PDA

View Full Version : Flea market prices - too high

Ohio Rusty
09-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I went to the big flea market I attend every year. Ammo and gun prices have gone thru the roof. Most boxes of average hand gun ammo the sellers were asking $40 to $50 doallars a box !! This is just .38 special and 9mm stuff. Guns that sell new for $500, used were selling for $700. I couldn't find a used snub nose revolver for less thasn $450. One seller blames the prices on the manufactuers. I blame it on price gouging. Small pistol primers were $50 a thousand, and magum pistol primers were $65 a thousand. Ridiculous ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

Dale53
09-07-2009, 04:08 PM
If you are selling the prices are too low or just right. If you are buying they are too high.

Just don't buy if they are too high. When sellers realize that no one is buying the prices will come down. If you keep buying, the prices will stay up.

Dale53

Firebricker
09-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Rusty, Was it trader days in Johnstown. A friend went to that one he said abought same thing. But he did do alright on some dies Lee carbide 3 die set $15 and a 2 die RCBS set in
.243 He said guy's were selling reloads in ziplock bag's all over the place. FB

plumber
09-07-2009, 04:17 PM
The gunshows up here are bad as well, Wal-mart ammo marked up 300%.

Ohio Rusty
09-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Yep Firebricker .... it was the Swap meet at Johnstown. There were reloads available for purchase. I just don't trust someone else's reloads that I don't know. People didn't seem too much about haggling this year. The lowest price I found on a Ruger 10-22 was $275, and it looked like someone used it as a ball bat. Very few muzzleloaders of black powder stuff also..... Maybe next year ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

Sonoma2k2
09-10-2009, 10:46 AM
The flea markets here have just about outlawed selling guns. I remember in my younger days"back in the 80's" it seemed like everyone was selling guns out there. I can't recall prices because i was way to young to purchase but i remember seeing alot of long barrels.

I guess the anti gun people started shouting and crying and had to ruin the deal for us all. As for yard sales there few are far between with anything useful around here but then again i live in VA where alot of us shoot.

canebreaker
09-12-2009, 08:35 AM
One of the first gun shows I went to, I picked up a Franklin boolit puller for $2.00 less than what Midway wanted for it before s/h charges added. So I did good on that item.
The last show Flutterby and I went to was disapointing. A Taurus mod. 80 like mine was 350., it looked like someone used it as a hammer, along with sandpaper used on it. Mine was $201. along with 2 boxes of ammo. It has a little holster rub at the end of the barrel, and a few mares from removing and replacing side plate. Before making a soft blow hammer.
I went to a carport sale years ago. The lady had a 20 gauge 870 express and a S&W .38 spl. for $300. Since it was a saturday, banks closed. We agreed I would go to 3 stores and write the check limit of $50. and give here a check for the other $150. When I returned, a guy was walking down the drive with both guns. Oh, that pissed me. But instead of confronting her, I drove off. Sunday morning I drove by her house. There were other items I thought of buying the day before. They were at the street with the trash, saving me about $20.

Rocky Raab
09-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Prices are high because a whole lot of panicked simpletons are paying those prices. Simple - on both sides.

Prices we saw years ago are not relevant now. I used to buy three half-gallons of milk for 88 cents. That doesn't make five dollars a gallon for milk now a ripoff. To put the shoe on the other foot, I also used to earn $1.65 an hour for my labor - does that mean that workers today are ripping off their bosses? Look at it from that angle and see how angry you remain.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Rocky,

there is a different between 4-8% a year inflation and price gouging. When I go to a shop and buy a thousand of whatever primer I need, and when I go to a shop and buy them out with the notion of tripling my money... If you can't figure out the difference you go right ahead and pay $60 a box for primers.

Rich
DRSS

Tom Herman
09-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi Rusty!

I've seen the price gouging as well. Fortunately, I have been reloading for over 20 years, and casting for almost two.
About the only center fire ammo I've bought in the last 20 years is for the .32 auto, which I don't reload yet.
So, I'm pretty much impervious to every Tom, Dick, & Harry trying to sell their reloads.
I used to sell them myself, but liability was too great.
I pass up $50/M primers. Sadly, my favorite gun shop has them at those prices. I don't buy them there, but go elsewhere where the primers are more realistic.
Fortunately, I have an adequate supply so I don't have to be pressured into buying them on the spot when I see them high.
I'm off to the local gun show shortly.
You'll love this: Last time out, there was a guy attempting to sell all sorts of primers, powders, ammo, etc. at hugely inflated prices. People were actually yelling at him! He didn't do much business. People are getting wise.
There was also a geezer sitting there trying to sell some sort of rifle primers at $40/M: He pretty much sat there all day not moving his small mountain of goods, either.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Rocky Raab
09-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Idaho, I cannot see where you think I said that. Nor where you imagine I said I pay $60 for primers.

Of course there are unscrupulous sellers. My point is that they are encouraged by those I called panicked simpletons who PAY those prices.

My other point is that somebody who thinks anything above free is price gouging is simply living in a fantasy world. The way things are today, a dealer has to mark his wares up by AT LEAST 25% just to break even. More, if he wants to actually feed his family by being in business. Yes, a 300% markup is outrageous. But it is also limited by competition, supply and demand. Those dealers won't be around long - unless people pay that price.

If you don't want to pay the asking price, don't. But be ready to either shop around or go without whatever you were planning to buy.

Thanks, Tom. I'll say Hi to Rusty for ya, LOL!

largom
09-12-2009, 12:44 PM
The going price is "what ever the traffic will bare". When the traffic won't bare it the price comes down.

Larry

troy_mclure
09-12-2009, 12:46 PM
i can get all the primers i want for <$35 at the local cabellas.

gun store prices have went to almost normal, but pawn shops are still charging 2-3x msrp.

fleemarkets around here are also charging a premium for cast iron cook ware. its just as high as new lodge stuff.

Lunk
09-13-2009, 01:58 AM
fleemarkets around here are also charging a premium for cast iron cook ware. its just as high as new lodge stuff.

Yes, but sometimes OLD cast iron is solid gold. Do you know how long it takes to get a really good season on cast iron? I've been working over 2 pans at work for almost 2 years now and they are just starting to get good.

That is not to sat that that rusty pitted *** over there is worth it, but sometimes you can find that real good piece. But not for casting. :D