PDA

View Full Version : How many of you load your favorite revolver load progressivly?

Gunslinger
09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
During my time as a reloader I've heard numerous times that "you should load your most loved revolver load by hand"... this has recently got me thinking -WHY???

I have a Dillon XL650 that I use for .38 special and 9mm. I'm really impressed with the powder drop! I chronoed 20 9mm loads recently and every one was between 1108fps and 1118fps. I don't think I can load them that accurately even if I do it by hand.

I also have a Lyman turette that I use for rifle loads and .357. But god it takes forever to prep brass this way. So I thought why not just load my .357s on the Dillon?? I use 180gr boolits cast from an LBT and take much pride in these loads...

Basically I'd just like to know how you guys load your .357, .44, .454 etc.?

Shuz
09-02-2009, 01:17 PM
I load all my .44 mags on a Dillon Square Deal B, and have for over 20 years now. I love this machine.

Bob J
09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I load my SW500 Magnum on a Dillon 550B....;- )

WARD O
09-02-2009, 01:29 PM
The Dillon 650 - wouldn't be without it! I load a dozen or more pistol calibers and 223 and 22-250 with this machine. My hobby is reloading and I do enjoy spending time at the bench but I don't like wasting time. This machine will put out hundreds of rounds per hour of high quality product!

Ward

09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I learned on a single-stage press and am too old fashioned, stubborn and frugal to want to change.

If I shot competitively, I might reassess things, but I don't and haven't plans to so.

sqlbullet
09-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I am going to loosely interpret 'revolver' as pistol, and comment.

I load all my 10mm auto on a single stage. I have access to a square deal B and to a Lee pro-1000, but have never used them.

I generally don't load enough volume to justify learning to use them. I tend to do my reloading in batches....I will deprime/size a couple hundred one night while watching a show with the wife, then prime a bunch a different night. I charge, seat and crimp without such distractions.

I don't have anything against progressive. The square deal b is slated to go on my bench since the owner (friend) doesn't have a place to keep it. He has 357 and 44 Mag dies for it. I suppose once he comes over and gets that in place, I will learn, and maybe even be temped to spring for a 10mm top end. Just haven't felt limited yet.

mike in co
09-02-2009, 01:58 PM
two 550's do all my volume reloading....44 mag, 38 spcl, 357 mag......

if you like loading more than shooting use a single stage press...me, my time is too valuable to waste time.

mike in co

beagle
09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Amen to that......../beagle

I learned on a single-stage press and am too old fashioned, stubborn and frugal to want to change.

If I shot competitively, I might reassess things, but I don't and haven't plans to so.

ciPeterF
09-02-2009, 03:02 PM
I load 38, 9mm, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, and 7mm TCU on a 550.

EMC45
09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
All my loading is done on a single stage. Hunting ammo for the rifles and all handgun ammo.

StarMetal
09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Does a Lyman turret press count as slightly progressive? If so I load mine on one.

Joe

dragonrider
09-02-2009, 03:31 PM
All of my handgun ammo is done on two Pro 1000's, an RCBS piggyback progressive, Lyman AA and a Dillon 650. I do all my rifle ammo on a Lyman T-mag and a Lee Challenger or the Lyman AA.

Rockchucker
09-02-2009, 03:34 PM
45acp,380acp,38/357,44mag/special,9mm, are all done on a 550b. 270,30/30, on a Rockchucker Surpreme. At the moment I'm sizing some 223's on the Rockchucker and then trimming the cases but then they're going back to the 550b for powder & bullets.

44man
09-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I use my Lyman as an almost single stage. I size, then expand. I seat, then crimp.
I see nothing wrong with a Dillon as long as the dies are best for accuracy. If dies do not cut it, the whole press is useless since accuracy is all I load for. One boolit in the boiler room of a deer at any range is better then 200 fliers.
Is the Dillon a one hole group shooter or a mass production noise maker? I can't answer because I don't have one and have never seen results with rounds loaded from one. They might be great, but I am not willing to spend the money to find out.

kidmma
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
44spl on a Dillon - Square Deal B.
An hours worth runs me out of components.....:-|

Big Boomer
09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Gunslinger:

My favorite handgun loads (.45 Colt) are done via Dillon's XL650. I shoot a trio of revolvers, all with cast bullets, plus .45 ACPs (though I don't load the ACPs on the Dillon - I use a Hornady Pro-Jector for those and .357s).

The only thing I do to prepare for loading the .45 Colts is trim for uniform length when I begin with new brass. I'm using Star-Line brass, which I think is good. Then when the brass stretches, I trim again.

I shoot a heavy .45 Colt boolit - LBT 340 gr. WLN gc boolit at high velocity (around 1400 fps). Kicks like a mule but is very accurate, more accurate than I can usually hold from 25 out to 100 yds. All done on a Dillon XL650. 'Tuck

Calamity Jake
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
I load 29 calibers, from 38 sp to 30-06. All hand gun is done a 550 + .223, everything else is eather on a rockchucker or forster coax.
I load 12ga on a mec 9000 also.

oldtoolsniper
09-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I am one of those who needs hands on experience before I am sold. I have two Mec 9000’s , one Sizemaster, one Mark V jr. for 12 gauge. I have a Forster co-ax, rockchucker supreme, three different Herter’s, a square deal, 550b and a CH 444. I use them all depending on what I am doing. If I want dead spot on accuracy I use the RCBS charge-master checked on a RCBS 10-10 with the loading done with the Forster co-ax. I get virtually no run out with this press. I use that for my varmint boolit loading. The rest I just crank out on whatever press is under the smallest pile of debris. After using them all if I could only keep one for shotgun and one for rifle/pistol I would keep the Sizemaster and the Forster co-ax.

Char-Gar
09-02-2009, 04:34 PM
About 15 years ago, I thought I ought to get modern and bought a Dillon Squard Deal B press for 45 ACP and 38 Special. After I loaded a double charge 38 Special and fired it, I got rid of the progressive. No damage done, but I wanted nothing more to do with the machines.

I use a Redding turrent for handgun and an old RCBS A2 for rifle ammo.

high standard 40
09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
No progressive press for me. I like to feel each case as it goes through each die, one at a time. Also hand seat each primer into a cleaned primer pocket. Been using a single stage press since I started loading. I do shoot silhouette competition. Usually 120+ rounds per match. Still don't want progressive.
But I look at loading the same way I look at shooting. It is a hobby unto itself so I don't mind the extra time a single stage requires. Kinda like casting my own. Same thing.

mpmarty
09-02-2009, 04:40 PM
45acp, 10mm get dumped in my vibrating case cleaner and then all go straight to my Dillon 550B. I deviate on rifle ammo inasmuch as I use a universal decapper in any old "C" press on fired rifle cases and then tumble them clean. I then inspect for case length and clean primer pockets. Then I use a hand held primer to seat primers. My Dillon 550B setup for rifle cartridges has a Lyman "M" die in position 1 and I disable the primer feed so the process is M die, charge powder, seat and in fourth position, crimp. On 7.62 Nato I use a lee factory crimp die on 45/70 I just use a very light taper crimp.

mike in co
09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
45acp, 10mm get dumped in my vibrating case cleaner and then all go straight to my Dillon 550B. I deviate on rifle ammo inasmuch as I use a universal decapper in any old "C" press on fired rifle cases and then tumble them clean. I then inspect for case length and clean primer pockets. Then I use a hand held primer to seat primers. My Dillon 550B setup for rifle cartridges has a Lyman "M" die in position 1 and I disable the primer feed so the process is M die, charge powder, seat and in fourth position, crimp. On 7.62 Nato I use a lee factory crimp die on 45/70 I just use a very light taper crimp.

put the universal de-priming die in a dillon tool holder and do the 308 there...much faster..only touch the brass going in, not going out.

Mavrick
09-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I used to reload to shoot, now I shoot to reload.I've got a progressive, but it's to load shotshell. I load for two .41 Mags, and like to change(test) ammo, so it's easier to load on a single-stage. Most of the ammo I load is shot over a chronograph. I've chrono'd a lot of ammo that's been loaded on progressives, and there's no real problem...The reloader needs to take a little care picking components,tho'.
I shoot a lot of different loads, at a lot of different levels, but one load I shoot a lot, is used for local competition in action-pistol. I keep approx 500 rounds available. It's loaded on an RCBS Super Rockchucker, and powder measure. There are times I'll have shot 200rnds, but I can check the cases a little closer because it doesn't "get lost" in the machine until it comes out and needs to be thrown away.
Over 95% of the ammo I load uses boolits, of different alloys, depending on the use, and velocities.
Have fun,
Gene

thebigmac
09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I LOAD ALL MY .38'S AND .357'S ON MY SMALL CAMDEX. (left over from my old business). I HAVE BOTH THE DILLON 550B AND THE 650XL. MOST OF MY LOADING IS DONE ON THE 650. JUST A FEW ON THE 550. CASE PREP TAKES LOTS OF TIME, BUT THE LOADING SESSION IS A BREEZE. AS SAID ABOVE. STILL I HAVE A SINGLE STAGE PRESS ON THE SIDE.. I SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN MY LOADING ROOM.. CASTING IS DONE OUTSIDE IN MY SCXREENED IN ROOM. AT MY AGE I NEED ALL THE COMFORT I XCAN GET,

outdoorfan
09-02-2009, 06:01 PM
I HATE reloading. It takes too much time. Casting is much more fun. However, I appreciate the savings and flexibility that comes with reloading. I just upgraded my Rockchucker to a Lee Classic Turret. If I had the money I'd go ahead and get a 550b or a Lock'n'Load to go with it. Did I mention that I hate reloading?! To each their own.

BLTsandwedge
09-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Many, many thousands of rounds through a 2nd-hand Dillon Square Deal. I've been tempted to upgrade to a 550 or so, but all I shoot are revolvers. On an occasion or two I've compared single stage press reloading accuracy against the progressive. What I found supports using either- depending on the application. I've had problems with the progressive metering anything but the finer grained powder. The most common problem I found was in using flake powder in small quantities- as in Unique for 3.5-4 grain target loads for the .38. I'd get a reduced charge round about every 200- not a squib, but noticably lighter. Bullsye meters fine. Having said that, using the Square Deal for light to heavy charges of fine grained powder such as W231, W296, AA#9 etc I've found no accuracy difference. The Square Deal is for pistol calibers- I can't speak to rifle accuracy comparisons.

Crash_Corrigan
09-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I pretty much load every thing on a Dillon 550B except for those tiny 380's. Those go to a single stage press.

However I usually deprime with a single stage press and then clean the primer pockets and then polish the brass in a vibratory cleaner. Then I prime, load powder, bell casing, seat and crimp in the Dillon.

I find the Dillon priming system to be pretty good and the powder measure meets all my expectations. Again though I usually run the completed rounds through a Lee FCD and final inspection prior to putting up the ammo for future use.

I could probably cut down the steps and still get acceptable ammo but I enjoy all the steps and I would rather spend the extra time to make sure the ammo I assemble is the best I can achieve.

When I am shooting my 1911 and every shot is hitting where I aim and all the recoil is the same and all the empty cases are piling up in a neat pile next to my right foot I know that I have done a good job.

The question still remains ----- Do I shoot to reload or reload to shoot?

JIMinPHX
09-02-2009, 07:06 PM
My first press was a Lee 1000 progressive. It was all I had for many years. I loaded many tens of thousands of rounds on it, if not hundreds of thousands or rounds. I shot many impressive groups with that ammo & a box stock pistol that had no smith work done to it at all. I even outshot guys on pistol teams that had guns worth 10 times what mine was worth.

jforwel
09-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I load just about everything on my Dillon 550. My 27 year old Rock Chucker is for rifle rounds since I don't load many at a time and I have my Lyman Spar T set up for .44 Special and Magnum just because it's there. But it keeps me from having to swap calibers on the 550 as much as I otherwise would.

STP22
09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I started on a Dillon progressive in Sarasota back in the early 80`s. Case length after sizing meant little to me back then. As the learning curve finally began to slow a bit, I saw the importance of uniformity in my handloads. When I started loading rifle calibers, it began to come into focus...fast.

The individual steps using a single stage press allow the time to clean primer pockets and monitoring square case mouths and lengths that pay off on the target when I started to test my shooting abilities, not the firearm being used.

Obviously, I don`t mind the extra time spent...hell, I enjoy each aspect as described.

My opinion of course...

Echo
09-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Both. 38, 40, and 45 on the 550, 357 and rifle on the RC.

10mmShooter
09-02-2009, 08:55 PM
All three 10, 38, 44 all on my Dillon 650 I also load 45acp for friends.

Shiloh
09-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I load all handgun cartridges on a Dillon 550.

Shiloh

HeavyMetal
09-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Depends on what load I'm going to shoot.

if I need a lot of my std IPSC load or 44 mag load the Dillon get called on.

If I'm loading test rounds, either for accuracy (powder or boolit) or for some other specific need I'll use on of the small turret press's or my Lee Challanger.

Each need has a different set of parameters to be addressed.

fredj338
09-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I load most of my handgun ammo, some 11 carts, on a 550B. SOme odd ball stuff, like 44-40 & 41mag, I load on the single stage. It isn't worth buying the changeover or taking the tie to do it for the small amount of those rounds I shoot a year. Even my 44mag gets loaded for th emost part on the 550B. I also have a die set to load them on the single stage when I want to just load a few for testing.

targetshootr
09-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I use a 650 to load about 10 calibers. Hard to imagine using anything else despite an occassional surprise.

Heavy lead
09-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I was fine with the Lee Turret presses until I got my LNL and learned it. Originally I was just loading 45 acp, now I have two presses, one for 44 and 45, one for 45 acp, also I've finally got another set up for 41. 357 and 38 will be the next LNL, so that'll give me four. I will continue to reload 454 and 475 on the Lee Classic Turret. I probably will always do rifle on the single stage, but maybe I'll switch .223 over to the LNL too. I really like those presses.

LAH
09-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Always have and always will load all on progressive machines.

Landric
09-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I load .38 Special with three different powders: HS-6, 2400, and Trail Boss. HS-6 meters wonderfully in my Lee Pro Auto Disk that I use with my Classic Turret. Both 2400 and Trail Boss have issues. The 2400 seems to vary nearly .5 grain in the Auto Disk one way or the other without any obvious rhyme nor reason. The Trail Boss doesn't vary, but it leaks from the Auto Disk a lot more than I would like.

So, when I load HS-6 I use the Classic Turret, when I use Trail Boss or 2400, I use one of my single stages. Since .38 Special is tied as my most high volume cartridge (with .45 ACP), I am seriously thinking about getting a 550 for it. Trail Boss and 2400 both meter well in my Uniflow and Dillon Powder measures (and Trail Boss also works quite nicely in my Lee PPM, haven't tried 2400 in it).

The only cartridge I currently load on a true progressive is .45 ACP, which I load on a Dillon SDB. I would just get a second SDB for .38 Special, but I am thinking of also moving my .223 loading to a progressive (brass prep would still happen on the Classic Turret).

At the moment, my handloading falls like this:

.45 ACP-Dillon Square Deal B

.44 Special- Lee Classic Cast and/or RCBS Rockchucker Single Stage

.44 Russian- Lee Classic Turret

.357 Magnum-Lee Classic Cast and/or RCBS Rockchucker Single Stage

.38 Special- Lee Classic Turret, Classic Cast, or Breech Lock Challenger

9x19mm- Lee Classic Turret

.32 H&R Mag- Lee Breech Lock Challenger

.32 S&W Long- Lee Breech Lock Challenger

.223 Remington- Lee Classic Turret

.30/30, .444 Marlin, .45-70- Lee Classic Cast and/or RCBS Rockchucker Single Stage

Ricochet
09-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Does a Lyman turret press count as slightly progressive? If so I load mine on one.
Same here. I don't use it "progressively" normally, though.

jgt
09-02-2009, 10:40 PM
I have a used 550B Dillon that I bought used. It was not used much as the two previous owners didn't understand the instructions so installed the wrong components and it never worked for them. My biggest complaint is with the priming system. Dillon sent me a new one once but it only lasted a short time and went back to its old ways. So I don't trust it. I was use to my single stage system of prepping cases ahead of time so when I got ready to load the cases were sized, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, flash holes uniformed, primer pockets uniformed, and primers hand seated. It doesn't take all that long if you have prepared the cases ahead of time. I enjoy reloading and casting or swagging bullets so my focus is on a reliable accurate load. If I had a 550B that the priming system worked like designed I would use it, but at the moment it just takes up space on my bench.

R.C. Hatter
09-03-2009, 01:15 AM
I've loaded on single-stage presses all my reloading career of some 49 years. I've worn out two presses loading both revolver, pistol and rifle cartridges. I'm too old, too set in my ways, and too frugal, to get a fancy progressive rig when I can use what I have and save the money for components or moulds.

snaggdit
09-03-2009, 01:47 AM
I use to my single stage system of prepping cases ahead of time so when I got ready to load the cases were sized, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, flash holes uniformed, primer pockets uniformed, and primers hand seated.

This is what I do for my rifle loads with the exception of .223 except when I am working up loads. I use a Rockchucker for the rifle loads or any workups. For my pistol loads (.357/.38, 9mm, .380, .40, 10mm, 45) and large runs of .223 I use my Lee Pro 1000. I have the dies set in separate turrets so it saves me having to reset them every time I switch calibers. I had some issues with flake powder not metering that well, but installed a vibrating apperatus on the hopper and it fixed those issues. I still don't load under 3.5gr of flake with it, though. I am with Outdoorfan, I prefer to shoot rather than load but time spent in front of the bench is still fun. Casting is more fun than loading but shooting is tops!

Lloyd Smale
09-03-2009, 06:14 AM
I havent loaded a handgun round on a single stage press in probably 20 years. Even a good portion of my rifle rounds are loaded on progressives. Id rather spend time shooting then spend it loading.

Down South
09-03-2009, 06:16 AM
I load everything but rifle on a 550B.

Matt_G
09-03-2009, 10:15 AM
All my revolver/pistol rounds are loaded on a RCBS AmmoMaster Progressive.
.45ACP, 38/357, 44 special and magnum and 45 Colt.
The only handgun cart I load using my RockChucker is 357 Max. I just don't shoot enough of them to justify setting up the dies in the AmmoMaster.
All rifle is done using the RockChucker as well.
12 gauge is done on a Mec 9000G. (My first progressive)

I do deprime all my handgun stuff on the RockChucker though so I can clean them first.
Then size in #1, prime and bell with M die in #2, charge powder in #3, seat in #4, then crimp in #5.

1Shirt
09-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Me and StarMetal! About as fancy and progressive as I will ever get!
1Shirt!

WARD O
09-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Again - Dillon 650 - wouldn't be without it! I have the 650, a Redding T7 turret and a RCBS Rockchucker all set on the bench and use them all frequently. The Rockchucker pretty much only sees use in heavy sizing operations and such. The Redding is for most of my rifle and some handgun but the 650 does far and away the bulk of the work. The Dillon dies are great and I am glad I finally discovered them as well.

I've shot a lot of 223 that was very carefully loaded on a single stage press with Redding precision dies thru my varmint rifles. I tried the 223 on the Dillon 650 and found that the results were still shooting sub half inch groups. Now I use it for my 223's and 22-250 varmint rifles. No - I don't FL size rifle on the Dillon but do that as a seperate step when necessary. Once you've become familiar and gotten used to switching calibers and such on the press it becomes less intimidating. About the only frustration I have with the 650 is when the primer feeds decides to act up - and that isn't very often.

I use the T7 for many calibers - but specially like it for my black powder cartridge rifle shooting. It allows you to have several dies set up and available at one time which is a very nice feature for BPCR.

Ward

Huntducks
09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
All pistols done on a Dillon SDB.

I'm set up right now for 45acp using unique it drops 5.5 to 5.6 grs every time I pull everyone of the first 10 and there right there then I pull like every so often to double check.

That's close enought for me.

lurch
09-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I guess I'm one the young(er) old farts too stuck in his ways with a single stage to worry about a progressive. I'm Rockchucker all the way. I could see a progressive for some handgun in the future - maybe - but my rifle rounds will always be carefully done one at a time. I just like it that way.

Unless you count shotshell, then it's a 9000G. Just make sure the darn primer drops and ends up where it's supposed to be. Anybody who has one knows what I mean.

mike in co
09-03-2009, 02:45 PM
death is not when you quit breathing,
death is when you quit learning.

a progressive press will produce as accurate a round as a single stage press. its more about the operator than the tool.

mike in co

broomhandle
09-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi Sir,

I reload every thing on the Dillon 550 B!

I have never had a problem with the Dillon primer system! (20 + years)
If you can call them they will help YOU step by STEP to set it up correctly.

I DO resize & trim RIFLE cases on the old RCBS press first.
Good reloading practice /Common sense states the cases may be too long!
I have won rifle, pistol / revolver matches using the Dilon loads with no problem.

Best,
broomhandle

fecmech
09-03-2009, 05:56 PM
All of my pistol and rifle (.357 lever gun) loads are on two CH Auto Champ progressives and my other metallic press is a Lyman Spar T turret with a powder measure on it and auto primer feed. I load small batches and test loads on the turret usually and when I settle on a load I run it on one of the Auto Champs. IMO there is nothing more intrinsically accurate about a single stage press vs a turret or good progressive.

gon2shoot
09-03-2009, 06:18 PM
I bought a progressive,loaded about 1000 rds. and put it back in the box.

I learned to load looking and feeling of each round through each stage. My eyes aren't that swift anymore so I depend a lot of feel.

I was taught that each round you build is a small bomb that you're going to detonate close to your head.
I also see loading as my "relax" time, so I'm not in a rush to crank out 1000 rds. (I try to stay a few 1000 ahead so it's not a problem) :lovebooli

Recluse
09-03-2009, 07:04 PM
My all-time absolute favorite load for ANY gun is .38 Special with a Lee TL158SWC boolit in front of some AA#5 punched by a WSP and fired out of my beloved hogleg S&W 686.

And I've been loading it--by the thousands, if not tens of thousands--on my little ol' Lee Pro1000 for more than 20 years.

Why change now?

Am seriously contemplating a Dillon 650 for my 45ACP, my second-favorite round.

All magnum rounds are loaded single-stage only, as are my match-grade .44 Specials.

:coffee:

AZ-Stew
09-03-2009, 08:13 PM
In the age B.D. (Before Dillon), I loaded TENS, maybe HUNDREDS of thousands of rounds of handgun ammo on my Rockchucker. It was all I had. Single-stage was all MOST of us had. My single-stage press years covered 10-15 calendar years.

A friend of mine introduced me to the late Dan Cotterman, who used to be the Handloading Editor for American Handgunner Magazine. Dan had a Dillon RL-550 (early 80s vintage) that had been given to him by Dillon for evaluation and write-up. Since Dan didn't load mass quantities of ammo, he had little use for it, so he sold me the entire setup, press, two powder measures, several caliber conversions and some other stuff in the mid-80s for about $100, if I recall correctly. I've used it and expanded its capabilities ever since and now have die heads for 11 cartridge setups, from .30 carbine through .45 colt. Some are semi-duplicates, like .41 Mag and .41 Spl, .44 Mag and .44 Spl., just so I don't have to re-adjust dies for crimping and mouth belling. The die plates are cheap and good carbide die sets can be found for small $$ on e-bay. It's worth the $10-20 to eliminate the die adjustment. All my dies are carbide, so I don't have to deal with case lube.

ALL rifle ammo is loaded on the Rockchucker. I prefer to wipe the lube off my cases immediately after sizing, and to prime rifle cases with the Lee hand tool. In addition, I just don't trust the Dillon powder measure to drop charges as consistent as the ones from my Lyman #55 or the DPS-1200.

Regards,

Stew

Cherokee
09-03-2009, 08:20 PM
I load any high volume handgun rounds on my Dillon 650. I use my CH 4 station press when I am developing loads. Oh, the 25, 32 and 380 ACP's are manual only. So far all rifle is manual.

wallenba
09-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm retired and have too much time on my hands especially in winter, so I make work of it. Single stage batch loading for my 45ACP 200 swc's for the 625. All others on a Lee classic turret set up as; sizer, Lyman 'M' expander, Lee charge through expander (modified the expander button so as not to touch the case walls), then seater. The crimping is done separately on the single stage. All powder charges are thrown into spent 45 Colt cases ahead of time, then dumped through a funnel in the Lee charge die set up in the turret press. Enough work for ya?!

primerless
09-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I like loading my Dillon, the Dillion Calender helds me concentration!

DLCTEX
09-04-2009, 05:50 AM
I load 45 ACP on a Lee LoadMaster, 38 Special and 22 Hornet pistol and most rifle calibers are loaded on a Lee Classic cast turret, some rifle are loaded on a Rockchucker.

StrawHat
09-04-2009, 07:17 AM
I still use my Dillon 450 for loading revolver cartridges. Mostly 38 Specials and the 45s. The old press is a bit of a pain to change cartridges and dies but "you dance with who you brung". Rifle stuff gets loaded on a single stage or a Lyman 310.

I used the Dillon to load ammo for the 8 years I shot PPC. Quite a few rounds, never added them all up but I was buying bullets (HBWC) about 10000 a month. The boolits for the 45s, I cast those, so not as many. Now all my boolits are cast, rifle and revolver.

I've thought about upgrading to a 550 or whatever is current, but like the semi progressive nature of the 450.

jeff423
09-04-2009, 08:00 AM
I do all my center fire pistol (.32, .32 H&R. .38, .357, .41, .44, .45) loading on a Dillon XL 650 with case feeder and primer filler. I load for rifles on Lyman Crusher II.
I do have a backup set of dies for each pistol caliber to use on the Crusher. This is so that if I only want to load 10-20 rounds to try a different recipe I don't have to change over the Dillon.

Jeff

38-55
09-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Hey Ya'll,
FWIW I load almost all me pistola rounds on a lee 1000... Just got done stripping in down and cleaning it.. I do that about once every two years.. has around 200,000 round through it.. It's getting pretty worn out.. but still does a good job. I do taper/roll crimp in a separate op in single stage press as I feel it gives me more control over the goinings on and it's one more opportunity to do a QC check on my rounds..
Stay safe
Calvin

odis
09-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Bought a Square Deal in the 80's for a $125.00. Prior to that I loaded everything on a Rockchucker. I would weigh out each load with a trickler and scale and it was a good week if I shot 50 rounds. After I bought the Dillon I was shooting hundreds of rounds a week and could see no difference in quality. I don't understand double charges unless you run the case through twice.

Matt_G
09-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I don't understand double charges unless you run the case through twice.

Some powders can bridge in the drop tube. On the next cycle it can clear itself.
So you can end up with one case without powder (or very little powder) and the next case with a double charge.

Geraldo
09-04-2009, 09:37 AM
When I started shooting a lot of .44 magnum in the early 1990s I bought a 550B and never looked back. Any handgun caliber that I shoot in quantity gets loaded on it. For calibers I don't shoot much of, rifle cartridges, or stuff I'm testing gets loaded on a Co-ax or a Redding turret.

wickerbill
09-04-2009, 02:13 PM
All of my handgun rounds and auto rifles are loaded on a modifided Dillon AT500. It has all of the 550B upgrades but the auto powder measure. I don't like the Dillon powder measure. I use the powder funnel die and a Lyman 1200 DPI. The rifle rounds for the bolt single shots and all load development are loaded on a Rockchucker.

sargenv
09-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Not only do I load my pistol ammo on a progressive, but I also load my 30-30 and 223 rem on a progressive.... and the 30-30 is reduced cast bullet loads utilizing trail boss. I'd load my 308 Win on the progressive if i had the conversion kit for it.

Calibers on the 650 = 9mm, 38 super, 38 spl, 357 mag, 40 S&W, 10 mm, 45 acp, 30-30 Win, and 223 Rem.

I also process the 223 and 30-30 on the porgressive (trim, size, etc) on the 650.

Two things I can't do on the 650. Chamfer case mouths for the 30-30 and swage primer pockets on the 223.

whisler
09-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I load for pistol calibers on a Lee Classic Cast Turret press and rifle calibers on an RCBS single stage.

jdgabbard
09-05-2009, 04:29 AM

+1

I have thought several times about upgrading to a turret press, simply to increase volume a bit. But I personally believe that if each round is given TLC in the reloading process not only will you have a high quality product, but you will also have less of a chance for mistakes. Like double charges, ect. Just my thoughs.

machinisttx
09-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Dillon XL650 user here

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-05-2009, 07:35 AM
I reload or have reloaded the following cartridges progressively using a Dillon 550, 650 or a Hornady LnL AP:

Pistol
.380ACP
.45ACP
.38 Special
9MM Luger
9 X 18 Makarov
7.62 X 25MM

Rifle
.30 Carbine (really a complex pistol cartridge from a reloading standpoint in my opinion)

I reload or have reloaded the following cartridges with a single stage or with a turret press of one type or another:

Pistol:
.45ACP
.38 Special

Rifle

8MM
7.62 X 54 MM
.30 Carbine

After shooting a bunch of ammuntion loaded both ways over a ten year period, I wouldn't reload single stage unless one of these conditions exists:

1. I wanted to shoot at ranges above 400-500 yards, closer to a thousand, get 1 hole groups at a hundred (rifles made for 1000 yards). I seldom shoot at these ranges, so this is generally not a consideration for me and if I did, it would be with a custom made firearm.

2. I wanted to compete in Bullseye pistol competition shooting at 50 yards. To be honest I'm not sure I can make pistol ammo on the single stage that's superior to what I'm making on my Hornady LnL. I would have to test it, but with the accuracy & consistency of the powder dumps I'm getting using case activated powder drops, I'm willing to bet my progressive rounds will match or beat the single stage reloaded rounds in most cases with most pistols. Unless again, the firearms are custom made for the task with custom fitted parts done for extreme accuracy.

3. I want to compete in matches where one hole groups are desired, such as bench rest. Again, this is for hand fitted, custom made guns in most cases.

4. I'm reloading cartridges for hunting and the volume is so low (less than 20), it's not justified reloading progressively. Though again, due to the fact my Hornady LnL can change a single die so easily, if I'm already set up for the caliber, I can add the hunting rounds on at the end of a large batch of stand ammo simply by swapping the sizing die and the seating die to ones set up for the hunting round.

So the bottom line for me is:

I very seldom reload any ammunition with a single stage and my single stage is used mostly for oddball specialty tasks.

Regards,

Dave

MakeMineA10mm
09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I load most of my handgun ammo, some 11 carts, on a 550B. SOme odd ball stuff, like 44-40 & 41mag, I load on the single stage. It isn't worth buying the changeover or taking the tie to do it for the small amount of those rounds I shoot a year. Even my 44mag gets loaded for th emost part on the 550B. I also have a die set to load them on the single stage when I want to just load a few for testing.

I keep noticing all the time that Fred and I are more and more alike. One of these days we need to meet up!

I load 380, 9mm, 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 10mm, 44 Mag, 45ACP, 30 Carbine, 223/5.56, and 30-06 on my Dillon 650. For the most part (except 44 Mag & 223) these are standardized loads - I use one bullet and one powder charge for the load for that particular cartridge. There's no changing powder charges or bullet-seating depths, etc.

I also run the 44 Spl and 44 Russian through the 44 Mag tool head for size, deprime, and reprime purposes - then I bell mouth and dump powder with a Lyman 55 mounted on a Lyman M-die (in one pass) in my single-stage and seat and crimp in the single stage (in one pass, mostly - sometimes I run them through a crimp die again, depending on the bullet used).

I load 223 for long-range varminting/target work on my Bonanza Co-Ax - because of the limited run-out on that press, and if I start shooting high-power with a Garand, I'll load those on there too.

Everything else gets loaded on a Lee Classic Cast single stage. "Everything else" is stuff that I just don't load a lot, like 6.5 Jap, 7.7 Jap, 30-30, 303 Brit, 7.9mm Mauser, and some others. I used to have a Rock-Chucker mounted on the bench, but I "upgraded" to a Lee (adjustable handle positions & through-ram spent primer catcher are features I wish the Rock Chucker had for years...) I also use my single stage for trimming with a Dillon Rapid Trim and for Universal de-priming jobs.

Dale53
09-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I have two 550B's, one RCBS Rockchucker, a Lee Classic Turret, and a Lyman Turret (T-Mag II). 95% of all of my loads, eleven different calibers of rifles and pistol loads, get loaded on the Dillon 550B's. The Lee Classic Turret is for experimental and small runs (sets up in seconds for a different caliber). The Lyman is a dedicated BPCR press.

My center fire rifle loads were used in Big Bore Shooting and I guarantee you they were ACCURATE.

Dale53

bisley45
09-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I load all of my hunting rounds with a RSBC rockchucker (rifle and pistol)
but I do have a dillon 550 and I load for the same cal as my hunting rifles and pistols but for hunting and I like the rockchucker for it seems I have more control just my 2 cents

watkibe
09-06-2009, 10:34 PM
No progressive press for me. I like to feel each case as it goes through each die, one at a time. Also hand seat each primer into a cleaned primer pocket. Been using a single stage press since I started loading. I do shoot silhouette competition. Usually 120+ rounds per match. Still don't want progressive.
But I look at loading the same way I look at shooting. It is a hobby unto itself so I don't mind the extra time a single stage requires. Kinda like casting my own. Same thing.

I pretty much agree. Sometimes I have to quit loading and take some time to go do some of that darn shooting to empty out some cases so I can get back to reloading...

I have a Lee Load Master that I don't use much anymore. Firing a double charged case and having to get a new cylinder for the revolver sorta took the fun out of churning out lots of rounds. I use 2 single stage presses set side by side. I use them together, for example, to size and then expand, or to seat and then crimp. I only get the progressive press set up when I get a wild hair to do a lot of revolver shooting for some reason. I have never loaded for rifle on it.

MakeMineA10mm
09-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I pretty much agree. Sometimes I have to quit loading and take some time to go do some of that darn shooting to empty out some cases so I can get back to reloading...

I have a Lee Load Master that I don't use much anymore. Firing a double charged case and having to get a new cylinder for the revolver sorta took the fun out of churning out lots of rounds. I use 2 single stage presses set side by side. I use them together, for example, to size and then expand, or to seat and then crimp. I only get the progressive press set up when I get a wild hair to do a lot of revolver shooting for some reason. I have never loaded for rifle on it.

This is the second or third comment I've seen about double-charged cases, and I find it quite interesting. One of the things that I always felt was a bad design on certain progressive presses is manual indexing. Interestingly, Dillon's cheapest press (the SDB) has auto-indexing, but the next step up (the 550) does NOT... I went with the 650 partially because of the auto-indexing and partially because it could handle full-length rifle cases. Plus I liked how every operation was automated except for inserting the bullet.

I know there's such a thing as powder-bridging, but I've never seen it. Perhaps this is because I only load ball powders in my progressive machine, or perhaps it is because of the design of the Dillon powder measure. (It moves the powder from alignment with the reservoir to alignment with the charging case mouth, so that the reservoir and case are never connected - hard to bridge powder that way...) However, I can't help but wonder how the possibility of a double-charge comes from the loader getting fouled up on failing to index, or design of the powder-drop system, or choice of powder? Please be assured I'm not picking on anyone, I'm just thinking that with choosing a good design and using certain powders, a lot of this worry of double-charges is negated.

Dale53
09-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I've loaded over a hundred thousand rounds with a progressive press (first CH, then later on a couple of Dillon 550B's). I suspect that I have had TWO double charges in thirty years or so. No damage was done to the revolvers, but it certainly COULD have done so.

The solution is NOT to depend on auto advance nor any mechanical device - they can all fail and Murphy states that they WILL fail, somewhere, some time. One of my double charges came with my Lee Pro 1000. Operator inattention can do it with mechanical advances, too.

In my case the solution will be to use a powder bulky enough to see and to watch each case as it goes from the powder drop to the seating die. The time that is most dangerous is when you are micro adjusting the amount of flare or the seating depth or degree of crimp. You are concentrating on that particular problem, can get distracted and do a double pump and THERE you are. After the press is up and running, an operator gets in a good groove and is not apt to make a misstep.

That is ALL minimized by using a somewhat more bulky powder that will obviously show a double charge that is easily seen. Then, WATCH each case as it comes off the powder drop.

You don't have to go as far as using Trail Boss (although that might be a VERY good choice) but, say, using Unique instead of Clays. I am currently using Clays in some pistol calibers (I won a can in a match) but when it's gone I'll not be replacing it. It just does not bulk up enough to suit me. It is working VERY well but you've heard of the quote, "It's too much of a good thing", well Clays is "Not enough of a good thing":mrgreen: and I guarantee you that a double charge of Clays would be "Too much of a good thing":evil:.

FWIW
Dale53

mike in co
09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
double charges are caused by a simple STUPID decsion by the reloader.

you CANNOT double charge if the load exceeds 50% of case capacity.

being cheap and trying for a load which is less than 50% of capacity is ASKING FOR AN ERROR somewhere down the line.

ALL DOUBLE charges can be eliminated by simply picking a powder/charge weight that exceeds 50% of case capacity

when loading lower than 50%, the only way to ensure no double charge is to only allow one charge on the bench at a time.( when i load cast boolit rifle ,say with 2400, i weigh one charge, dump it into the case, seat the bullet, and then do the next. when done with that loading, i then weigh all loaded rounds...looking for one that might exceed the norm by a full charge weight)

so what i'm saying is if you load less than 50% capacity, you must load one at a time.....or dont blame anyone or anything when you experience a double charge in your gun. it was your fault, not the machines.

mike in co

MakeMineA10mm
09-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Good points, Dale.

I guess I predicated my comments above (without saying it - my bad) that we're paying attention to what we're doing. Personally, I tried the Dillon Powder check die in station #3 of my 650 (what that station was added for on that press), and found that it didn't work reliably at all. I removed it, installed an LED flashlight and now I visually check each and ever round that I load. My attention is very focused on looking into the case at station 3 and setting a bullet straight on station 4... Every 100 rounds, break the monotony by re-charging primers, cases, powder and boolits... This system has stead me well through a few hundred thousand rounds loaded.

Only loading problem I've ever had was a squib that was either old powder or lube that had melted and infiltrated the powder - and that round was loaded on a single-stage press...

BTW, I use ball powder that usually does NOT fill up the case over 50%. No distractions and having a good method of checking the powder charge is another reliable way of assuring no double-charges.

watkibe
09-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey Dale - I didn't mention why it happened, but if you thought I meant the progressive press caused it, I didn't. You are right, it was my stupid mistake. The progressive press just made it easier for me to make the mistake. Like Dale 53 says up above, I was making an adjustment and failed to pay attention.
The reason you can't make anything foolproof is that fools are so darn ingenious. That's why we have 3 basic gun safety rules: always treat it like it's loaded, never point it where you don't want to shoot, and keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target. Think about it - you could break one, even two, of those rules, but if you are obeying at least one of them, the chance of an accident is really reduced. It's redundancy, or failsafe, or safety overkill. That's why I now never use a load under 50% capacity. No more Bullseye for me ! It's why I only charge one case at a time and immediately seat a bullet on top of it. It's why I almost always use the two single stage presses I mentioned above. I need all the help I can get, being a fallible human being and an old fart to boot !