PDA

View Full Version : hollow point

canuck4570
09-05-2009, 02:32 PM
The ballistic are better with a round nose than one with a large meplat I guess every body will agree on that one.
the bullet with large meplat is better for hunting than the round nose again I quess you will agree with that also.
but if I have the round nose hollow pointed it will be better for hunting at long range than the large meplat one since the round nose is better in ballistic shape than the meplat one and will expand at long range better than the large meplat
your opinion please..
thank Canuck

44man
09-05-2009, 03:25 PM
The ballistic are better with a round nose than one with a large meplat I guess every body will agree on that one.
the bullet with large meplat is better for hunting than the round nose again I quess you will agree with that also.
but if I have the round nose hollow pointed it will be better for hunting at long range than the large meplat one since the round nose is better in ballistic shape than the meplat one and will expand at long range better than the large meplat
your opinion please..
thank Canuck
Depends on the caliber, boolit weight and a bunch of other things.
Actually the large meplat at long range is not as bad as you think. Only a little more drop.
If your round nose is hard and does not expand, hollow pointing it can just make it break apart. A soft hollow point boolit will expand too fast and stop penetration. There is no easy answer and all sizes of game need something different.
Same thing happens when a guy shoots water jugs and recovers a nice mushroom so he figures it will be ideal for hunting---it is just not so, it can fail too.

runfiverun
09-05-2009, 03:56 PM
i fully agree with jim..
you need to take initial diameter and weight into your very first consideration.

GLynn41
09-05-2009, 04:32 PM
my.41 keith hp works fine-- but I had deer in mind-- for me no more than 80 yards or--most ww will expand some at rifle range what ever that is btw so does my LWNGC and it does need to expand//so take your choice

canuck4570
09-05-2009, 04:56 PM
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45016.jpgI have 2 bullet they both shoot good
one is a Paul Jones mold 575 gr. with a .300 meplat
the other is a saeco 500 round nose
I will be shooting these no faster than 1100 fps
so this is the reason I want a hollow point for expansion
I have checked the ballistic on JBM and you are right in saying there is not much difference in drop
guess I will thake the 575 gr. for its energy
thank you for the help

Ohio Rusty
09-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Hollowpoints are less effective on animals that are mean, hairy and dangerous. Hollow points don't penetrate as deep on animals like bears with extra thick and matted hair. A solid bullet with a flat meplat are better for animals like that. Hollow points are great for thin skinned animals like deer and people.
I've not hunted or been with hunters when hunting Elk, rams, sheep or any african type game, so I can't comment on the effects of HP's on those animals. . I've see hollowpoints work well, and also fail on animals.
Ohio Rusty ><>

44man
09-06-2009, 08:24 AM
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45016.jpgI have 2 bullet they both shoot good
one is a Paul Jones mold 575 gr. with a .300 meplat
the other is a saeco 500 round nose
I will be shooting these no faster than 1100 fps
so this is the reason I want a hollow point for expansion
I have checked the ballistic on JBM and you are right in saying there is not much difference in drop
guess I will thake the 575 gr. for its energy
thank you for the help
Well, it looks like a 45-70 or a .450 so I would just use a 20 to 1 lead, tin mix or add some WW's to pure. At 1100 fps with that weight, there is almost nothing that will stop it, so just let it expand.

runfiverun
09-06-2009, 11:01 AM
btw that is an excellent looking cast there.
if i had to put money on it i would say 20-1 already and a ladle.

canuck4570
09-06-2009, 12:54 PM
20-1 mix advice taken
by experience would pure lead do some leading at 1100 fps
reason for asking is that I have a good reserve of it

fredj338
09-06-2009, 01:15 PM
I think the ideal LHP for handgun hunting anyway, would be a heavy for caliber RN profile w/ a shallow cup type point. Cast soft enough to deform some, 20-1 or 25-1, & still heave enough weight to insure deep or complete broadside penetration on animlas upto elk size.

canuck4570
09-06-2009, 02:13 PM
this my point
I don't shoot beyond 1100 fps an rely on bullet weight
this bullet is so long that even with a hollow point 1/4 hinch deep the rest of the bullet is still long like a 500 gr...
guess I will have to hollow point them with a drill and see how they perform
in sand I know this is not a good testing medium but no hollow point they expand to a inche in diameter leaving a good portion 2/3 approximately to drive in for penetration

leftiye
09-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Lead (pure) and non hollowpointed will be on the edge of expansing at those velocities (1100 fps). Usually 1200 fps. is considered more the reliable velocity for this. This is with solid point designs. Hollow points do expand reliably at maybe even 1000 fps. Which same velocity you will only have downrange. I like your idea about a wide shallow hollowpoint on those long boolits.

canuck4570
09-06-2009, 04:22 PM
yes I think so also
but when I will have the mold hollow pointed I will ask for different tip even one that bring the mold back with no hollow point
I see with all the discussions wee are getting somewhere
thanks...

MakeMineA10mm
09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
When I initially thought you might be talking handgun, I was going to warn you of velocity loss at long range causing a HP to be less effective, unless made from REALLY soft alloy, but then I saw you were aiming for 1100 out of a 45-70 (most likely). Those longer/heavier boolits retain their velocity well, so now I'm not so sure - HP may still expand from a reasonably soft alloy...

All in all, I'm inclined to go with 44Man on this one. Choose the flat-point, cast medium (WWs or WWs/pure mix) hard, and not worry about the HP...

canuck4570
09-07-2009, 09:42 AM
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45016.jpg

yes I am shooting a 450 marlin
seriously thinking of shooting pure lead
because I don't shoot over 1100 fps
the bullet above is a Paul Jones mold
that cast 575 gr bullet
I just started a knew thread asking if pure lead will stand between 1050 to 1100 fps

Nrut
09-07-2009, 02:29 PM
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45016.jpg

yes I am shooting a 450 marlin
seriously thinking of shooting pure lead
because I don't shoot over 1100 fps
the bullet above is a Paul Jones mold
that cast 575 gr bullet
I just started a knew thread asking if pure lead will stand between 1050 to 1100 fps

Canuck, does that boolit feed thru your Marlin Lever action or are you shooting it in a single shot rifle?
thx.

canuck4570
09-07-2009, 03:37 PM
I shoot it in my ruger no 1 4570