PDA

View Full Version : computer Illiterate

kirb
09-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Hello guys since we went to the new server I can't logon with my home computerto the castboolits sight, but I can log on at work. It is timing out on me what do I need to do to fix this. I am going in to castboolit withdrawals.

kirb

sqlbullet
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Kirb,

Couple of suggestions.

First, go to the website by google search or by typing in the URL, not by using a bookmark.

You can also try clearing your cache and history, as well as removing castboolits.gunloads.com auto-logins if any.

You don't mention if you can get to the site, only that login timed out. Can you confirm if you are browsing the site without logging in? If not, it could be an issue with DNS at your ISP. I assume the new server is at a different numeric address, and your ISP may still be handing out the old one.

Just some quick thoughts.

09-02-2009, 01:42 PM
You didn't say when you tried, but Monday night (about 7 or 8 pm PDT) I was experiencing the same problem and figured the site was having some sort of problem.

Some things is life are pretty straight forward, but when it comes to those rascally electrons that drive computers it isn't so. Seems they have a mind of their own and have a tendency to wander off in all directions whenever they see fit.

45nut
09-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Things should be settling in with the new dns numbers about now. Server maintenance should be minimal and with top performance as the goal here we should be set for years to come with the new server. Thanks to all that made it possible!
I forwarded the link to this thread to Willy so you are not forgotten!

9.3X62AL
09-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Our friend Kirb has done me a great service with his thread title.

It describes me succinctly.

This is not to say that the site is making trouble for me--not at all, it runs like water through a downspout.

oneokie
09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Try this:

(I had to do this while online for it to work)

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in "CMD"
Type in " ipconfig /flushdns"
(do not put in the quotation marks)
(there is a space between g and the slash)
hit enter
Type "exit" and hit enter.

Willy instructed me to wait 3 hours before trying to access the site, but that was right after the change over to the new server.

lurch
09-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Assuming your ISP dns server has updated with the new address, try opening a command window (Start menu -> Run... then enter cmd in the box and hit enter)

In the command window that comes up run this command:

ipconfig /flushdns

If your local dns cache on the machine is still holding on to the old IP address, this should fix it.

lurch
09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Dang 3 minutes too late...

kirb
09-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks Guys I will try when I get home 20 more min of work.

Kirb

Gunload Master
09-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Apparently you didnt get on again, try this:
Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in "CMD"
Type in " ping gunloads.com"
(there is a space between g and the other g)
hit enter

when that happens you will be shown an IP address. Something to the effect of: 74.204.167.99 If it shows ANYTHING besides that # right there, then there is something wrong with the DNS servers of your internet provider, or your computer. And that flushdns should work if that's the case for your computer.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Deputy Al, suck what?

AlaskaMike
09-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Apparently you didnt get on again, try this:
Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in "CMD"
Type in " ping gunloads.com"
(there is a space between g and the other g)
hit enter

when that happens you will be shown an IP address. Something to the effect of: 74.204.167.99 If it shows ANYTHING besides that # right there, then there is something wrong with the DNS servers of your internet provider, or your computer. And that flushdns should work if that's the case for your computer.

Very good advice there!

The DNS change should have propogated out completely within 24 hours (based on what I can see of the DNS records for gunloads.com).

The "ipconfig /flushdns" trick is something I have to use on Windows computers far too often because they like to cache DNS info in really stupid ways. Regardless, it's a harmless thing to try (if you only have good data cached and you flush it, your computer will simply re-query your ISP for it, so nothing lost there).

Mike

9.3X62AL
09-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Deputy Al, suck what?

HEY--I know you know what that means. Don't be bullyraggin' me.

kirb
09-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I will try again this afternoon when I get home thanks.

Kirb

crazy mark
09-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Was there a problem last night. I kept getting a message to the effect that the site was down and the admins knew about it.
Mark

Matt_G
09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Was there a problem last night. I kept getting a message to the effect that the site was down and the admins knew about it.
Mark

Yes, there was an issue with the MySQL database. Took 'em a while but they got it sorted out.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Deputy Al, I was quoting Dom DeLoise from Robin Hood,Men In Tights. A very funny Mel Brooks film. At least I thought it was funny. Of course I am a little different.

dromia
09-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Boolit talk I'm just getting the hang of, but this SQL, DNS< Flush Toilet stuff has me beat.

Great to know that there are people here who know what the jianich this all means. :killingpc

Gunload Master
09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Yea, there has been a gremlin admist our Database since we switched over to the dedicated server. It's taken about a week really to get it fixed, and I think the last part of it was taken care of about 5 minutes ago.. I finally got the last error cleaned up! If anyone spots something out of the ordinary, please send me a PM. Thanks and I hope everyone is enjoying the new speed :)

kirb
09-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Yahoo I'm back thanks for your help guys. Good thing wife said I was getting hard to get along with

Kirb