PDA

View Full Version : First Melt, made ingots and lessons learned.

AJ Peacock
09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
All,

First I'd like to thank you all for the great forum. I learned enough reading the forum to gather all the necessary equipment. I've been scrounging ML bullets and shotgun slugs from the 50yd berms of a couple local public ranges. Over the last few weeks I scrounged 28 pounds of slugs. I'd bring them home and blast them with the garden hose, then I'd lay them out on a screen under a computer fan and let them dry for a couple days. I then went through each slug and dug any dirt/sand that was packed into the bases.

I borrowed a couple ingot molds and a ladle from a friend of mine. He only has a nice Lyman bottom pour so I needed to figure a way to smelt my scroungings. I found a cast iron pot for $1 at a yard sale, along with a $0.25 muffin pan. I had an old pot with a top and decided to just put all the slugs in there and try to melt them all at once. I used a coleman portable grill for heat. The big question was whether or not it would produce enough heat to melt nearly 30lbs of lead all at once. I decided to NOT stand the grill up, it seemed a better choice to keep everything as close to the ground as possible.

Well, with a little trepidation, I put the pot on the grill and turned one burner on high. After about 25 minutes, the bottom slugs were melted enough to see the shiny from above. After almost an hour, the entire pot wasn't melted yet, but a little stirring with the spoon (that I liberated from my wifes kitchen [smilie=1: ) showed that the stuff I was looking at was just floating on top!

I decided it had melted enough to flux. I dropped a 1/4"x1/4" chunk of parafin wax and stirred the pot. I was totally amazed, as the top 1/2" of the pot was actually just floating on a beautiful silver pool of molten lead 8-) I was a little concerned that maybe I didn't have enough heat and I was going to be removing too much stuff, but I proceeded to scoop it out and drop it into the cast iron pot.

When the wax hit its flash point and ignited, I almost jumped out of my skin!

I fluxed it a couple more times until it was pretty much all molten lead. VERY COOL!

When I dipped the ladle into the lead, I realized I should have pre-heated the ladle :groner:

Well I decided I needed a drink of water anyway, so I placed the ladle in the pot and went and got a drink. I did pre-heat the mold, but should have done more.

I ladled the molds full a few times and fluxed a couple more times. I ended up with 24 ingots (mostly full) and I poured the last bit into the muffin pan. The small disposable bottle of propane bit the dust right at the end and a little lead was left in the pan (you can see it in the picture on the muffin pan). I'll probably take the muffin and last bit of lead from the pot and use it in my next smelt.

Here are some pictures of my setup and the results. The muffin is a bit porous (is this due to lack of heat?) I had run out of heat and the lead was starting to solidify in the pot as I poured it.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/Boolit%20Casting/P1040628.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/Boolit%20Casting/P1040630.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/Boolit%20Casting/P1040629.jpg

Anyway, thanks again.

AJ

Rockchucker
09-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Looks like the beginning of a great hobby to me. Congratulations on your first pour.

Shiloh
09-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Your There!!!

Nice looking ingots. Get some molds and a way to pour. Lube, load, and shoot. It is a great feeling when you shoot boolits that you made. You do have reloading equipment don't you??

Shiloh

qajaq59
09-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Welcome to a great new hobby. And the ingots look good to me.

AJ Peacock
09-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Your There!!!

Nice looking ingots. Get some molds and a way to pour. Lube, load, and shoot. It is a great feeling when you shoot boolits that you made. You do have reloading equipment don't you??

Shiloh

Yep, I've been reloading for 35years (pistol, rifle and shotgun). I've just never cast boolits before (or yet).

I have a 320gr REAL muzzleloading bullet mold on order (.50 cal, with .490 roundball combo). Also a .311 buckshot double cavity mold (I hate buying buckshot, I feel like I'm getting taken advantage of every time).

The ingots are really soft, I can easily scratch them with my finger nail. I think my temperature was just barely hot enough to melt the slugs, in fact a few of the slugs wouldn't melt at all. I wonder if they were a different alloy and the melting point on them was higher than my melt? Anyway, it's probably good that I kept it cooler.

I've loaded a few 100,000 cast bullets for my .357 cowboy guns over the years. Here is a video of me shooting some of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9vkhHG6vk

I still have 5-6k of those bullets, so won't need a mold for that for a while (since I haven't really shot cowboy in the last 4 years).

I'll probably get a mold for my 7mm-08 or .243 next, maybe a 12ga slug mold too?

AJ

lylejb
09-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Congrats on your first pour.

As far as porous muffins, i get the same thing when I pour / ladle too fast. I think i get some splashing and small air bubbles get carried in. This gives some of the muffins sort of a "mini moon craters" look. I don't bother to pre heat ingot molds/ muffin pans. It doesn't matter what they look like, the're going to get melted down when you cast anyway. Don't worry about it.

Welcome to the obsession.....now, about that next......

09-04-2009, 07:18 PM
AJ,

Enjoy. Your wallet is about to become thinner.

Marlin Hunter
09-04-2009, 07:35 PM
I suggest in the future you don't melt your lead on that BBQ grill. Not if plan on eating something off it in the future. Buy a turkey/fish fryer. the fryer can be used for other things because raw food will/should never touch any part of the burner.

Cherokee
09-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Congrats - enjoy the casting...

AZ-Stew
09-05-2009, 03:11 PM
AJ,

Nice video.

If you're going to cast for .243 and 7-08, you'll need to toughen up your alloy a bit. From your description, it sounds like you're working with pure lead. Pure is OK (recommended) for ML and shotgun slugs, but won't take the pressure in CF rifle loads using smokless powder. Leading is likely with soft rifle boolits. See if you can find some clip-on wheel weights to get some antimony and tin in your mix, add some Magnum birdshot for a touch of arsenic. This alloy can be heat treated to harden boolits enough to get them well over 2,000fps. Tin-bearing solder can be added in small quantities to improve castability.

You've opened the Pandora's Box of casting. Have fun with all the possibilities.

Regards,

Stew

45nut
09-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I think my temperature was just barely hot enough to melt the slugs, in fact a few of the slugs wouldn't melt at all. I wonder if they were a different alloy and the melting point on them was higher than my melt? Anyway, it's probably good that I kept it cooler.
Pure lead has a higher melting point than alloys, could be that is why they didn't melt.

You DO want to keep the temp low when processing use wheelweights,, since the zinc ones will float and can be kept out of the alloy.

Great start though!

AJ Peacock
09-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Pure lead has a higher melting point than alloys, could be that is why they didn't melt.

You DO want to keep the temp low when processing use wheelweights,, since the zinc ones will float and can be kept out of the alloy.

Great start though!

Thanks, I might keep those slugs aside and see if they melt in the next batch. Maybe by then, I'll have a thermometer.

Thanks,
AJ

AJ Peacock
09-05-2009, 04:33 PM
AJ,

Nice video.

Regards,

Stew

Stew, Thanks. I actually won the midwest regional top gun shootoff with that run (back in 2005). I used to shoot A LOT. Not as much lately, too busy with the kids.

AJ

gerrycan
09-05-2009, 05:09 PM
AJ,
Great shooting .WW [clip - on wheel weights ] are what you need . Welcome to our great hobby. Gerry [down under]