PDA

View Full Version : Siamese mauser restocking.

jhalcott
04-12-2006, 10:06 AM
I have a siamese mauser 45-70 that has a VERY heavy stock, leaded front and rear(poured in).I would like to restock it with a sporter stock and hunt with this gun. the barrel is 25 3/8 long from the muzzle to the front of the ring.It is 1 1/8" at the rear and .700" at the muzzle.Will an "F54" barrel channel fit with out a ton of work? Also ,how much work is involved in getting the bolt "bent"to allow
use of a scope? I saw a bolt kit on line somewhere but can not find it now!!!

Char-Gar
04-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Three are three ways to alter the bolt for scope.

1. Cut off the old bolt handle and screw a lower handle on the stub. This is what you saw and Midway sells these gizmos.

2) Heat and forge the original handle to a different configuration

3) Cut off the old bolt handle and weld a new longer handle on the stub. I think this way is best.

How much hastle..depends on how handy you are and what tools and jigs you have. The easy way is to mail your bolt body to Williams Gunsight or another quality gunsmithing outfit for alteration. Not the cheapest, but the easiest and you will get good results.

Char-Gar
04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh yes... I had no idea what a F54 barrel channel is. Given a choice I would take a 1/2" straight channel and do the work needed to inlet the individual barrel. Yep, it is a lot of work, but I don't charge myself to do it. so it works out very cheap.

3584ELK
04-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I have a siamese mauser 45-70 that has a VERY heavy stock, leaded front and rear(poured in).I would like to restock it with a sporter stock and hunt with this gun. the barrel is 25 3/8 long from the muzzle to the front of the ring.It is 1 1/8" at the rear and .700" at the muzzle.Will an "F54" barrel channel fit with out a ton of work? Also ,how much work is involved in getting the bolt "bent"to allow
use of a scope? I saw a bolt kit on line somewhere but can not find it now!!!

When/ if you find a reasonably priced replacement stock, PM me please! I have a Siamese converted to .450 Alaskan that I want to shoot, and the stock is cracked through the wrist. I could repair it, but I don't like the small butt area with such a boomer of a cartridge!

AkMike
04-13-2006, 05:17 PM
I got a thumbhole sporter from Richards Mocrofit (I believe it was) Very cheap and a nice grade of wood. The 95% h did was nicely done and the barrel channel was there. It really made that 45-70 look good.

Buckshot
05-01-2006, 06:15 AM
...........Hoosiergunworks (or Hoosiergunparts) had a sporter stock for a Siamese Mauser.

................Buckshot

Junior1942
05-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Look in the links box at the top right of this page http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/m38.htm for Steve Wagner's Mauser page. There's a how-to article there somewhere showing how to replace a bolt handle with a 1/4" bolt.

This photo shows the results on my 38 Turk. (The deer antler tip looks bigger than it actually is due to being closer to the camera.) Next time I do this I won't solder the 1/4" bolt into the rifle bolt. I'll drill and tap the rifle bolt and install the 1/4" bolt with J&B Weld on its threads.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/m3825.jpg