PDA

View Full Version : 5.45x39 AR upper. Anyone have one?

Trey45
09-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm thinking about getting a S&W upper just to be able to shoot up the cheap surplus ammo that's around. If you have one please tell me about it. Any problems, issues, malfunctions etc I should be aware of before purchase?

44minimum
09-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I thought about that for several months and almost bought one. I had even got a lot of surplus ammo for it and ordered the upper from model one sales and of course was on about a four month wait list. A couple of months go by and I got curious and logged onto their website to check the status of my order and found out it was canceled, without even telling me. My credit card had expired so instead of letting me know they just canceled my order. pissed me off so bad that I sold the ammo and within two weeks had a 556 upper installed on my AR and was good to go. My first AR in fact. I would imagine that you know all of that 5.45 surplus ammo is at least mildly corrosive and should be cleaned as soon as possible after shooting, with appropriate methods. Since ammo is not so scarce anymore, and I didn't really feel like cleaning my gun immediately after shooting, and Steelcase 223 ammo is not really that much more expensive than corrosive surplus unless you're shooting multiple thousands of rounds per year, I just went with a 5.56 and am quite happy. Magazines are a lot cheaper also.

Johnch
09-08-2009, 10:49 PM
My neibor has one
He likes it
IMO not the most accurate
Might be the ammo though

One thing
Use mags designed for 5.45x39
He tryed to use 223 mags and some AR 7.62x39 mags as they were a lot cheaper
Neither feed well
But his 2 mags designed for 5.45x39 fed well

John