PDA

View Full Version : ? for Star users

Cherokee
09-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I've been using my Star sizer for 20 years or so. Usually it works good and will really turn out the bullets, but sometimes I have a problem with the lube getting fluffy. I use commercial 1x4 hollow sticks of carnuba lube. Usually I just put a new stick in and tighten things down. Sometime I get fluffy lube, sometime not.

Last evening, I put a new stick in and heated the tube enough for the stick to melt down, let it set a little while, then started sizing my RCBS 45-230 CM bullets. After about 10 bullets, I got the fluffy lube. 150 bullets later, I still have the fluffy lube.

I understand the fluffy lube is because of trapped air but how do you avoid it, and second, how do you "fix" it when it occurs ?
:killingpc

Dale53
09-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Cherokee;
I don't have a definitive answer for you but I suspect you have the heat cranked up too high. It works best to just use enough heat to get the lube to flow. I, too, use Carnauba Red and have been very happy with it. I set the heat as I have described.

Dale53

Cherokee
09-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks Dale53 for the suggestion.
I do believe I have the temp set just enough to have it flow correctly. I base that on the fact that I usually can zip along without a problem. Its only when I get this fluffy stuff do I have a problem. The thermostat setting hasen't changed in years but I'll try slightly lower next time.

It's interesting that my Lyman 45, 450 and 4500 sizers are all subject to the same trapped air condition but I don't get the fluffy lube in them.