PDA

View Full Version : A great time had over at rbstern's house today

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-11-2006, 07:20 PM
I went over to Rich's house (rbstern) for some casting instruction today. I had a great time and met his lovely wife (Much better looking than he is, of course and get this, she not only shoots, she fishes too!! Is he lucky or what? Ken yee believe it?) who came in while I was there.I

Here's all the neat stuff I got to learn and try out:

1. Ingot casting
2. Bullet casting (got trained on mold lubrication and sech)
3. Used my new .45ACP boolit mold
4. Tried out Rich's 9MM boolit mold
5. Tried out Rich's Lee Turret Press.
6. Checked out his Lee Loadmaster and Pro 1000
7. Checked out his neato reloading bench setup
8. Was there when he got some "goodies" for reloading in the mail (three sets of dies.)
9. Got to check out and compare notes on his woodworking shop (Neat as a pin boys, neat as a pin.), as we both own woodworking shops.
10. Got to check out his very neat and efficient reloading setup.

I learned a ton of stuff about casting boolits today. Boy, is it ia lot simpler than I ever imagined, while at the same time, giving lots of opportunity to think. I could see the potential and came away with ways to improve the setup I had planned along with a different perspective on how I want to proceed. I have moved "off the dime" casting wise and will certainly be exercising my new knowledge soon.:castmine:

Rich spoilt me by allowing me to cast a good handful of .45ACP, then lubing the bullets with Lee liquid alox (My mold is a tumble lube mold.) and putting them into a snap lid plastic container for me to take home. He also had me load up a box of 50 9MM after we cast them, then packaged them up to take home. He also gave me a stick of the old Lyman hard lube he uses to lubricate his molds with. Can you say "What a generous guy!!!" ?:drinks:

I tried to buy his lunch when we went out to get food at noon, but he absolutley refused. I reckon I'll have to find 'nother way to pay him back.

We didn't get to shoot today, as time got away with us, but made plans to go shootin next week up'it the range. I'm looking forward to shooting with him.

I brought over a few measley firearms for him to check out and get some ideer of what could be possible with a 1911 or S&W revolver. He seemed to enjoy that, near as I could tell.

All and all a great time was had by all I think and I look forward to hanging out with Rich again in the future.

The only bad part of the whole day was gittin home and having to mow the front yard with the slope from hell.:(

Regards,

Dave

Doc - J
04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
WOW... It's really nice to have people help. My hat goes off to Rich.....
Now.... Move to Fla... <g> so I can get In-Riched..........

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Doc,

Where you at in Florida? Rich likes to fish an so do I. (grin)

Doc - J
04-11-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't fish..... don't wanna polute the water with lead....
But my club is going boar hunting $150.00 guarantee for a 100 lb. bigger costs more. [good thing Im not jewish] Pig BBQ next week...... <g>

rbstern
04-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Dave brought over some guns he had done his own finish work on. Hot salt bluing, stock work, grips, etc. Beautiful, beautiful stuff.

He's got a highly custom RIA 1911 that I'd gladly take over any high end 1911, each and every day of the week. He's clearly a pro at polishing and bluing guns. Dave, you should post a picture of that gun for the folks here to drool over.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Tell ya what Rich, I'm pretty clueless about taking good pictures and posting them, how about I bring them back over, you take the pictures and teach me how to post them? (grin)

Regards,

Dave

Buckshot
04-13-2006, 03:10 AM
.............It is certainly great to have shooting buddies, and have them close enough to where you can go visit and chew the fat, or just mess around with stuff.

I'm blessed that way too, in having several guys able to get together and shoot each Tuesday. We did loose one in that Shooter451 had to go back to work full time.

Anyway, it sounded like fun and I'm sure it was an enjoyable time. Now just think about doing that with 10-15 others and their wives, shooting, BBQ'ing, drinking beer and BSing, going out to eat and shooting some more. Oh yeah, and more beer drinking and BSing? Of course the beer and shooting are seperate deals, but there is pleanty of time for both.

What you have then is the NCLBS or Nevada Cast Lead Bullet Shoot, held in Winnemucca, NV.

..................Buckshot

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Buckshot,

You've just given me an ideer for a shootin social event here. Now I gotta figer how to go bout making it happen.

Regards,

Dave

todd987
04-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Dave - I'm interested if you guys get together. Either casting or shooting. I'm headed to Wilson Shoals this morning to try out a few boolits I cast for my .308 (first batch).. Todd

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Todd,

I sent you a PM.

Dave