PDA

View Full Version : Powder recommendations?

2ndAmendmentNut
09-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I am looking for advice on a powder to load the following cartridges.
380Auto, 9mm, and 45Auto.
I have been using Unique which is fine, but I would like something a little cleaner. Also I am seeking top performance, because these loads are going to be defense loads. If there is no one good powder just let me know what powders I should try.

KYCaster
09-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I am looking for advice on a powder to load the following cartridges.
380Auto, 9mm, and 45Auto.
I have been using Unique which is fine, but I would like something a little cleaner. Also I am seeking top performance, because these loads are going to be defense loads. If there is no one good powder just let me know what powders I should try.

Universal is very close to Unique in lots of applications and is MUCH cleaner. Unlike Universal, it is prone to pressure spikes when used at the high end of its useful range, so work up to max loads carefully.

Hodgden list loads for the cartridges you mentioned.

Jerry

LowPE
09-04-2009, 12:30 PM
It depends on what you are launching and from what. Don't you have access to reloading books?

Personally, I wouldn't use the same powder for all three for your application.

In general, the use of reloads in self defense against bipeds is usually frowned on but smiled on for use on our four legged friends. Of course, this is a topic that has been debated here vigorously....do a search.

Matt_G
09-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Take a look at W-W 231 or Clays. Both are clean burning.
I'm seeing loads for all three calibers you mentioned using 231 and loads for the 9mm and 45 ACP using Clays.

Are you using old Unique?
The newer stuff seems to burn cleaner than the old stuff.

SierraWhiskeyMC
09-04-2009, 04:45 PM
I have heard very favorable reports about Hodgdon's Clays from a number of .45 ACP target shooters in regards to cleanliness and accuracy. However, it is a faster powder than Bullseye, which makes me apprehensive about trying it for high-pressure loads; I'd weigh every charge.

I suggest that it is not in your best interests to attempt to handload defensive ammunition, particularly in the smaller calibers.

.380 Auto is at best a marginal self-defense round. You would be very hard-pressed to match the reliability and terminal ballistic performance of commercially available defensive ammunition with handloads. When the chips are down and you're armed with a .380 Auto, you need every bit of stopping power you can get.

A 9x19mm has considerably more power than a .380 Auto, but still you need reliable expansion for maximum transfer of the projectiles' kinetic energy to the target. There have been numerous reports from military sources regarding the necessity of multiple hits (3 or more) with 9x19 ball ammo to disable a non-armored enemy combatant.

A .45 round just by virtue of it's larger diameter would transfer quite a bit of energy even if it didn't expand. However, I want the best opportunity for a one-shot stop.

I've been reloading on and off for several decades, but I don't handload my own defensive rounds.

I don't use semiauto pistols for home defense, either, even though I have at least one of each in the calibers you mention. There are just too many things that could possibly go wrong with a semiauto at a very inopportune moment.

I have a couple of .357 Magnum wheelguns hidden in different areas of the house with factory defensive ammo.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Thank you all for your replies and concerns. I suppose I should have been more clear, when I said for that these rounds are to be for defense. What I should have said is for defense ammo until I can find factory ammo for sale again. I personally prefer and own a number of wheel guns my favorite being a 357mag. However I like to practice with all my guns on occasion, that is why I am looking to make a load that works to get me by until I can find some descent factory loads.

runfiverun
09-05-2009, 03:12 PM
titegroup will do fine.

c3d4b2
09-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Here is a link that makes it easy to compare powders.

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Relodata/Burning_Rate_Chart.jpg

SierraWhiskeyMC
09-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Titegroup is even faster than Clays!

If I'm going to work up a pretty "hot" load, I prefer a powder that's slower and bulkier than what I'd use for typical target or "plinking" duty; easier to get a reasonably consistent throw in the powder measure for starters, and then use the powder trickler on the scale to get it right on.

Working up loads for semiautos is more work than for wheelguns; you have a relatively narrow range between FTE/FTL and beating up the slide/frame.

Alliant changed the manufacturing process of Unique powder a couple of times over the last few years to make it burn much more cleanly. If your Unique is a few years old, you might try a fresh bottle and see how it goes.

Hodgdon's Universal may burn cleaner; I don't have any to try out. It does look like a decent candidate.