PDA

View Full Version : .450 Marlin semi-auto

seppos
09-04-2009, 01:41 PM
One of my customers requested a .450 Marlin conversion from Browning BAR.
Here is some fuzzy pics from it.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq319/seppos_photos/1252077939.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq319/seppos_photos/1252078003.jpg

Earlier on I have converted similar rifles to .416 Taylor.

This one was a bit trickyer due to the fact that it was .308 in the begining.
I will test the feed with MM:s 400 grain cast with generous +.35 meplat
Dummys work 100%, so in a couple of days I will test the rifle in live fire at the range.

S

leftiye
09-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Very interesting! I have had the project running around in my head for years to modify a belted magnum BAR to fire .458 Win.. Should be a purty good tight sichiation gun!

seppos
09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
.458 should not be a very big problem in BAR.
Actually in the first project I discussed with the customer about the caliber.
I suggested the .458, but he wanted something more exotic and desided that it should be
.416 Taylor.
Pritty potential also with almost 5000 ft.lbs.
He told me later on that it was not very difficult to launch 3 shots in the running moose target per single run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNnO34rLIJM

The weapon was of cource equipped with muzzle brake or supressor to cut the recoil.. but still a quite of a performance..

S

PS. the video is not from his performance but shows only about the running moose target..

Ole
09-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm a huge fan of the .450 Marlin cartridge.

I hope the project is a success! :drinks:

seppos
09-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Due to the need of wide variety of cartridge options I made a adjustable gas port to it.
In test shoot there was some feeding problems that came from the fact that I used the .308 magazine.
The fatter .450 does not fit so well to the lips, so I adjusted the shape of the bridge.
Bridge fits pritty well to the magazine, but are more sensitive now the its position.
It feeds 100% when leveled sideways.. minor canting looses round from the lips prematurely causing feeding problems.
I managed to solve the problem, and will test it live again soon..
Wide meplat was not an issue, the lack of gascheck was..;)
some minor leading inside the gas port caused also some problems with the function.
Civilian weapons with civilian tolerances..
I might have to try next .458 SOCOM in SKS or AK.. Then the too tight tolerances would not cause any issues like that..
Couple of hundred new brass has waited years for a platform..
Friend of mine has reamers for it.

S

EMC45
09-11-2009, 11:41 AM
How about a Kalishnikov in 450? That would be nice!

seppos
09-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Maybe that would be possible to do from .308 Saiga. (.450 Marlin)
From the Kalashnikov (AK-47 or AKM) the 450 bushmaster would work better.

eagles
01-19-2012, 09:35 PM
DEAR SEPPOS PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO CONTACT YOU TO GET THE 416 TAYLOR B.A.R. WORK DONE ? THE 450 CONVERSION LOOKS GREAT . WHAT BRAND BARREL DO YOU USE ? willsanders@earthlink.net I do not know if I will be notified if I get a reply to this request . THANK YOU !!! Will

jmorris
01-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I have a 458 socom, it is a rebated rim bottle neck round. Its short, fits single stack into a standard .223 double stack mag. It peaks out about where 45-70 loads start.

Did he pick the 450 marlin because he doesn't reload? Seems that 45-70 would have been better from a brass standpoint and can be loaded identical to the 450.

eagles
01-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Can anyone tell me if SEPPOS the member who made the 450 Marlin BAR still a member ??? The post is a few years old and I got no answer to my question or a private email I sent him on this forum . Does anyone know if he has a shop and what the name of it is or anyone else who can make conversations like this ? Thank you ,I can be emailed at willsanders@earthlink.net

Te Hopo
01-21-2012, 04:48 AM
Can anyone tell me if SEPPOS the member who made the 450 Marlin BAR still a member ??? The post is a few years old and I got no answer to my question or a private email I sent him on this forum . Does anyone know if he has a shop and what the name of it is or anyone else who can make conversations like this ? Thank you ,I can be emailed at willsanders@earthlink.net

Give it time, his profile shows he last logged on here in early Dec 2011 so he's still around somewhat.

But I can understand why you are so keen to know more about this, talk about the ultimate woods rifle! :twisted:

eagles
01-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks , I want the 416 Taylor .I don't think the action is long enough for the 416 Remington. I have tried , in vain on the web to find any info on this conversion at all or reports on the guns converted . Not sure how they are using after market barrels since the locking lugs on the bolt lock in he barrel and not the receiver . I thought if anyone knew if he had a listed gun shop I could just call or maybe the owner of one of these guns could shed some light .

rexherring
03-25-2012, 03:11 PM
It's been a long time since the first post so, how did it work out?