PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance showing-450 sizer press

jb12k
04-13-2006, 06:06 AM
:confused: Guys-Finally got a deal on Lyman master casting set(mostly for the sizer/luber), and now I need to know how you select dies and punches. I will be casting 9mm, 44mag, and 45 acp-and eventuallyt 303 British. The only bullet I am sure of now is Lee 356-124 gr. Truncated cone. How do you decide which die and punch you need ? Is there a chart somewhere ? Might finally see some results from all the cash laid out this weekend for casting equipment ! AAll help is appreciated !!!
Thanks-jb12k :confused:

trooperdan
04-13-2006, 08:59 AM
You choose the die based on the bore dimensions of your gun. Some 9mm's like .355 others like them as big as .357.

As for the top punch, Lyman always lists the correct punch with the info on the mold. Lee doesn't do that so you have to "approximate" by looking at Lyman's chart and finding a boolit profile close to what you have. Or use some JB Weld, Epoxy steel or something similar to modify an exisiting punch by molding something around the nose of one of your cast boolits. Use mold release, silicone spray or something to coat the boolit so the epoxy won't stick to it!

jb12k
04-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info ! So, I need to slug each weapon before actually buying dies, I guess. Gotta see about getting some soft lead balls somewhere to do that. Got 3- 9mm, 2 -44, and a 45acp. plus 2-303 to do then. Guess I will figure all this out eventually !

454PB
04-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Picking a top punch is easier when you are using a TC mould. Just about any .357 SWC punch will work. It's the pointy boolits that will give you problems, if the top punch doesn't match the profile, it'll mash the point of the boolit.

If you are already invested in the Lyman sizer, you might as well order .356, .357. and .358 sizers. You're going to need them sooner or later!

Shepherd2
04-13-2006, 02:57 PM
For slugging bores I get the assortment of egg shaped sinkers in the fishing tackle department. They are soft lead and if they are a little undersized for your bore you can tap them with a hammer and expand them. The hole thru the sinker comes in handy too. I take a bent paperclip and put the sinker on it while I apply gease.

jb12k
04-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks Guys ! Any further tips/tricks are definitely welcome ! Strictly a novice, but I am getting close to actually making my own boolits !

Bucks Owin
04-19-2006, 01:00 PM
How do you decide which die and punch you need ? Is there a chart somewhere ?

Try going here amigo:

http://www.darkcanyon.net/lymancastbulletinfo.html

You can print yourself out a 10 page list of what's what....

Wouldn't you know it, I just swapped off the top punch you probably need for that Lee TC boolit... :roll:

Dennis

(Thanks to "Dark Canyon", hope you don't mind....)

jb12k
04-20-2006, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the link !

Bucks Owin
04-20-2006, 05:46 PM
You're more than welcome.

If you would like images too, try this:

http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

Dennis

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Here's an excellent tutorial on slugging a bore using common materials you probably already own most of:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

It's about Mosin Nagants, but will easily translate into any other sort of barrel.

Dave