PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Bags

jim4065
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Don't have one per gun, as Fadala recommends, but I can see his point. Everything rattles around in the 50 cal ammo boxes, gets dirty, and is AWOL when needed. So - I'm trying to change. Trouble is, got champagne tastes and a beer budget.

So what's the solution? Should I just belly up to the bar and buy another bag (or two)? What do people use with an in-line? Now that I've got one of those abominations, I need to carry some stuff for it.............[smilie=6:

mooman76
09-07-2009, 10:57 PM
I find a tackle box works pretty good. Has all the seperate compartments to keep things seperate. Not very nastalgic but I have allot of different guns and calibers.

northmn
09-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Cheap tackle boxes work to take to the range. As to shooting bags you do not neccessarily have to use a classic bag as fanny packs and that sort of thing are reasonable. For deer hunting I carry a small bag with about 5 ball, patches and an extra flint, a 32 cal flask for charging the rifle, a powder measure, flint knapping screwdriver tool, short starter and a priming horn. All this stuff fits into a couple of coat pockets easily.

Northmn

farmerfish77
09-08-2009, 08:44 AM
I use old purses and some of the other clutter bags that hold quite a bit of stuff. Im sute they are easily found in yard sales and second hand stores, flea markets ect.

higgins
09-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Try making one out of an old overall bib. I haven't worn them for many years, but the Liberty brand used to have a small pocket or two in the bib along with some handy slots.

RayinNH
09-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I use old purses

Farmer, I'm assuming you don't go to public ranges. Do you coordinate your shoes with the purses.:kidding:...Ray

Dale53
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
jim4065;
I like your "handle" - I have two 40/65's and believe that they are THE caliber for BPCR Silhouette.

Now, to answer your question. You have more than one rifle. The ideal set up is to have a bag for each rifle. Immediately, when you come in from hunting or the range, you "reload" the bag so it is always ready to grab along with your rifle when you head out.

However, buying well made replicas at over a $100.00 a pop can get expensive quick. One solution is to only buy one good one and "reload" it for a particular rifle just before heading out. This is conducive to leaving a critical piece of gear at home and having a "no shoot" when you get where you are going.

For range use, the suggestion to use inexpensive plastic tackle boxes is a VERY good idea. I have found that get one as small as you can get by with. "Murphy's Law" will see that a large one will get filled completely (regardless of your original intentions) and you will need a crane to load and unload it. Some only have one rifle and one range box. If you have more than one rifle you might want a box for each rifle. If so, mark them so you do NOT pick up the wrong one when you head for the range.

I have a friend who has been an avid muzzle loader shooter for many years. He got everything together, got to the range, unloaded all of his gear then discovered he had left his rifle at home:veryconfu.

For hunting in the field, you can do what generations of people with limited funds have done. Get some material and make your own. There are patterns available and good canvas (or similar material with good body) can make a VERY nice bag (or three) with relatively little cash outlay). Small bags can be made from scrap leather (I have found decent stuff at flea markets, etc). In the meantime, the suggestion to use flea market shoulder bags is a good one (some discarded womens purses can look and work well) until you get yours made.

Here is a good book on Creating an EXCELLENT pattern hunting bag - make yours of denim or canvas for quick, inexpensive, and practical and after you make one or two then consider finding some leather and do yourself proud (or just use the cloth bags - they do a FINE job):

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/%28S%28nwe2zq551ky03aayubrmj445%29%29/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=1&subId=6&styleId=21&partNum=BOOK-R18-CHP

Dale53

runnin lead
09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I have a seperate range box for muzzleloaders , for hunting I put what I need in the pockets of my hunting vest

farmerfish77
09-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Farmer, I'm assuming you don't go to public ranges. Do you coordinate your shoes with the purses....Ray OK I guess I never thought about that as I live out in the sticks and I park my pickup right beside the shootin bench. They do work good though, have em for each rifle and also keep blackpowder stuff in em too.

northmn
09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I do admit that there is some advantage to having a bag of sorts as sometimes I do not wear the same coat. Easier to grab a fanny pack than to check pockets. I have a book by Jim Johnson on Kentucky rifles that I use for references on builds. He has a picture of a hunting bag with everything layed out. A womans purse would be appropriate as he had fishing line wrapped around a stick, a Jews Harp, bullets in a block and a bag. A folding knife and so on. Looked like when he went out he stayed a while.

Northmn

jim4065
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
That'll make a statement all right...........:oops: