PDA

View Full Version : Open to Suggestions.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-06-2009, 11:59 PM
I am currently the proud owner of a Winchester M70 in 22-250Rem. I just love this gun. At the moment it has roughly 3000 rounds through the barrel. All the local “experts” say that around 5000 rounds I can expect to have the barrel burned out. If this is true I will have a burned out 22-250 before the end of the year, at the rate I am shooting it. I understand that my choice of barrels will greatly effect cost, but if possible approximately how much would it cost to have the gun rebarreled?
I have heard that it is possible to have the gun rebarreled in a different caliber do to the bolt face being the same as many popular short actions. I am tempted to simply have another 22-250 barrel put on it should the time arise. However if you all where in my shoes what caliber would you chose? The reasons I love the 22-250 are
Flat shooting,
No recoil,
Tack driving accuracy.
I hunt varmints and predators with a 400yard shot being maximum. I also take head and neck shots on pigs and deer with a 200yard shot being maximum. If there are other cartridges out there that you all think I might be better served by let me know.
Thanks!

sundog
09-07-2009, 12:05 AM
If it meets your needs and accuracy does not go south, leave it alone. If you are really happy with the performance and accuracy begins to fade, rebarrel to same and keep going. Cost is wholly dependent on price of new barrel and smithy services, if you do not do it yourself.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-07-2009, 12:10 AM
This will probable open a can of worms, but who makes the best barrels? When I mean best I want great accuracy and good barrel life.

HeavyMetal
09-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Speaking of opening a can of worms I think that 5000 round limit is pretty arbitrirey.

Many "experts" base thier opinions on military training, or on conversations with guys who've had military training, and that training is usually with high rate of fire weapons such as light machine guns and the like.

I will point out that many "believed" the 45 auto would shoot out a barrel in 5000 rounds of 230 Grain "Ball" ammo!

Skeeter Skelton put the lie to this myth by shooting over 5000 rounds through a Gold Cup.

In the end the gun shot better then it did when new!

Now I do realize a bit more goes on with a rifle rounds but I think I'd continue shooting it until accuracy failed and look into barrel makers while I was enjoying myself! Be aware that most barrels are "shot out" because of improper barrel cleaning technique ( cleaning rod wallows out the muzzle of the barrel) The same experts tell you thats the only way to clean a barrel as well.

Lots off guys out there make good barrels. Steels are all pretty much the same wear wise.

Hey a replacement factory barrel may get you what your looking for.

All I can really tell you is take what you hear about barrel wear with a "grain of Salt" and become your own barrel expert!

2ndAmendmentNut
09-07-2009, 01:06 AM
I have no intention of replacing the barrel until it is absolutely necessary.

JIMinPHX
09-07-2009, 01:18 AM
The powder that you choose has a lot to do with how long the barrel will last. When the 220-swift came out, it got a reputation for burning up throats fast. These days, we have cooler burning powders & the Swift will stay swift a lot longer.

Your caliber is not far off from there.

44man
09-07-2009, 08:08 AM
I can only refer you to my 1919 Swede with a worn and pitted bore. Those primers played hob with barrels. It will hold 1/2" at 100 with all bullets so I customized it.
Granted it is not the same as a 22-250 or a swift, but I would not worry until it really starts to fail. You might get another 5000 out of it.

sundog
09-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Who makes the best barrel? That partially depends on what you are going to run through it. Style and depth of rifling, rate of twist, type of steel, weight, contour, etc. A little bit more to consider than just a Ginger or Mary Ann type of decision.

1Shirt
09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Old yankee sayin, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Rocky Raab
09-07-2009, 12:20 PM
For the kind of shooting you do, you may never "shoot out" that barrel. A benchrest shooter would trash a barrel that "deteriorated" to quarter-inch groups. Most other shooters could take that same barrel out of the trash and shoot a happy lifetime with it.

In varmint/predator hunting, 99% of misses are due to mirage, wind or bad distance guessing - nothing to do with the rifle.

However, if you simply have to have a new barrel and cartridge, a 250 Savage would be perfect for your uses.

felix
09-07-2009, 12:31 PM
If you do want another barrel, get a BR takeoff barrel like was hinted by Rocky. BR barrels are 14 twist for the most part, and use that bore diameter with a new case. Example, 6PPC rechambered/recrowned to 243-250 Savage. ... felix