PDA

View Full Version : 6 Point with 330 grain HP

6pt-sika
04-09-2006, 06:26 PM
In 2001 I bought my first Marlin in Cowboy configuration, an 1895CB in 45-70. I shot it some that year with Winchester factory loads .
In the summer of 2002 I got a couple Lee molds and a Lyman #457122 HP. After working with it a bit I decided on using the Lyman HP bullet and 31.5 grains of SR4759 .
I had this gun set up with a Lyman tang sight . Earlier that year I had taken my first cast bullet deer with a 38-55 . So I decided to give the 45-70 a try.
Went out early one morning (06:00) , hung a scent rag and climbed about 20 feet up a tree .
When it got light I could see the 6 or 7 rub trees that I knew were there. About 45 minutes later I saw a deer jump the fence and come towards me . I saw him come over the fence which was about 150 yards away then I could not see him until he got within 60 yards of me.
He was coming straight towards me , when he got about 22 yards away he turned broadside and put his nose on the scent rag. Needless to say he was fired upon .
At the shot he dropped , before I got down I finally got a good look at him rack wise . He was a heavy beamed 6 point with what looked like a big body. I climbed down the tree and stepped off the distance , 21 yards [smilie=1:
I looked at the entry hole then rolled him over to see the exit hole, there were two both were about the size of a silver doller . I do not know if the bullet seperated or the bullet went out one hole and bone exited the other.
Well I walked back to the house for the 3 wheeler to bring him out and drove back . I should say he had a big body , I couldn't lift him up on the rack :-?
So I straped his head to the rear rack and drug him out. Wish I could have weighed him :neutral:
I took his rack and made a skull cap bleached mount for the wall. He's no awesome deer , but he was memorable to me :drinks:

6pt-sika
04-26-2006, 08:39 AM
This was my second cast bullet deer.

Larry Gibson
04-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Nice hunt, I too have found over the years that is is the memories not the size of the trophy the really mean something to me.

Larry Gibson

Nrut
04-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi 6pt....congratulations on your cast boolit deer hunting success! I have that same Lyman mold and would like to try that boolit in my Ruger #3...what alloy are you using and what casting temp. do you use when casting this boolit?...thanks :)

6pt-sika
04-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi 6pt....congratulations on your cast boolit deer hunting success! I have that same Lyman mold and would like to try that boolit in my Ruger #3...what alloy are you using and what casting temp. do you use when casting this boolit?...thanks :)

I use straight wheel weights . And my Lee pot is at about 800 degrees.

Dale53
04-26-2006, 08:26 PM
That is my bullet of choice for the 45/70 Ruger#3 that I am working with. I have a batch of the bullets cast up. A few days ago, a good friend offered to loan me a 4 cavity Lyman Mould for the 457122 but in Solid Point. I'll cast up a bunch of them in 25/1 lead/tin and a bunch in a harder alloy before I return the mould. That should give me LOTS of practice bullets. Practice with the solids and hunt with the slower, harder to cast, hollow points. Seems like a plan...

Dale53