PDA

View Full Version : inline boolits

garbear
09-12-2009, 01:10 AM
I have 2 traditional muzzle loaders. My Dad bought me a inline 50 cal. I have not shot them much. I wasn't about to turn down a gift from my old man. I have a lot W.W. lead and was wondering what or if I can cast it to use in my inline. I was thinking maxi-ball and using it in my other rifles or the other was if I can't do that casting it into 45 or something like that and using it a sabot in the inline muzzle loader only. Any help would be appreciated.

randyrat
09-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Some say they have shot WWs alloy out of their MLs. I have only used soft lead, loads much easier. Give it a try and if it dosen't work you can always shoot 45s in a Sabot out of you 50 cal.

It may depend on your mold and what diameter it cast. Then it will depend on your load, will that hard bullet engrave the the rifling enough to be accurate.
Maybe if you have a skinny cast you could "paper patch" just enough to help engrave rifling.

randyrat
09-12-2009, 06:23 AM
One more thing if my son ever called me his old man i would beat him to a pulp. :p

Ohio Rusty
09-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Maxi bullets that have to have the rifling cut into the bullet are a bit difficult due to the hardness. The buillet doesn't want to give way to the rifling. We did this test with maxi-bullets that were not pure lead and my friend had a difficult time getting them started and rammed down on the powder.

If you are casting slugs that fit in the plastic sleeved sabot, it won't matter the lead alloy because the sabot is the medium that fills the gap between the rifling and the bullet, and the sabot is soft.

Ohio Rusty ><>

XWrench3
09-12-2009, 08:51 AM
yep, i shoot cast 45 acp slugs with a sabot out of my inline m.l. it works fine. i am not sure i would use it on deer, but it works fine for plinking. it is to big of an investment to not spend money on a good bullet designed specificly for deer hunting. besides, i bought 200 of them from midway before this "oblama scare" took place. they are T.C. yellow platic tipped shockwave bullets that were " blemished". i sure miss the "blemished bullet sales" midway used to have! if we only knew what was ahead of us!

Rockydog
09-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Garbear, I shoot .45 "Keith" style cast bullets using .50 cal sabots in two different MLs. One a Austin Halleck and the other a Mossberg 500 pump ML barrel. Both shoot very well. I've not taken a deer with them yet using the cast bullets but based on past ML experience I wouldn't be afraid to tackle most anything in North America with them, especially with a Keith type SWC with it's flat nose and full diameter meplat. RD

mooman76
09-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I have cast Lee REALs with WWs because that's all I had and they worked. Some inlines don't tend to like conical bullets but some have had success with them. It also depends on how good you want it to do. If you want target accuracy or justgood enought to kill something. If you have WWs set asside the stick on ones, they are softer and will work like pure lead. You could might trade too. There are allot of people that get the soft lead but want the harder stuff or the other way around and you can swap.

garbear
09-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I met no disrespect to my dad we call him pa,pop, and sometime old man. He admits to being a old man. well at least a rich old man. Any way I have been keeping my stick on weights separate because they are soft lead. The w.w. lead is the stuff I have smelted so far have been giving it away to my brother who loads it for his pistol. decide to start using some it my self since I get it for free. I think that using it in a sabot is the way to go. Any recommendations on a boolit cast to fo that. I am cheap so bear that in mind.

HORNET
09-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I've been casting 429421's out of ww and using them in a sabot out of a CVA in-line. Worked very well on a BIG 3 point last November. Sized .429, seated into a dark green Knight sabot ( the MMC's didn't work as well) ahead of 85 gr 3F, Hot Remington #11 cap. Fairly frisky load.

mooman76
09-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Used to be some time ago you rarely hear anything good about sabots in ML rifles. It is good to hear that you hear the reverse now adays it seems. I have never shot sabots myself weather it be that I'm too cheap or I just don't seem to have the need but I do think I will try them some day. I bought a inline a few years back and didn't care for it too much. It wasn't that easy to load and I never did get it to shoot as good as I liked. I just bought it on a wim because it was cheap at the time and I had always had a curiosity about them. I got t cheap because all the new "magnum" inlines were coming out

StarMetal
09-12-2009, 12:15 PM
The Maxi-Ball as designed by TC engraves only the first band behind the nose upon loading. When fired the powder burn pressure compresses the bullet and the rest of the bands then fill the rifling grooves. With that said I try to use pure lead, but often my lead isn't pure for them, still pretty soft thought. I've never had trouble trying to seat the Maxi's in more then one rifle. All you are engraving is that first band I mentions and that' s not really hard to do. Perhaps with a really fouled bore and a Maxi that is hard, it could become difficult.

I refuse to shoot the sabot bullets. No, I'm not against them, just not my thing.

I've recovered Maxi's and they really do expand and fill the grooves.

Joe

troy_mclure
09-12-2009, 01:23 PM
i have a knight wolverine inline .50cal. i use sabots out of it. i usually load the sabots with .44 300gr pure lead boolits. i got a few hundred from a gun shop a few years ago. they expand hugely with 2 50gr pellets of pyrodex.

randyrat
09-12-2009, 08:53 PM
I met no disrespect to my dad we call him pa,pop, and sometime old man. He admits to being a old man. well at least a rich old man. Any way I have been keeping my stick on weights separate because they are soft lead. The w.w. lead is the stuff I have smelted so far have been giving it away to my brother who loads it for his pistol. decide to start using some it my self since I get it for free. I think that using it in a sabot is the way to go. Any recommendations on a boolit cast to fo that. I am cheap so bear that in mind.
If you buy Sabots be sure you get the right size for your bullets that you plan on using.... .452 or .451 sized...Seems to me they are different colors for different size bullets.

Or smelt your soft stick-on WWs and make some Maxi balls 370 grain and you'll never look back. Finding a 370 maxi ball mold may take a little time. they may be more availible now. Mine shoot better than any Saboted bullet you can find, along with easy loading, as stated before. I call them "THUMPERS"

shotman
09-12-2009, 11:39 PM
A note Your inlines they are a faster twist. They are more for sabot or a conical. The Lee R.E.A.L does a good job in my Savage. and the sabots do too. Round ball-about 6 to 8 in at 100yds some will miss the target

garbear
09-13-2009, 03:56 PM
what about buffalo bullets they like the fast twist rate of the inline? Has any one cast those and tried them in a inline? My inline s a CVA stag horn magnum. it uses the 209 primers. I believe the twist rate is 1-28. I have lots of lead that I figure I can go either way sabots or maxi-ball. sorry for all the questions. just figure I might as well use some of this lead I have been giving away.

Ohio Rusty
09-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I used to have a T/C .50 hawken and the buffalo bullet conicals were extremely accurate out of that gun. I favored the buffalo bullet over the maxi for that reason.
Ohio Rusty ><>