PDA

View Full Version : 2400 and 30-06

bary
08-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I tried Harris' Universal load (16/2400) under a Lee 309-170-FN this afternoon. Grouping with this load made me happy, point of impact did not. At 200 yards, I was hitting over a foot above point of aim, with my rear sight bottomed out (Williams WGRS receiver st. on a pre-64 M70 Fwt).

In light of the above information I must ask: What is the tiniest charge of 2400 anyone here has used in the '06? I don't wish to change sights on the rifle. I do wish to stick with 2400 as I have a goodly amount of it. Would 13-14 gr. a. be safe and b. lower the point of impact enough?

Thanks
Bary

Ben
08-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Where does this rifle shoot with standard jacketed hunting rounds with the SAME sight setting at the same distance.

Your problem should be reversed at that distance. Your cast loads should be striking lower than your jacketed factory rounds.

Ben

bary
08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Oh, yeah, they are! The WGRS sight shoots several FEET high with Greek HXP surplus ball (the only j-bullets I tried with this sight). Greek ammo shoots to point of aim with the factory rear sight, however. I think the problem is this: Williams designed the sight for standard grade winchester M-70s (they advertise it for both pre- and post-64 rifles made after WW2), and the line of sight from receiver to front sight is higher on the featherweight. If you remember, standard M-70s came with their sights on a little bump in the middle of the barrel, the featherweight does not.
I wish to retain the both the sight and the use of 2400, that's why I asked about the reduced charge. However, I also have a can of Unique. Would a light charge of that powder perhaps give a lower point of impact?

Ben
08-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Sounds like you're going to have problems with zeroing your rifle with that particular rec. sight unless you put a front sight on that is higher. This higher front sight will allow you to use this rec. sight.

If you want to keep the rifle using the standard rear sight and front sight, you may have to abandon that particular rec. sight.

You may find that you can't have your cake and eat it too.............Decisions, Decisions.............

Ben

SierraWhiskeyMC
08-30-2009, 11:25 PM
If mil-spec ammo is shooting several FEET high at 200 yards with the sight bottomed out, you really do need to get that front sight raised as Ben said. Otherwise, you'll have to load so lightly that your trajectory will look like a banana.

If you tried to hunt with the rifle the way it is now with really light loads, you'd be shooting a foot or two over the top of game that was 50' to 150' away from you, and your boolit would have about the energy of a .357 Magnum.

Even if you don't intend to hunt with the rifle, you wouldn't be able to use it at 100 yards unless you aimed a good bit low. Your boolits will be moving so slowly that crosswinds will have a much greater effect than at standard velocities.

I don't know what you plan on using the rifle for. It would likely make a very good medium-sized game hunting rifle if the sights were corrected.

shotman
08-31-2009, 02:48 AM
you need to get rid of the receiver sight. The 2400 load you have now is a light load. 19gr is what I use and its low at 100yds

jh45gun
08-31-2009, 03:57 AM
you need to get rid of the receiver sight. The 2400 load you have now is a light load. 19gr is what I use and its low at 100yds

No I think the other guys are right he needs a higher front sight. You just cannot put on a peep sight and hope it works unless the front sight matches it. Which is why some peep sights come with both front sight and the peep sight.