PDA

View Full Version : Am I hallucinating ???

watkibe
09-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Yesterday at the Bi-Mart in Beaverton I thought I was losing my mind. Sitting right out there in the open, with no armed guards or long lines of would-be purchasers in sight, were PRIMERS !!!

They had Remington, CCI, and Winchester. They were too far away for me to read the size/types, but each stack had a couple thousand or so. The weren't selling bricks, but 100s were $2.99.

Bi-Mart is a regional business in the Northwest, and a membership (one time $5) store where you can get a prescription, some jeans, coffee, a drill bit, and some shotshells all in the same place. It's sort of a mini Walmart for real people, and I kinda like it. No 22's again though...

It reminds me of the General Store in Spokane.

crazy mark
09-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Nope. Not hallucinating. The ones around Eugene/Springfield are getting primers and powder in also. Of course they are still limiting sales at this time to about 400 primers per person. Another gun shop had every thing except small pistol but the price was too high. Mark

Shiloh
09-06-2009, 11:29 PM
They are finally starting to show up. They are double what they were last fall at $3.89 per hundred. What are you going to do? If you wasnt to shoot you pay. He has all sizes,
Winchester and CCI

Glad to get them though. The local guy here puts them out a little at a time to prevent some rich fellow from scarfing them all up.

Shiloh

Shiloh
09-06-2009, 11:29 PM
They are finally starting to show up. They are double what they were last fall at $3.89 per hundred. What are you going to do? If you want to shoot you pay. He has all sizes,
Winchester and CCI

Glad to get them though. The local guy here puts them out a little at a time to prevent some rich fellow from scarfing them all up.

Shiloh

lylejb
09-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah, The BI-Mart in Oregon City got in about 60k CCI a month ago, and another large shipment of Remington about 2 weeks ago. Sadly, they DO enforce the 400 primer limit, But you can go back daily if you want / need to. Also, the Wholesale Sports (former Sportsman's warehouse) on SE 82nd, portland had almost all of their cans of powder back on the shelf last week......but still no bullseye.

ggeilman
09-07-2009, 01:40 AM
I got my 100 Winchester large rifle primers Friday. Still no large pistol primers here. Same price. Seems to be the going rate.

Echo
09-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Hit the gun show this PM and came home w/1000 Wolf SR primers, for 30$ +tax. SR are the only ones I am short of now, but others were available for the same price. CCI were $34/1000.
Also bought a used Lee RB SC mold for .360 RB, to use for slugging .38/357 bbls, and also to make cheap plinkers. Looking forward to loading some RB loads to see what they do.

XWrench3
09-07-2009, 06:47 AM
yep, they are starting to show up here as well, for double the price of last summer. in six months, after they sit on the shelf a while, the price will eventually come back down. the deal is, we just NEED to quit buying them like there will be no tomorrow. same with ALL of the reloading components and ammo. i have several boxes of brand new magtec 380 ammo sitting in my ammo can that i bought when i bought my gun. the list price was $12.99 per 50. now, IF you can find them, i have seen them SELLING for $39.99! i am glad that i had purchased 1000 raineer plated bullets, and 500 once fired brass before all of this crud started. they have served me well. but, alas, i have had to bite the bullet a couple of times and buy high priced primers. i did not forsee any of this happening, i was just lucky that i did what i did when i did. hopefully, i can hold off buying any more of the high priced stuff until it gets back to normal. but that will depend on the rest of you guys. low supply + high demand = rediculous prices. normal demand + normal supply = normal prices.

outdoorfan
09-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Yesterday at the Bi-Mart

At first I though you were making a reference to Wal-Mart, as I've heard it called a plethora of names, including names like "Bi-Mart". :bigsmyl2:

mtgrs737
09-07-2009, 10:39 AM
At first I though you were making a reference to Wal-Mart, as I've heard it called a plethora of names, including names like "Bi-Mart". :bigsmyl2:

I refer to Wal-Mart as China-Mart as most of what they sell is from the RED CHINESE. When will Americans wake up.

I have a lifetime supply of primmers I bought back during the Clinton era at around $8 a thousand. Primers will come down in price once the demand drops off.

snuffy
09-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I went to my local gunshop on Saturday to get some matchkings. Lo and behold there was 20,000 Winchester primers on the shelf. All four sizes! I grabbed 1k of large pistol, along with the 69 g sierras. He said when I checked out, that was the first shipment he had seen in over a month. I said, no restrictions? He said if someone took all that was out on display, he had more in back, but he would limit anybody to 1,000, you could mix and match to that total.

I stocked up as soon as it looked like McCain was going to win the rep. nomination. Just a guess, but I thought whoever the dems came up with would win. So I'm sitting pretty on most primers AND powder. Oh, the price was $34.00 + the governors cut.

BrianB
09-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Primers are beginning to filter their way inside the Mississippi borders as well, but in limited amounts. Some stores are only allowing 200 per customer. New Orleans seems to be in rough shape. A friend down there said primers do not exist there or anywhere near N.O. He can't even load for hunting season right now. Guess I'll be a good guy and give him some as an early Christmas present. Powder is low here as well.

You guys are right. If everyone stopped buying enough primers to fill a three-car garage, even for two weeks, that would end the shortage. Sadly, some people would rather have more primers than the next five generations of their family will ever use than let some other folks have a shot at just buying enough for the coming deer season. Oh well, it will eventually work itself out.