PDA

View Full Version : New caster, lube recommendations

ilcop22
09-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Good evening,

I have read through the sticky topics and done a couple searches. This forum certainly does have TONS of information!

Alas, though, I am still looking for some personal opinions.

Right now I have a Lee sizer in .309 for my 30-06 bullets. I have used Liquid ALOX on the first ~100 and then came across this forum. Does the ALOX work well on the rifle, or are one of the other recipes better suited?

Thanks, and I apologize as I'm sure you've heard this 1000 times!

-Brad

geargnasher
09-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Short answer is it depends. You don't give much info to go on. What boolit, g/c or no, velocity range, actual groove diameter, bore condition, alloy, etc.

Best answer is: Try it and see.

My answer is make and use Felix lube or buy some of Lar's BAC or Carnauba Red or some of Bullshop's lubes for high-velocity rifle. (links to these vendor/sponsors at bottom of page).

Gear

ilcop22
09-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm making Lee .309 170 grain bullets and g/c them in the resizer. Velocity is 2k bore is mil-surp but excellent condition. Hard lead cast bullets from wheel weights.

Thanks for the response.

geargnasher
09-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Brad, try the LLA lubed ones you have. Load 20, shoot them for grouping, push a patch through every 5 or so, look for lead smears on the patch (not to be confused with powder fouling).

Just had a thought: I'm assuming "mil-surp" means Garand? or a retired Remington 700? I don't shoot any of the military gas-operated autos, but you may need some advice from an expert in the field before shooting cast in a gas-operated auto. Lube/lead bits may clog the works, but I don't know for sure. Someone will chime in.

Gear

Marlin Hunter
09-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Just had a thought: I'm assuming "mil-surp" means Garand? or a retired Remington 700? I don't shoot any of the military gas-operated autos, but you may need some advice from an expert in the field before shooting cast in a gas-operated auto. Lube/lead bits may clog the works, but I don't know for sure. Someone will chime in.

Gear

I have heard that cast bullets get damaged (effects accuracy) when they are being fed into the chamber during cycling. I don't know why it would be any different than a manual feeding bolt action. Maybe it's the speed or maybe the people I heard it from are full of something besides knowledge.

ilcop22
09-05-2009, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll shoot what I have with the ALOX.

I'm not too worried about firing the cast's in my M1 Garand. I've done quite a bit of reading up and the consensus is a g/ced 160-170gr bullet with 35gr of 4895 is adequate. Let's hope I'm not proven wrong, though!

geargnasher
09-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Be careful and let us know how they shoot!

Gear

runfiverun
09-05-2009, 09:09 PM
35 gr is more than adequate. i find better accuracy in the 28-30 gr area.
28 with a bit of dacron is my go to load in the 308 etc.

Dale53
09-05-2009, 09:10 PM
ilcop22;
I am not a compulsive cleaner. However, you do want to take the gas cylinder apart when you clean the gun when you are using cast bullets. Failure to do so, can result in an inability to GET it apart. This is not a major problem unless you fail to do this...this will be caused by an accumulation of lube and lead fouling.

FWIW
Dale53

ilcop22
09-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll be sure to follow it.