PDA

View Full Version : Success at the range with .358 Saeco boolits

O.S.O.K.
08-30-2009, 03:51 PM
I just got back from the range - it was actually almost bearable today - only 90 degrees :)

I took my Marlin 336 chambered in 356 Winchester and scoped with a nice Leupold 1.5-5x.

I had two cast boolit loads to try - both with the Saeco .358 gc boolit, cast from ww, air cooled, sized to .358" in a Lee sizer die kit and lubed with LLA. The loads were two diff charges of W748 - 39 and 40 grains. The Marlin liked the 40 grain load a bit better than the 39 grain load. There was no leading whatsoever - bore was pretty clean actually.

Here's the better of two three-shot groups with the 40 grians:

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/medium/356_Win_target_08-30-09.jpg

As you can see, 1 7/8" group. The other one was 2 1/8" - so they were hovering around 2" which I think is just fantastic for this rifle.

I was shooting from a rest.

Here's a pic of the Marlin:

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/HPIM1776.JPG

Regan Nonneman did the rechamber and conversion for me a couple years ago and I've been really pleased with it.

I'm very happy with the results from this range trip and have determined that I'm going to do some deer whacking (if lucky) with this levergun and this cast load this fall and winter. While I've taken plenty of deer with leverguns (my very first one) and bolt guns, I've never taken one with a cast boolit. Have to remedy that...

I had thought of using my old 94 Swede sporter for the purpose - but the loads for it were most unsatisfactory... I posted that info up on the cb loads for military rifles forum.

PatMarlin
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
My favorite scope (got 4) on definitely one of my favorite rilfes, and my favorite 358 boolit ...!

Outstanding ...:drinks:

mike in co
08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
two suggestions:
1) shoot at a smaller target( aim small, miss small) it could be the cause of the stringing.

2) try more powder. stringing is SOMETIMES an indicator of the need for more velocity.

mike in co

O.S.O.K.
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I was wondering about the vertical stringing too... I thought maybe it was the rounds decreasing in the mag - I can check that easy enough!

Echo
09-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Hmmm. I don't believe 40 grains of 748 is close to a full case, but I may be wrong. If indeed there is a lot of space over the powder, there may be an ignition problem causing the vertical stringing. Maybe not.

26Charlie
09-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Using the SAECO #352 250 gr. GC, which I assume is the same bullet, with 36.0 gr. of AA2460 in the .358 Win. gave me a five-shot 1 1/2" group off the bench at 100 yd. from my Savage M99 carbine. This was the best group - but I fooled around with sights and things. The guy I bought it from seemed to think that he should run it with the stock bolt loose, the magazine spool cranked three notches tighter, and ghost-ring sights. I found this out after the fact through discussion with him.
I found these ideas faulty one-by-one, and ended with a weaver 1.5-4.5 variable scope on it. When a Savage won't shoot, the first thing is checking the stock bolt and tightening it. Then the magazine refused to work like my other Savages - that is, accepting six rounds so that the sixth lies in position to chamber when the lever is closed, leaving 5 in the magazine. Then, the ghost-ring sights couldn't get enough elevation to bring the CB's to center at 100 yds. Tried a 4X but happened upon a used Weaver with post reticule that I liked - so that what it has on it now.
Just giving you this load for reference, since the .356 and .358 are the same capacity near as dammit. I don't know the velocity.

O.S.O.K.
09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
40 grains of W748 isn't 100 % case fill - probably around 90% at least though. I guess I need to drag the chrony out to the range and check the velocities.

Its definately not at full pressure, so I could up the anty a bit - I just don't want to ruin the accuracy - 1900-2100 velocity range is fine and dandy - don't care where it falls in that range so long as I get decent groups.

S.R.Custom
09-02-2009, 09:14 PM
If you're not putting the exact same hold pressure on the gun into your shoulder, or not returning the gun to the exact same spot on the rest from shot to shot, you'll get the vertical stringing you see here, too. This is particularly true of lever guns since the barrel of a lever gun is not floating, and subject to the harmonic disturbances you impart to it through the forend and magazine tube.

But yeah, I'd break out the chonograph to make sure it's not a velocity issue. If it's not, I'd start working on my hold and possibly even bed the forend.

O.S.O.K.
09-03-2009, 04:15 PM
I do suspect my range techniqe that day. I know for a fact that my hold was a little different...

Perhaps I just need to load some up with 40 grains and go back and shoot multiple groups and chrono to see what's going on...

Thing is, I've only got 46 boolts left... so either I cast some more or be happy with this load for now - having the rifle zero'd - certainly good enough for deer hunting.

O.S.O.K.
09-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Well, I was just over on leverguns.com this morning and saw a post about verticle stringing. I read down the thread and "bing" it struck me that I must have a constriction or pressure point on the barrel of my gun.

So after reading this post, I decided to go out and look at my rifle - sure enough, the mag tube was pressed firmly against the bottom of the barrel for the last inch - muzzle end. I couldn't even pull it up enough to get it to separate - it was smashed down hard - that can't be good for accuracy! No wonder it was stringing!

So, I took it apart and used my trusty WECSOG* dremel tool to relieve the inside of the front barrel band - top and bottom. I also filed a slight flat on the bottom of the mag tube (where it meets the barrel). Then, I cold blued all of the work spots, oiled everything up and reasembled, applying some thread lock to the screws and making sure nothing was binding. As it turns out, the screw that secures the middle band was bent slightly and would torque against to the tube as well - if in the "wrong" position, so I made sure it was locked in a non-contact postion. There's now a gap between the mag tube end and the barrel - as there should be, and the barrel and tube are stress-free :)

I'm looking forward to another range session to see how it does now!

* Wile E Coyote School Of Gusmithing

Blammer
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
2" group at 100 yds? it's good enough for deer!

Can you do better? probably , is it needed for deer? IMO , no, but it sure is fun to tinker with.

Good shooting!

O.S.O.K.
09-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks. I just figure that if its just a matter of fixing that pressure point and the group will tighten up and the stringing go away - why not? It took a whole 30 minutes over my lunch break. :)