PDA

View Full Version : How often do i clean CB-shooting barrel?

Griffin
09-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Not a Levergun question perhaps but the gun i have in mind is a win94 30-30.
i dont have leading and it shoots fine. there is not a excess of lube remaining in the barrel after firing a few rounds, neither on this gun or my 8x57 mauser anymore.
A thought came to me now when the leading is gone:
how often do i need to clean the barrel? is it good to have the lube sitting there for 500 rounds or not?
i dont have a clue actually. i have used ed's red to clean with but perhaps i should use something else.
Suggestions?
/Karl

runfiverun
09-10-2009, 10:56 AM
well my 45 colt is i bought it in 91 and i have cleaned the bbl once. when it got dropped in the dust hole from hell along with most of my body and half a deer....
keep the action lubed and tuned if it don't lose accuracy and you are worried a bit push a wet patch down the bbl when you get worried about it.

6pt-sika
09-10-2009, 11:16 AM
When I'm working up loads I treat a CB barrel the same as I would a jacketed bullet rifle and clean every 13 shots . That works out to a fouler and 4 three round groups .

When I shoot lever silhouette I clean after the match which works out to 40 rounds .

dragonrider
09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
If it's shootin like you want it to, don't put a hex on it by cleanin!!!!!!!!!!!

Papa smurf
09-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I agree with dragonrider,clean as you would a 22rf ,almost never.
Good Shooting--------Papa Smurf

Bret4207
09-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Me too. Unless is NEEDS cleaning I leave it alone.

shooting on a shoestring
09-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I seldom shoot more than 40 rounds of the same load, and I always want to compare loads on the same basis, so I clean before I shoot a new or another load. So I usually clean every 20 to 40 shots. Although I do remember a hoot of an afternoon when I ran a coffee can full of ammo through my '94 w/o cleaning.

I do clean every gun after I shoot it. Reason being, I never know how long a gun may sit before I get back to it. Could be a couple of days, weeks, years, decades.