PDA

View Full Version : First time caster results for RCBS-35-200FN

SilverBow
08-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone,

Despite having started purchasing casting supplies over a year ago, it was not until yesterday that I finally had my first casting session, and I was pretty happy about it. I smelted about 20lbs of WW a few months ago in a stainless sauce pan over a Coleman single burner stove and made some muffin tin ingots. For my casting, I used the same Coleman burner and a capped pipe that I had. The pipe has an an inner diameter of 4.75" and I cut it to 6", so it holds about 10lbs of lead. I started off with 3 muffin tin ingots, which stack nicely in the pipe, for a total of 6lbs. The ingots took about 20 min. to melt. Here's a picture of my setup:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/casting/setup.jpg

The plywood boards behind the burner were an impromptu wind break. I'm going to make a less flamable workspace for my next casting session. Once the ingots were melted, I added 6" of 95/5 solder and fluxed by stirring with a stick. The ingots were pretty clean, so there was very little dross to remove. Although I had a thermometer, the setup didn't allow me to keep the thermo. in the pot at the same time as I was casting, so only checked temperature at the start of each pot. I initially brought the melt up to 600F. When I placed my RCBS ladel into the melt, the lead solidified like thick chocolate in the ladel, so I had to leave the ladel in for another minute to bring it up to temperature. In other words, I don't think my lead was overly hot.

For the mould, I used a new RCBS 35-200-FN in Lee handles. I prepped the mould by simmering it for 15 min. in hot water with a couple of drops of dish soap, followed by a 10 minute simmer in clean water. I poured a couple of bullets to warm the mould and then prepped alignment pins, the mould top, and the sprue plate with Bullplate Lube using the Q-tip method (not much at all, just a dab on the Q-tip for the entire mould followed by a wipedown with the clean end of the Q-tip).

I was quite shaky at first as I figured out how the lead would pour. Initially, as the mould heated up, the sprue was freezing almost immediately and I would often get incomplete pours. But after a few rounds, I was starting to figure things out. I was surprised at how fast you have to move to keep the mould temperature up. For my first few drops, I collected the sprues and put them back in the pot, but then I realized that that was taking too long and instead just kept pouring and dumping.

One challenge I had was being lefthanded. I drilled and tapped the ladel so that I could move the handle to the other side. However, whenever I held the mould in my right hand and titled it towards the ladel, the sprue plate would shift under gravity and would either completely drop or be misaligned. I soon realized that I had to hold the mould flat and pour/swirl the lead through the sprue. I was hoping to try holding the ladel directly against the sprue to build up some pressure, like in this picture, but it was impossible with my setup:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/casting/sprue.jpg

Next time I cast, I'm going to flip the mould in the handles and see if that helps. All-in-all, I spent about 3 hrs. setting up and casting. I went through 3 cycles of the pot (15-18lbs), and realized that it doesn't take long to empty a pot of 6 lbs of lead! My cull rate was very high. I ended up keeping a total of 55 bullets, which I figure is < 10% keep rate. But I definitely felt that my yields were improving with each pot. I also found that with the last pot, I was casting much quicker, and that was resulting in a hotter mould and slightly more frosted bullets.

Here are some pictures of 5 randomly chosen "keepers". The bullets mic'd at .359+, which should be good for my Marlin 35 Rems and 357 Mag. My plan is to slug my barrels to make sure that .359 is sufficient to fill them up, and if so, use a .360 Lee sizer to seat the GC. Finally, I plan to tumble lube and then dip with Lee Liquid Alox. I'll post some before and afters, along with weight, when I get that far.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/casting/front.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/casting/bottom.jpg

I found that the best way to cull quickly was to check the bases of the bullets. I was a bit alarmed by the number of bullets that had every-so-slightly curved base edges. The keepers all had sharply-defined bottoms. Here's are two pictures showing one of the culled bullets on the left and a keeper on the right. Was I right to discard any bullets with a slightly curved bottom? Does it matter? And what can I do to try to keep the bases sharp? I'm hoping that holding the ladel spout against the sprue will help in the next casting session.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/casting/bevel1.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/casting/bevel2.jpg

So, anyways, that's the story of my first casting session. I can see why everyone here enjoys casting so much. It's very rewarding to converting junk lead into something usable. I'm hoping that I'll luck out and quickly stumble on an accurate load for this bullet; one that I can use for deer hunting this fall. The other moulds that I have to try over the next few casting sessions are a Lyman 358627 (215gr GC Keith), Ranch Dog 35-180, the NOE 360180WFN Group Buy, and a Lee TL358SWC.

I'd appreciate any and all comments about the bullets and my process. Seeing as I have no prior experience with cast lead bullets, there may very well be some flaws in my keepers that I'm not seeing. In fact, just looking at the closeup pictures of the "keepers", I can see that the middle one looks pretty soft around the edges.

Happy casting,
Stirling

cbrick
08-30-2009, 06:11 PM
SilverBow,

Outstanding for a newbie. You figured out many of the stumbling blocks on your first go round.

I would suggest a bit more heat in the pot, you mentioned 600 degrees and things will get up to temp and work faster and more smoothly at around 700 degrees. Your keepers in the middle of the photo are slightly rounded on the front driving band (sharp corners) and more heat may help with this. Also, using more than 6 pounds of alloy at a time will help maintain the pot temp.

Your culled bullets with the rounded bottoms are the same as I cull bullets. Opening the sprue plate is my first inspection of the boolits, it is either a perfect base or it's no better than a sprue. A stronger flow of alloy and continue to pour until there is a large sprue puddle will minimize this. A sharp edge on one side and rounded on the other is an unbalanced boolit. Bear in mind that the base steers the boolit and short ranges and low velocity and less than perfect bases will have less effect on accuracy. With longer ranges the effect of this will get worse.

It's a great start, your hooked now and there is no cure. :drinks:

Rick

Vly
08-30-2009, 07:16 PM
For a first casting session, you did very well. My rejection criterion is very similiar to yours. Perfect bases are important.

I think marginal heat is the reason your reject rate is so high. That little Coleman burner may not be up to the task. It is obvious you have been doing your homework, as your knowledge level is very good for a newbie. This site really gives the new guy all he needs to know to get started.

I would start looking for a Lee electric pot. Something with a thermostat is really going to help you with the heat issue.

When you start loading some for your .35 Rem, try IMR-3031 first. It does so well with cast in the 35 you might not move on to something else. Nice job!

geargnasher
08-30-2009, 07:27 PM
SilverBow,
I'm gonna get railed for this, but here's my 2 cents for beginning casting where you have to tear-down and put away your setup each time you use it:

Invest 50 bucks in a 10 lb bottom-pour Lee pot and don't look back. You can always ladle-dip from it if you want to, but now after giving it a shot you can imagine how convenient it would be to just throw in your alloy, set the thermostat (here is where your thermometer will be super-handy, determine exactly what 'stat setting = what temperature) and cast away! No worries about keeping the ladle/alloy hot enough.

If you press the sprueplate to the pot spout (like you show with your ladle in the pic) you can pressurize the alloy and this helps fillout greatly. I think that's what most successful ladle casters do, although I have a good friend who streams it into his mould with his ladle over an inch above! (he's nuts, but his boolits are impeccable).

Gear
BTW, I look for a slight frost on my boolits to determine mould temp, if they are still shiney with an antimonial alloy, the mould was too cold and the edges will be rounded.

Echo
08-30-2009, 08:01 PM
dang good looking boolits. I use the same procedure and criteria. Knock the sprue, observe the bases, note any that aren't perfect, drop the boolits, return the sprue and rejects to the pot, and press on. I would have culled that boolit, too.
>
And +1 on getting a Lee pot. SO MUCH MORE CONVENIENT! And keep the pot as full as you can to stabilize the temperature.

HeavyMetal
08-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Welcome to the insanity.

Looking good for a first run! I can help with a tip to keep the base's sharp and flat: Not Only do you need to dip a corner of the mold in the alloy to help heat it but dip the sprue plate as well!

The area where the plate is supposed to be struck with a wooden mallet! Once the plate is up to temp you will only have to "touch up" once every 5 or 6 casts to keep base's very sharp.

I WOULDN't worry about getting the alloy to hot, rather worry about keeping it to cold!

As a lefty myself I recognize the need for some tools to be "hand specific" and think your ladle modification pretty neat. Toyed with the idea myslf but am so used to ladle casting right handed it hasn't been worth the effort for me.

Another tip I can give you: shiney and frosty are not as important as good fill out and consistant boolit weight! I will trade good filled out sharp edged boolits for half baked shiny ones any day of the week.

Frosted means nothing, shiney means nothing filled out and sharp corners are everything!

Anything else is a cosmetic bonus! Good when you get, it not worth the time chasing it!

Matt_G
08-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Very impressive for your first time out of the gate Stirling!
I too think you should spend a little money and get an electric pot.
The Lee 10 lb. has been mentioned and there isn't anything wrong with that.
However, since you seem to like the ladle, I would suggest a Lyman 10 lb. Mini-Mag.
MidSouth has them for $52.50.
That's the same price as the Lee and you won't have to fix the dripping!!
You can check it out here (http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000152800200).

Even if you decided in the future that 10lbs. wasn't enough capacity, you could just buy a second Mini-Mag.
Fire 'em both up run the first one down and put in ingots.
While that one is coming back up to temp, cast out of the second pot.
The only downside is 2 Mini-Mags use more juice than one 20 lb. furnace.
(not sure what the wattage on each type is...)

NOTE
Well, after looking at this page (http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/faqs/bullet-casting.php), I see that the Mini-Mag does not have an adjustable thermostat!
Get the Lee.
The dripping can be fixed.

runfiverun
08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
the one on the left is what you are looking for.
and since you are gonna cover that slight round with a gas check i would have sorted them out and shot them too..
oh yeah,,,, get your lead about 100-150* hotter things will even out faster and the grey look is in when it comes to cast.

snaggdit
08-31-2009, 02:29 AM
Good first effort! I noticed that in your third pic (upright boolits) the boolit on the far left is the best with regards to sharp edges. Please notice that it is also slightly frosted while the rest are shiny. Hotter temps will get you where you want to be. I use a Lee 20 and like it. Yes it drips sometimes but I keep a screwdriver handy and a turn of the pin when it starts to drip fixes it right quick. Keep at it and welcome to the addiction!

qajaq59
08-31-2009, 06:47 AM
You'll get there, but I've tried it both ways and a reasonably cheap Lee 20# bottom pour pot would definitely make life easier.

Bret4207
08-31-2009, 08:28 AM
You'll have no problems with that ladle. I've been ladle casting over 30 years and I'm still in no rush to join the BP ranks. I cast with a setyup like yours for years and it still works fine.

Good job, great pics.

BTW- for plinkers those with the slightly rounded base work fine once the gas check is applied. A charging tin can will never know the difference at 50 yards.

SilverBow
08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and critiques, please keep them coming. After seeing how much easier it is to spot the difference between a well-defined bullet (the frosty left one) and a soft-edge bullet (the middle ones) with the macro photos, I'm going to dig out my magnifying glass and add that to my culling repertoire.

I'm going to take the advice here and see if I can raise the temperature of my melt. The frosted bullet probably came from the last cycle of casting that I did; the last few pours took noticeably longer for the sprue to set so I think that I'm going to use that as a guide for the heat of the mould.

What's killing me is that I had a Lee 10# bottom pour last year, but sold it in a fit of "down sizing". I just got kind of overwhelmed with all the gun/reloading supplies that I'd purchased (only started shooting 2 years ago), and I'm a minimalist at heart. The idea of a ladle and pot just appeals to me... I'm not a high volume shooter. But it does seem like the Coleman stove and my pipe have their limitations. At one point I ran out of fuel and had to restart the melt and the lead level in the pipe dropped pretty quickly which did make me wonder how much the temp. was rising from the start of the session to the end. It wouldn't have been so bad if I could have monitored the temp. with my thermometer, but there just wasn't any room in the pot to keep it in during the casting.

Would a hotplate be a good head source or is it really recommended to go with a dedicated electric casting furnace? I seem to recall Lee makes a 20lb dipper that's probably reasonably priced. However, I also appreciate using high quality tools (i.e., buy once, cry once), if they're use is really warranted, so I've also read about the Waage K4757 as a good choice.

Thanks again,
Stirling

selmerfan
08-31-2009, 03:32 PM
SilverBow,
You're first bullets are looking a heck of a lot better than my first bullets did a couple years ago! I use the Lyman Mini-Mag, top end it runs right around 700 degrees, perfect for my casting needs. I spent a lot of time farting around trying to match up the dipper nipple to the sprue hole and tilt them together as well. I have since wised up and with a well pre-heated mold (more comment in a second) I just set the bottom of the dipper on the sprue plate, pour the lead in the hole, and they fill out great. Pre-heating - I will NEVER cast without a hot plate! I tried it for a few months, then tried a hot plate. Night and day difference. Plug the lead furnace in, turn the hot plate on, set my two molds on the hot plate. Come back 30 minute later, lead is hot, molds are hot, no bullet rejects while trying to heat up the mold. If you ever want to try out the Lyman 358627 or Ranch Dog's 35-190-RF give me a PM. I'll get a few out for your testing purposes, unless you already have the molds, I couldn't tell by your post.
Selmerfan

SilverBow
08-31-2009, 03:42 PM
If you ever want to try out the Lyman 358627 or Ranch Dog's 35-190-RF give me a PM. I'll get a few out for your testing purposes, unless you already have the molds, I couldn't tell by your post.
Selmerfan

Thanks for the generous offer Selmerfan. I actually already have all the moulds I mentioned on hand... I was lucky and bought a NIB 358627 locally (in Canada) for $50.

Stirling

ScottJ
08-31-2009, 06:00 PM
I can help with a tip to keep the base's sharp and flat: Not Only do you need to dip a corner of the mold in the alloy to help heat it but dip the sprue plate as well!

The area where the plate is supposed to be struck with a wooden mallet! Once the plate is up to temp you will only have to "touch up" once every 5 or 6 casts to keep base's very sharp.

I'll echo this. I'm a new caster myself and did my 2nd session this past Saturday night.

The dipping the sprue plate trick really helped me get sharp corners on the boolit bases and full fill to get the .430 I'm needing out of my Lee mold.

Bret4207
09-01-2009, 08:44 AM
I've been casting since the mid '70's. My first set up was a kitchen stove, a Lyman pot and a spoon for a dipper. I made beautiful boolits. Currently I use an 1100 watt Walmart open coil hot plate and a stainless measuring cup about 5" wide and 6" high. It holds over 20 lbs. I have about $20.00 in that set up. I have used Lee BP pots in the past and do not like them at all. I've only recently come into a possession of a SAECO BP and find it to be of infinitely better quality than the Lee. I'm no Lee basher, but IMO the pots are low ball quality-wise. Their dipper pot should be fine. There's no reason to abandon the ladle though. IME it's far more versatile than the BP and I can actually feel and see what I'm doing. Many others here feel a BP is the only way to go and they may well be right, but there's still no reason to make any assumptions that ONLY a BP is suitable for casting.

If you go with a hot plate make sure you get the type with the open/exposed coil as opposed to the covered type with the smooth burner. The open coil seems to work far better.

qajaq59
09-01-2009, 09:14 AM
If you go with a hot plate make sure you get the type with the open/exposed coil as opposed to the covered type with the smooth burner. The open coil seems to work far better. I'll second that motion!!!!!

SilverBow
09-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Last night I further culled the keepers that I had previously sorted. This time I used a 10x loupe to check the sharpness of the edges on the driving band, crimp groove, and grease groove. Like I had shown in picture 3 above, I found several bullets that had soft edges; however, there weren't as many as I thought there would be and I ended up tossing 19 more of the bullets.

Since this was my first time casting, I was curious about the bullets' weight distribution, so I created the following histogram in .3 gr divisions:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/casting/IMG_6750.jpg

The sample size is too small to indicate much, but it does give me an idea of my extreme spread, although I don't know at this point what a "good" spread would be.

Here are some more overall pictures of the bullets that made it through my final cull.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/casting/IMG_6754.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/jsmithsmithj/casting/IMG_6755.jpg

Tonight I'm going to lube them with LLA and seat a GC, but I think I'll shoot them as-cast without any sizing. Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll get them loaded and ready for the range. I'm going to be putting these bullets into 35 Rem cartridges and will probably try a couple of loads of IMR3031 and H4895. If I get lucky, the results will be promising.

Did I say this casting thing is addictive? I'm really looking forward to another session with the RCBS 35-200-FN and my RD TLC359-190-RF is all ready to go as well, so I'll probably break that one in.

Thanks again for all the great advice!
Stirling

Bret4207
09-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Again, great job, great photos. A 10x loupe? You can drive yourself nuts trying to cull all but the perfect ones, and then you'll shoot a group with the "imperfect culls" that beats your "perfect" boolits by 1/2"! It never fails.

SilverBow
09-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Again, great job, great photos. A 10x loupe? You can drive yourself nuts trying to cull all but the perfect ones, and then you'll shoot a group with the "imperfect culls" that beats your "perfect" boolits by 1/2"! It never fails.

Haha, I'm sure it never fails! I honestly wasn't scrutinizing the bullets too much, and the 10x loupe was only used because I couldn't find my magnifying glass. Once I get more experience and (hopefully!) improve my yields, I don't plan to inspect my bullets as intensely... I'm hoping with practice that I'll come to recognize when things are running smoothly and will know that my bullets should be pretty good.

Culling by sharp bases as I dropped the bullets was easy and I'll continue to do that.

Wayne Smith
09-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't know where you are but older 2-burner Coleman stove tend to be readily available at yard sales. They are easily converted to propane, or they came in propane originally, too. I've been using one of these over 10 years and an old 1qt stainless kitchen pot for the same amount of time. This rig has plenty of heat available, I've gotten 20lbs of lead over 900 degrees by accident once. Lack of btus is not an issue with propane.

cbrick
09-01-2009, 08:23 PM
SilverBow,

Addictive? Just wait until you start scrounging gun shows for moulds you don't really need and when you have no guns to shoot those bullets you start buying guns you don't really need just to shoot them, then more moulds and on and on.

Minor variations in weight will make little difference except perhaps in bench rest matches. Most of my casting is for long range handgun accuracy and I can get a little anal about my inspections. Since you’re interested in the extreme spread of weight variance you could try this tip. Most of my light bullets (weigh less than average of a casting session) come from the very first bullets cast. Even though I pre-heat the mould it isn't yet up to proper casting temp, the first 10 pours go in the sprue pile regardless of what they look like, most if not all of these bullets will be light. Then keep a steady consistent casting rhythm to keep an even temp of the mould, weight variation won’t be eliminated but it will be reduced. I haven't weighed all of the bullets in a casting session in a very long time, just a few random ones and don't keep the first 10 pours. All of this will be of little benefit for short ranges and low velocity.

Rick