PDA

View Full Version : Trim-to Length

JHinman
09-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Please answer a newby question -

Is the Trim-to length in the Lyman manual a minimum, or should I trim to that length every time?

I'm new to rifle bullets. I have a bag of brand new Winchester 30-30 brass. They are measuring very consistently 2.031 inches in length right out of the bag. Do I need to trim these before I use them? Is there a maximum length for the cases?

Thanks!

AJ Peacock
09-12-2009, 12:55 PM
The length listed in reloading books is a length that will gaurantee chambering in any 'standard' chamber. As long as they chamber and aren't so long that they bind on the front of the chamber, you will be fine. If you can, shoot the brass a couple times before you trim. Having them all the same length is nice, but having them square is more important for accuracy.

AJ

6.5 mike
09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
JHinman, most reloading maunals do list a min/max case length. As pointed out a square case mouth is more important & as long as the cases don't interfer with chambering you should be fine.

bohokii
09-12-2009, 03:42 PM
keep them below max and you will be fine

Shiloh
09-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Max length is your chamber measurement. My Krag chamber is about .032 longer than max cartridge length IIRC. The '06 is .012 longer than max.

The trim lengths are for liability and margin of safety measurements.

If I trim to suggested length in the Krag, My brass will be .042 thousandths short.
That is a lot.
I pay closer attention to the '06

Shiloh