PDA

View Full Version : lube needed for sizing?

45shootr
09-10-2009, 06:52 AM
I have been casting 45 Colt boolits and pan lubeing then loading, skipping the sizing. At most they run around 2 thou over, without any loss of accuracy or any leading. The only drawback I see is an occasional bulge in the case, not even enough to keep the cartridge from chambering. I'm thinking of running them through my RCBS sizer and then pan lubing, skipping the lube in the sizer. I think it would be faster. Do I have to lube when sizing in this unit as you do in the Lee sizers?

BABore
09-10-2009, 07:55 AM
It will help alot.

I used to use Hornady One-Shot, but swiched to a homemade brew because of cost. I use 91% rubbing alcohol and 100% liquid lanolin purchased from a hippy store (health food). 3 Tablespoons per 16 ozs of alcohol. I pour it into a little spray bottle for an applicator. Sine 91% alcohol still has 9% water, you will get some seperation which requires shaking before use. Pure alcohol would work better. I've heard that the Dri-Gas is 100% pure denatured alcohol and plan to try it when I run out of this batch.

runfiverun
09-10-2009, 10:29 AM
to keep things smooth put a bit of lube on every tenth or so boolit.
bbout anything slippery and compatible with your lube should work fine.
you could pan lube then size.
but if your current system is working why mess with it?

Dale53
09-10-2009, 01:53 PM
45shootr;
If you are running the bullets through the sizer, just lube them at that time. It will be a LOT faster than sizing THEN pan lubing them. You can use what ever lube you use for pan lubing. Just melt it up (best done in a double boiler), fill the sizer, and have at it.

Dale53

geargnasher
09-10-2009, 10:48 PM
45shootr;
If you are running the bullets through the sizer, just lube them at that time. It will be a LOT faster than sizing THEN pan lubing them. You can use what ever lube you use for pan lubing. Just melt it up (best done in a double boiler), fill the sizer, and have at it.

Dale53

+1

Gear