PDA

View Full Version : Is it too big a jump between .460 to .452

peter nap
09-01-2009, 08:00 PM
I was reading about using 350 grain cast in the 45 Colt. I didn't have any off the wall things on this weeks agenda, so I thought I would size some of my Ranch Dog 350 grainers for my 45/70, down to .452.

I don't have any in between dies though and haven't tried it yet. How hard will it be to force that thing through?

Marlin Hunter
09-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I did it with some Lee Truncated Cone 45 bullets that were out-of-round from the mold not closing all the way. (I didn't feel like remelting them) You need a heavy press and some good lube. Try putting case lube on the inside of the die with a q-tip each time. The bad part is it almost takes all the tumble lube groves off the bullet.

RayinNH
09-01-2009, 08:17 PM
If your trying to shove them through a Lee sizer they'll go as long as they're lubed, and air cooled from the mould. If you water drop from the mould that may be difficult to size that much. I've done this as well, but it almost leaves a skirt as the lead is extruded down. I wouldn't try this with a Lyman, RCBS or other sizer though...Ray

peter nap
09-01-2009, 08:27 PM
If your trying to shove them through a Lee sizer they'll go as long as they're lubed, and air cooled from the mould. If you water drop from the mould that may be difficult to size that much. I've done this as well, but it almost leaves a skirt as the lead is extruded down. I wouldn't try this with a Lyman, RCBS or other sizer though...Ray

Yep, a Lee die. I have an old Behemoth Herters press that should have plenty of power..but now that I think of it, I may just make a push through die to take it half way and use it on the arbor press.

I wonder if it would help preserve the grooves if I lubed first and hope it swages the grooves in?

beagle
09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Lube first. It seems to support the grooves somewhat. Usually about .003" at a pass is all you can do without distorting things a lot. That thing will really grow lengthwise too . The major downsizings I have done in the past have./beagle

ktw
09-01-2009, 10:38 PM
You may not have to size them that much. My 45 Colt carbine will take a bullet sized 457 in fire- formed brass. I have found they shoot better when loaded that way.

-ktw

yondering
09-02-2009, 01:16 AM
If water dropping, size them shortly after casting, before they harden. They will size pretty easily in one step, it's no big deal at all. Just do it. Lubing first might help keep the grooves from collapsing.

Jim
09-02-2009, 03:55 AM
If your push through sizer die is polished, with a touch of grease, you can push fairly large diameter bullets through. I have down sized .323 bullets to .309 just playing with it.

w30wcf
09-02-2009, 07:34 AM
You may not have to size them that much. My 45 Colt carbine will take a bullet sized 457 in fire- formed brass. I have found they shoot better when loaded that way.
-ktw

Mine will also.:)

w30wcf