PDA

View Full Version : Powder for 100/50yds loads

abunaitoo
09-10-2009, 03:57 AM
I've been using shotgun/pistol powder for all my cast boolet reloading.
I can get consistant groups at both 50yds and 100yds, but I have to move the sight.
Has anyone done and testing on slower powders that push the bullet enough so that you don't have to move the sight?????

44man
09-10-2009, 08:22 AM
I've been using shotgun/pistol powder for all my cast boolet reloading.
I can get consistant groups at both 50yds and 100yds, but I have to move the sight.
Has anyone done and testing on slower powders that push the bullet enough so that you don't have to move the sight?????
Well, I have not found any alien technology to fool gravity! :bigsmyl2:
It can't be done and is why most of us sight to hit a tad high at 50 yards.
Sure, upping the velocity will flatten trajectory and it can be true that using the slowest powder for the velocity you want will be more accurate. But we don't know because you did not say what you are shooting either.
Even the .44 mag will only drop an inch or so at 100 if sighted for 50 but it is best to sight at 75 to cover all bases. From 100 to 200 a heavy .44 boolit can drop 35". I consider it strange because a .475, 420 gr boolit only drops about 18" started at near the same velocity.
Are you shooting a rifle?
Why are you stuck on shotgun powders?
If shooting a revolver, 296 and H110 will be the slowest powder for best results. Anything slower will reduce velocity unless you have a very large case and a long barrel.
For a rifle, don't overlook SR4759, it fills a case well and is very accurate along with good velocity.

Papa smurf
09-10-2009, 03:51 PM
IMR4198 works for me in my 8mm. ----Good Shooting ------Papa Smurf

Blammer
09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I have the same problem with jacketed bullets at the "normal" jacketed velocity.

fredj338
09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, I have not found any alien technology to fool gravity! :bigsmyl2:
It can't be done and is why most of us sight to hit a tad high at 50 yards.
Sure, upping the velocity will flatten trajectory and it can be true that using the slowest powder for the velocity you want will be more accurate. But we don't know because you did not say what you are shooting either.
Even the .44 mag will only drop an inch or so at 100 if sighted for 50 but it is best to sight at 75 to cover all bases. From 100 to 200 a heavy .44 boolit can drop 35". I consider it strange because a .475, 420 gr boolit only drops about 18" started at near the same velocity.
Are you shooting a rifle?
Why are you stuck on shotgun powders?
If shooting a revolver, 296 and H110 will be the slowest powder for best results. Anything slower will reduce velocity unless you have a very large case and a long barrel.
For a rifle, don't overlook SR4759, it fills a case well and is very accurate along with good velocity.
LOL, I thought exactly the same thing! Tought to defy gravity. Having said that, some powder will throw a bullet slightly higher trhough recoil.

44man
09-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I use wood to heat my house. It takes very little each winter, from 1/3 to 1/2 a cord. My neighbor says there is an alien craft buried under my house! :bigsmyl2:
I hide all day in the basement trying to contact them but all I find is this site!

JIMinPHX
09-11-2009, 12:31 AM
What caliber & boolit weight?

abunaitoo
09-11-2009, 05:02 AM
I guess it just can't be done.
Was kind of hoping someone had found some powder that would do it.
Shooting rifle with shotgun powder.
I've tried rifle powder, but I found that it shoots no better than with shotgun powder.