PDA

View Full Version : "Constant Pressure" Ramrod

jim4065
08-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I've read about these things in Fadala's books - but never talked with (much less seen) anyone who used one. Anyone here have experience with 'em? Seems like they could only get repeatable results on the first one or two shots after cleaning - after fouling builds up I would think that it's anybody's guess as to how much pressure was put against the load versus the fouled bore. Experience is really what could answer this - Are they worth buying?

waksupi
08-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Jim O'Meara worked with Sam many years ago on that experimentation. I seem to recall that Jim said they were using a bathroom scale to achieve the same amount of pressure each time.
Sounds inconvenient to carry around in your shooting bag, but it could be done, I guess!

Maven
08-30-2009, 07:08 PM
jim, +1 about what Waksupi said. Also, I participated in a NMLRA Territorial BP shoot in Saratoga, N.Y. in July and didn't see one of those rods (or even a bathroom scale!). In fact, none of the competitive shooters I know uses one either. Hmmm, must be a message in this somewhere. However, consistency is a good idea, but I don't think that contraption is the only or even the best means of achieving it.

pietro
08-31-2009, 05:47 AM
JMO, but, no, I don't think a "gadget" like that is worth buying.

I find that consistant pressure, loading-to-loading/shot-to-shot, however, is VERY important - but that's not the same as "constant" (continual) pressure.

Consistancy in ramrod pressure is obtained just like consistancy in any other activity - via thought and a lot of practice.

Baron von Trollwhack
08-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Over the years there have been three or four "inventions" , "contraptions", mostly centered on the ramrod, etc., aimed at making the load column consistent as an aid to accuracy. But, IMO, it is lube and loading technique that insures consistency, just as in BPCR loading.

My own practice is to damp patch/dry patch after each shot when shooting at target for pleasure, carefully measure powder, whether horn, dipped or measured, and seat to the same "feel". Hunting just is not as critical, because of field conditions. In some guns you MUST know where that first shot will go. BvT

Potsy
08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
I was looking through that same book by Sam Fadala a while back.
I'm thinking the name of that rod was Kadooty.
I ran a search and their out there but I never could pin it down.
You might have better luck than I did.

jim4065
08-31-2009, 09:18 AM
I was looking through that same book by Sam Fadala a while back.
I'm thinking the name of that rod was Kadooty.
I ran a search and their out there but I never could pin it down.
You might have better luck than I did.

You're right - thanks for reminding me of the name. I found a "review" of it here: http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol4no3/articles/mbo43-7.shtml

And this:
Kadooty Manufacturing Llc
842 S Tamela Dr
Lake Charles, LA 70605
Phone: (337) 477-7502

Also found a listing on another forum where someone has 3 new ones for sale for about $200 total plus freight. I've got a call in to the guy - might be fun to get one. http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=43717&highlight=kadooty

jim4065
08-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Carefully reading the review leaves me unimpressed. $130 list for an elaborate "rod knocker" seems a bit much. The thing is made out of brass, but that doesn't excuse the price. Most gizmos sell pretty well - at least initially - but the fact that they stopped production kinda answers my initial question................

northmn
08-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Sam Fadala had quite a few interesting ideas that many shooters questioned. He wrote a book but I do not believe he ever was in the winners circle at places like Friendship. Most top shooters seem to be able to seat the ball with reasonable consistancy by feel. Shooting today costs enough without buying a $130 ramrod. Any differences it would make would be pretty minimal as some of those shooting without one can blow the center out of a 100 yard target. X stick shooters had to go to a 6 bull so that all shots could be counted.

Northmn

Potsy
08-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Sam wrote a few books and lots of gun articles. Wrote for "Rifle" & "Handloader" amongst others. I've not seen anything written by him in 8 or 9 years.
I have learned enough to disagree with some of what he wrote in "The Complete Black Powder Handbook"; but it was enough info. to get a 16 year old kid started muzzleloading without blowing himself and his CVA to smithereens.
There's also a Hatfield .36 on the cover that kinda warped me for life and is part of the reason I'm trying to build a little "Lancasterish" .40 20 years after getting the book.
Though he never did convince me on the KaDooty rod.

jim4065
08-31-2009, 05:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/KaDOOTY-Ultimate-Muzzleloading-Tool_W0QQitemZ330355610470QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4ceaba9366&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The guy who had a couple of them called me back. Told me that he was selling them on ebay. They are apparently well made, anyway. :mrgreen:

waksupi
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Jim, as much as many of us board members relish the name "Enabler", due to our expertise in helping other board members spend money, I would jump ship in this instance, and say, save your money!

Baron von Trollwhack
09-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Recall the "elk" guru that got his head on a platter recently for not understanding the elementals of the second amendment, and the low repute of a great many gun mag whores whose principal job is slick salesmanship and collecting promo gear.

Don't you think that in muzzloading the flintlock, for example, since 1550 for sure, anything prooving it's value to the effort would be in common use? The golden age may have ended though with the cartridge/muzzleloading caplock matches of the late 1800's BvT

HWooldridge
09-02-2009, 09:02 PM
I use a home made steel range rod when shooting target but wiping between shots is the best practice I have for consistency in loading pressure. Since the Injuns aren't chasing me, I don't mind using two patches for every shot - so at the target range, I shoot a fouling shot, wipe once with a spit patch over a jag tip then load my first round for score with another spit patch. Every shot afterwards is done the same way. Makes for easy loading and consistent seating over long stretches of shooting.

waksupi
09-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I use a home made steel range rod when shooting target but wiping between shots is the best practice I have for consistency in loading pressure. Since the Injuns aren't chasing me, I don't mind using two patches for every shot - so at the target range, I shoot a fouling shot, wipe once with a spit patch over a jag tip then load my first round for score with another spit patch. Every shot afterwards is done the same way. Makes for easy loading and consistent seating over long stretches of shooting.

Use Moose Milk for lube, and you won't need to swab that much.