PDA

View Full Version : NMLRA Postal Match Target

Maven
09-08-2009, 07:45 PM
The NMLRA (Natl. Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoc.) runs monthly postal matches* between April or May through November. I started to participate in them last year as a means of improving my off-hand shooting skills, which were so poor that I was embarrassed to submit my targets. This year, things improved. Although I never came close to a perfect score (50-5x), I no longer was ashamed of my results. Here's a photo of the target I shot today with my .50cal. (.495" RB) Mowrey rifle. The load was 40grs. (vol.) Graf's FFg + weighed .495" RB's + .018" patch, ignited by almost 40 yr. old Rem #10 percussion caps. Needless to say, I was happy with the group and the score.

*Any ML rifle may be used, but you have to fire only 5 shots offhand @ 25 yds. at a 3" (3.5"?) bull. The max. score is 50-5x.

northmn
09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Nice looking target. Do you have to have a witness to document the targets or is it an honor system? Is that one bull of the old six bull?

Northmn

Maven
09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Northmn, It's the honor system, as are the CBA postal matches. Besides, what's the point of cheating since no one is forced to pay the $3.00 entry fee per month + postage to Friendship, IN to submit one's target. As for the target itself, it's a single bull as shown and is included as an actual page in "Muzzle Blasts," usually between April and November. And thanks for the compliment! In truth, I thought I threw one shot high and maybe in the 5 or 6 ring, but when went to inspect the target after firing all 5 shots, I found that I'd been fooled by the sun shining through a bullet hole under the record target.

HWooldridge
09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Nice target and the Mowrey is a great rifle. I've owned two and foolishly parted with both over the years. I still keep my eyes peeled in case I come across another one some day.