PDA

View Full Version : A good trip to the gunshop yesterday

autofix4u
09-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I took a long lunch break yesterday & went to a gun store a had not been to for a couple of months. Bad idea for the the budget. He still had a Star model Super I had looked at last time. SSaid he would make me a deal on it today. Well a deal it was, got the pistol, extra mag & 5 boxes of 9 largo for less than call the wife money. Now I have to buy some dies for it. He also had a 357 max 14" contender barrel that I put on layaway. And to think I just went to pick up some IMR4064 for the Garand.

Matt_G
09-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Good on ya!
You got to strike while the iron is hot! :bigsmyl2:

jsizemore
09-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Did you get the 4064 or are you saving it for next trip?:wink:

autofix4u
09-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Did you get the 4064 or are you saving it for next trip?:wink:

Well since I ran outa cash I will have to go back & get it . and he didn't have any in stock.

SierraWhiskeyMC
09-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Might want to reconsider that .357 Max. I heard that Ruger discontinued it after flame cutting of the top strap above the cylinder/barrel junction was found to be a problem. There were more rumors about erosion of the forcing cone. Of course, if the pistol you're looking at is in good shape, and you're just going to shoot lead boolits in it anyway, you won't likely have those kinds of problems.

jim4065
09-11-2009, 07:51 PM
The Contender barrel won't be subject to that problem.

canyon-ghost
09-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Ah, but the Contender doesn't have that problem. Hmmm....

357maximum
09-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Might want to reconsider that .357 Max. I heard that Ruger discontinued it after flame cutting of the top strap above the cylinder/barrel junction was found to be a problem. There were more rumors about erosion of the forcing cone. Of course, if the pistol you're looking at is in good shape, and you're just going to shoot lead boolits in it anyway, you won't likely have those kinds of problems.

YOU HEARD WRONG. In real world use the problem starts and then stops...it only goes so deep and it stops. The problem was people thinking they had a 140grain 357swift not the guns themselves. With any 158+ boolit/bullet the issue is moot. I have played with a few rugers and dans that have seen extensive use ...much adoo doo about nothin, puked out by know it all gunrag writers and then regurgitated over and over by those that have never even touched one.

More apt to have issue (accuracy) with the original TC contenders looong forcing cone than any revolver ever made.

Nora
09-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Now I have to buy some dies for it.

I've just used my standard 9mm Luger dies for years to feed my Star A. Just had to adjust them out to compensate for the longer length. One of these days I'll have a washer cut / made to compensate for the difference like the one that came in my set of .38-.357 dies.

Nora

Bret4207
09-12-2009, 07:03 AM

Flame cutting at the barrel cylinder gap in a T/C???

AZ-Stew
09-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I just popped the safe and checked the barrel/cylinder gaps on my T/C barrels, but couldn't find any flame cutting. Wait, let me get my flashlight...

Regards,

Stew