View Full Version : convert GC to non-GC cavity on AL mold?

08-31-2009, 02:17 PM
I have a lee C309-113F mold for my M1 Carbine.

I was thinking of converting one of the cavities to plain-base; trimming the part of the mold that forms the GC stump.

As it's aluminum - any recommendations on what to use? Would a dremel be sufficient?

08-31-2009, 02:36 PM
chucking reamer

08-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah, a Dremel tool would do it but unless your far steadier than me I wouldn't do that to any of my moulds. I know going in what kind of a hack job I'd end up with.

I have done this with several of my moulds and it can be well worth while but I had it done correctly. Itís not all that expensive to have Erik to it right. Base band removal, driving band enlarging, hollow pointing and much more. Also he has a really good turn around time.

Hollow Point Mold (http://www.hollowpointmold.com/)

Old Ironsights
08-31-2009, 07:07 PM
I sent mine to Buckshot. Dremel tools are for teeth.

08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
+1 for redneckdan

A reamer beats anything else for this. It can be turned by hand with a tap driver if necessary, but even a hand drill or a little drill press will give a good job.

No slight intended to any of the fine machinists that provide this and other services here, but this can be done at home with the right tool.

09-01-2009, 02:58 AM

.............Like this?:-) However a chucking reamer would also work with a carefull hand.

09-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Your mold is in " Good Hands " with Buckshot ! !

He has removed the g/c shank on several of my molds. Top notch work ! !