer that the Lee but at the cost I'll take the Lee.

Skeet1

windrider919
09-12-2009, 06:42 PM
dipping vs bottom pour - I like that I can leave a layer of carbon dust on top of the melt and the melt surface stays un-oxidized and tin mixed. I pour a lot more consistant weights with my Lee bottom pour than I ever did from a ladle. Less fluxing n wasting time sure gets my approval.

The only detraction on my Lee is that I have to jiggle the valve rod around occasionally to stop dripping.

shotman
09-12-2009, 09:28 PM
and when it goes bad in 30 years the rebuild kit [thermostat and element] is only $9 for both

Shiloh
09-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I thought mine was history about two years ago so I got a new one. Before firing it up, I took the old one apart, found the problem, heat damaged wires and a damaged spout where I tapped it for better plug seating. Fixed the short, pounded the dent straight on the pot, and voila.. There have been thousands of boolits cast since then, and I have a spare.

Shiloh