PDA

View Full Version : Good news for me!

Freightman
09-05-2009, 11:02 AM
This might not have a thing to do with casting but had to put it somewhere.
My cousin a PHD of History and Genealogist has been researching the family history of my mother and his mother for forty years. Now he has sent me a disk with all the research 541 pages from 1630- in New Amsterdam (New York) to Texas, it is complete and he informed me that he has been accepted into the SAR (Sons Of The American Revolution) and is providing the information for me. It seems that we had three ancestors that were Patriots two which were wonded and drew a disability ck. of $8 per month until they died.
As I said not casting but thought I would share.

runfiverun
09-05-2009, 04:42 PM
sounds like you need to send him a decent bottle of whiskey/port something.
thats a lot of work.

DLCTEX
09-05-2009, 05:47 PM
My ancestors on the Clawson side have been traced back to New York in 1776, guess I should check into any of them being Patriots.

Freightman
09-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Hey Dale they might have fought side by side ck and see. My cousin is pretty smart so it was easy for me. He says that "Family Tree" software is about the best. He also said the program makes it where with a little cking anyone can do it.

Bret4207
09-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Good for you! I recently got into it a little and found relations in the Revolutionary war too. I really need to research it further. Anyway, good on you.

NVcurmudgeon
09-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Congratulations, Freightman. I know how it feels to learn you have an ancestor in the Revolution. My 8XGreat Grandfather served as Sergeant Major, Second battalion, Fourth Virginia, at Guilford Court House, Yorktown, and probably Cowpens. I never investigated SAR or FFV membership because I'd be afraid I couldn't afford the dues!

JIMinPHX
09-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I wonder what your cousin could dig up on obama?

Freightman
09-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I wonder what your cousin could dig up on obama?
He said that foreign countries records are not reliable, lets leave it at that!

leftiye
09-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Neither are foreign Presidents!

Beekeeper
09-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I had a relitave that was chased out of New York as a suspected horse thief.
Have always wondered why I checked.
Always thought the family was pretty straight laced before I found that out.
Maybe that is why I am such a trouble maker.

Jim

Buckshot
09-07-2009, 01:59 AM
...............Freightman, that stuff is pretty interesting but a real headache maker. I bet you're glad it was a cousin who did the searching :-)

On my mom's side (Van Leuven) they apparently arrived here in the 1740's. During the revolution they were (or some of them were) loyalists and skedaddled up to Canada. After that they came back down into New York. Some of them then got hooked up with the Mormans and were in Illinois and then Missouri before heading for Utah.

Some came to California with the Morman Battalion and ended up buying property and planting the first citrus in the Mission District of So. California in 1853. When Brigham Young recalled the Mormans they remained here. My 4x great grandfather was the 3rd Sheriff Of San Bernardino county during the Civil War years. He once had to transport some prisoners to the Federal lockup in San Pedro and the 70 mile trip took 4 days. About what it takes today on the freeways!!

The City of San Bernardino was on the cattle drive route up to the NW and was a wild and wooly place. Once time some horse thieves stole some stock and then headed north to the desert through Cajon Pass. So 4X GG'pa got up a posse to go after them. Apparently the "Bad Guys" might have been well known and somehow connected to some of the posse members. As they camped one night in Cajon pass, some of the posse members had a disagrement and a shoot out ensued!

http://mojavehistory.com/lane6.html

Apparently San Bernardino was a hotbed of seccessionist tensions during the Civil War, and some of the Mormans were not well thought of.

I'm glad I had a cousin too who was interested in this stuff and even had a book published.

................. Buckshot

square butte
09-07-2009, 08:12 AM
I think you might enjoy the SAR thing. I did althe research and got the package together for it about 10 years ago. The dues are not that bad. About $45 a year total for both the state and national combined. I don't remember what the application fee was - somewhere around $100 or so. Anyway I have enjoyed it, and it wasn't to tough to get all the documents together. Although I think it was easier for me than some. 3rd, 4th, and 5th great grand fathers are buried just 7 miles from home. 5th, along with 4 sons were Lexington and Concord minutemen. Two went down to the siege of Boston. One killed at Bunker Hill. One was at the battle of Bennington. As you might expect, I just cannot put into words how much that means to me. Especially these days.

Freightman
09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I love old stories and just a suggestion we could have a tales of the past section. Might be very interesting.