PDA

View Full Version : Midway+shipping!

jack19512
09-05-2009, 12:48 AM
I just placed an order on ebay for a mold for my 454 Casull, it is the 300 gr. rf GC. When I went to Midway to order me some gas checks they were priced $36.49 for a box of 1000.

But, when I continued with the check out process the only shipping options I had were either $23.68 or $30.94 for the shipping charges. Now I have not ordered any gas checks for a very long time so am I missing something here???? :shock:

snaggdit
09-05-2009, 12:52 AM
I thought they were adding USPS flat rate as an option? I haven't ordered from them in a few months but that seems really steep. Was that the only thing in your cart?

Zbench
09-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Try midsouth shooters supply...they have better stock than Midway and are usually cheaper. They have an extensive cast bullet section.

Pete

geargnasher
09-05-2009, 12:59 AM
I just placed an order on ebay for a mold for my 454 Casull, it is the 300 gr. rf GC. When I went to Midway to order me some gas checks they were priced $36.49 for a box of 1000.

But, when I continued with the check out process the only shipping options I had were either $23.68 or $30.94 for the shipping charges. Now I have not ordered any gas checks for a very long time so am I missing something here???? :shock:

:holysheep You live on the moon? :kidding:

Did they hit you with hazmat, too?

I've ordered as recently as a couple months ago and 6 lbs was only 9 bucks or so ups ground.

Call 'em. Or call Pat Marlin, for that money he could almost make you a tool! (almost).

Gear

BruceB
09-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Just yesterday I received my latest order from Midway.

The merchandise came to $292, and the total cost including shipping, laid down at my door here in Nevada, was $315...including my "NRA Roundup" contribution of $2.88.

I consider this to be a very reasonable deal. The order was placed by telephone on Monday, delivered Thursday. Good service, I'd say. EVERYTHING I wanted was in stock.

lylejb
09-05-2009, 01:46 AM
there has to be some mistake. what's your zip code?
to check, i just went to midway, and put the same hornaday 45 cal gas checks in my cart, and plugged in my zip code, 97013 ( Oregon)

Based on the products in your shopping cart and ZIP code entered, following are estimates of the shipping rates that should be available to you upon checking out:

UPS Basic $7.42
Should arrive by 9/14/2009
Parcel Post $9.62
Should arrive by 9/17/2009
UPS $10.37
Should arrive by 9/14/2009
Priority Mail $9.39
Should arrive by 9/11/2009
Second Day Air $23.31
Should arrive by 9/9/2009
Next Day Air $49.00
Should arrive by 9/8/2009
Next Day Saver $45.04
Should arrive by 9/8/2009
Priority Mail $11.67
Priority Mail $15.27

there's what i got. I would call them.

Marlin Hunter
09-05-2009, 02:15 AM
I like Natchez shooters supply

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=HO&prodID=HO7140&prodTitle=Hornady%2045%20Cal%20Crimp-On%20Gas%20Checks%201000/box

There is a guy on this board who sells gas checks. I have not ordered from him (yet), but he has a very good price. Check the vendor section

Muddy Creek Sam
09-05-2009, 02:28 AM
I just ordered a bar of Cerrosafe from Midway Tonight.. Shipping to SC first class mail was $4.10.

Sam :D

shotman
09-05-2009, 03:58 AM
Got to watch that next day shipping.

vincewarde
09-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Just FYI for those who do not know - Midway offers dealer prices to C&R License holders. Some of the savings are huge, others not so much. I saved about $50.00 on an optic today.......

Firebricker
09-05-2009, 06:46 AM
I'd give them a call sounds like a mistake. I order a lot from them and never had shipping that high. They have good custormer service. FB

Jim
09-05-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm kinda' put out w/ Midway. For some reason, their site has become incredibly slow at loading. It's not my unit because all other sites I got to load in a flash. My wife uses this PC for her work and she's got this thing souped up like a NASCAR. Got off track.
I sit for minutes waiting for pages to change on Midway's site and nothing happens. I ain't got the patience for that. I go to Midsouth or Graf's sites and no problem. Besides, I get tired of seeing "Out of stock, backorder OK".

winelover
09-05-2009, 06:56 AM
I usually use Midsouth first then Natchez---Midway always seemed high to me.

Winelover

XWrench3
09-05-2009, 07:12 AM
yes, midway's shipping charges are high. apparently, Mr. Potterfeild is passing along every penny of shipping costs (including boxes, tape, foam, etc. plus the hourly rate of his employees along to you in the shipping charges, instead of burrying the costs in the price of whatever you want to buy. which, i guess in all reality, is really the way it should be done. now, the big reason i keep going back to them, really, is twofold. 1) they have the BEST website. period. i have yet to find another anywhere that can even come close. not that it couldn't be faster mind you, but the pics are top notch, along with the product description. when i look at something on the midway website, i know if it is exactly what i want before i buy it. everyone elses web pages pale in comparison. and there is no way for him to pass the cost of this along to us other than burrying the cost somewhere (possibly shipping?). second, the EXCELLENT customer service! i have only had four or five problems with anything i have bought from them. but when i do have a problem, it is taken care of, immediatly, no hassels. and with a mail order (or computer shopping) place, that is quite important to me. this is not to say that i have not bought elsewhere or had nothing but bad experiences. but midway has a big advantage by spending the extra time and money to develop such an excellent website. can you find better deals on stuff elsewhere? certainly. but many times, i have to go back to the midway website to see what somebody else is offering. which is really sad. bottom line is, i will keep going back to midway with the majority of my on-line shopping.

09-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Jack,

Bought a Timney trigger, about 3-weeks ago, from Midway and shipping was $3.08. Somethings wrong with your order.

Jim, I'm with you and have mentioned it before. Midway's site is glacial slow and it's not my computer because all other Internet activity is lightning fast.

I've found, too, that even with my C&R discount, Midway's prices are sometimes more than Midsouth's. In the case of the trigger, Midway happened to be lower.

Graf's and I had a go-round over a hidden fee and I refuse to do business with them.

Marvin S
09-05-2009, 10:45 AM
I just made a large order from Midsouth, everything added up was much cheaper than Midway for the exact same thing. I don't really have anything bad to say about them other than Midsouth simply sells the same stuff for less. I did make a order with Midway a few weeks ago for some items that Midsouth did not have.

runnin lead
09-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Very happy with Midway ,Mid South ,Natchez , Grafs ,Powder Valley & Cabela's , due to shipping distance
Cabela's can be the fastest for me , many times if ordered early ,the next day But this has back fired on me when I realy needed something yesterday , it was in stock , but they didnt say where it was in stock , item came from their Timbucktu store or BFE or cheese head land .
Usualy I go with Midway they get it out fast & are closer ,for scopes hard to beat Natchez

Uncle R.
09-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Bought lots of stuff from Midway over many years. They're straight shooters and have good customer service. Their prices were GREAT many years ago but they're gradually ratcheting upward. Their web site is very well designed but slow enough to be frustrating sometimes. I also like Natchez - they're often cheaper than Midway. I've ordered from them several times without problems.

StarMetal
09-05-2009, 11:04 AM
I like Natchez shooters supply

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=HO&prodID=HO7140&prodTitle=Hornady%2045%20Cal%20Crimp-On%20Gas%20Checks%201000/box

There is a guy on this board who sells gas checks. I have not ordered from him (yet), but he has a very good price. Check the vendor section

Natchezs can go pound sand in their you know where. They have this policy: One they will not sell to TN residents, and two they will only sell to bonafide TN dealers, by that I mean you have a real store. So screw them. Midsouth isn't like that and they are in TN.

Joe

Storydude
09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
For everyone complaining about Midway's site running slow....Upgrade your Flash player.

When they made the change to Flash, the programmers used the most current version of FlashPlayer. Older players will make it crawl.

fj3fury
09-05-2009, 11:24 AM
I remember when Midway done free shipping on anything over 25 bucks. I have no problems paying freight, but when I get hit with double charges on an order with a back ordered part because they have no option to ship the order complete.... That burns my biscuits.

StarMetal
09-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Grafs had free shipping too, but they stuck you with a service charge. Like I've posted my only complaint of all the dealer out there is Natchezs. I'm glad we have what we have or we'd be stuck.

Joe

wallenba
09-05-2009, 01:17 PM
For everyone complaining about Midway's site running slow....Upgrade your Flash player.

When they made the change to Flash, the programmers used the most current version of FlashPlayer. Older players will make it crawl.

Thanks for the tip Storydude, that really kicked Midway's site to warp speed for me! (Not a genius about that stuff)

BrianB
09-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I have all but stopped ordering from Midway. By the time I get to where I want to be, I could have checked and compared prices on two other sites...way too slow and my computer is a G5. (very fast computer) The shipping sounds like a mistake, but the price of the GC's seems high as well, and I just bought 1000 Hornady's from MidSouth last week.

jack19512
09-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back about this I've been pretty busy. I found out what the problem was. Midway can use two different addresses for me, one being my P.O. Box and the other which is my physical 911 address.

This being a very small shipment I put in my P.O. Box, this is the address they send small items such as a mold. I then tried putting in my physical address and then the shipping came to $7.29 which to me seems to be a little much considering such a small package.

At least this is the only thing I can figure out what happened, but I can't figure out why shipping would be pretty reasonable when shipping a two cavity mold but would be ridiculous when shipping a box of 1000 gas checks. Unless the system just had a burp or something. This was the only item ordered. :veryconfu

jack19512
09-05-2009, 07:25 PM
I should add that I have always been happy with Midway but it wouldn't hurt for me to start checking other places before I order.

geargnasher
09-05-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm a bit of a "man of the evening" when it comes to online warhouse shopping, I use whoever has the cheapest stuff in stoc. I've had good service from everybody I've used so far, and never paid more than 13 bucks ups ground shipping.

Gear

Grampie not Grumpie
09-07-2009, 09:40 PM
What's a C&R License??

Grampie not Grumpie,

WILCO
09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
What's a C&R License??

Curio and Relic License.

snaggdit
09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Overview of the Type 03: Collector of Curio and Relic FFL

Most gun collectors will be interested in the Type 03: Collector of Curios and Relics (C&R) FFL. This type of license is very easy to obtain and cheap as well. The fee to obtain the license is $30 for a 3-year license, only $10.00 a year! The main benefit of the Type 03 FFL is that you can obtain old military surplus rifles (typically 50+ years old, but there are exceptions) directly from the importers without having to go through a gun shop/dealer (and the associated markup) and they can be sent directly to your door. There is a minimum of paperwork that must be kept when using this FFL, nothing like the detailed records that must be kept by a Type 01 Dealer. The main point to remember is that this FFL was created for the "Collector of Firearms" not for the dealing in firearms. The actual disclaimer as written on the license states "This license does not authorize the holder to engage in the business of dealing in any firearms".

Marlin Junky
09-08-2009, 04:31 AM
Just FYI for those who do not know - Midway offers dealer prices to C&R License holders. Some of the savings are huge, others not so much. I saved about $50.00 on an optic today.......

Do you have to phone in the order? I don't see how to configure one's account to include C&R discounts.

MJ

dsmjon
09-08-2009, 09:25 AM
If you have a problem with Midway, get offline and use that old thing called a TELEPHONE! :) Seriously, their customer service is among the best I've dealt with.

corvette8n
09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Do you have to phone in the order? I don't see how to configure one's account to include C&R discounts.

MJ
When you send them a C&R you set up a dealers account, when you log in you see both prices retail and dealer, items get added to the cart at dealer prices.

You have to shop, sometimes Midway is cheaper sometimes Natchez or Midsouth, Grafs, Weidners. I have wishlists for Midway, Midsouth and Nathchez and even Caberlas. If your not in a hurry just wait them out.

09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Marlin Junkie,

Give Midway a call, tell them you have a C&R and want to set up a dealer account. When I initially did it, I faxed a signed copy of my license and waited till the rep verified that they received it. They'll tell you how to get set up as a dealer.

Brownells is another company that offers discounts to C&R holders. With the exception of Midsouth, who don't offer a C&R discount, I don't know if the other mentioned companies do or don't.

plumber
09-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Midways C&R discount has become a joke, most of the tome it's just pennies. Grafs discount is huge, but you lose the free shipping.

oleycow
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM

I've ordered from Midway many times, I have learned that their "estimated shipping" option is rather un reliable. giving me much higher (usually) quotes than what I pay. I have learned that if I go deeper into the checkout, the shipping options are more reasonable

How far did you go?

Might be worth checking out

09-09-2009, 11:11 AM
plumber,

You are right about Midway's discount -- fifty-cents here and there -- makes Midsouth's pricing all the more inviting.

Numrich is another company that offers a C&R discount.