PDA

View Full Version : [B]1805 Harpers Ferry Rifle[/B]

Grapeshot
08-30-2009, 02:34 PM
I bought a 1805 Harpers Ferry a few years ago. Took it to the range and fired a couple dozen rounds out of it and was quite pleased with the accuracy and performance of the lock. I was using 80 grains ofGoex 2Fg for the main charge, 4Fg priming powder, and Remington .54 caliber Golden Balls and T/C Maxi's.:cbpour:

I haven't read to much about them so I don't know if I should expect some problems down the line. I'd like to get the 1807 Harpers Ferry flint pistol to go with this gun as well.

It's been a long time since I played with a flintlock and I am rusty. Some of the procedures came back to me as I was using this rifle, but I am going to have to go back and read the basics all over again to bring myself up to speed if I plan to use this gun t any primitive matches.[smilie=b:

madcaster
08-30-2009, 03:34 PM
On the road to recovery I see.FLINTLOCKS FOREVER!!![smilie=w:

northmn
08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
You can buy ball for less expense out of any of the good suppliers. Remington Golden balls are one of those things that seem to be a solution waiting for a problem. It isn't too old of a Harpers Ferry as they used to be 58's. 54 is proper. Flintlocks are fun but will not use any of the modern powders, only black due to their ignition system. 80 Grains of 2f with a patched RB is a good load. I believe the military load was something like 70 grains, but shoot what shoots best. The Pistol you mentioned is a Dragoon pistol meant to be carried in a saddle holster (like the Walker) Even so it is a nice pistol with authority, more than th famous Walker. enjoy and have fun.

Northmn

nelsonted1
09-02-2009, 10:15 AM
An antique story in Georgetown KY has one of these in great shape built in 1815. The rifling from the muzzle was close to perfect (I just looked at it through the glass). They want $14,000 for it. That made me light-headed.

TED

waksupi
09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
An antique story in Georgetown KY has one of these in great shape built in 1815. The rifling from the muzzle was close to perfect (I just looked at it through the glass). They want $14,000 for it. That made me light-headed.

TED

I would be cautious on buying it. There were a couple guys making some very, VERY good fakes some years ago.

KCSO
09-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I have had a couple of Harpers including one made by Doc Carlson for the Lewis and Clark dedication. I have shot them in 58 and 54 and have re locked a couple of the I ties with Doc's locks. The good news is that the barrels on most of these were good shooters but every one had problems with the lock. First of all the I tie locks are not properly hardened and the frizzens go soft in a couple hundred shots. I have had to face a couple of frizzens on these to put them back to sparking. My second complaint goes back to the whole breed of Harpers flinters, the locks were designed by a commission and as such they are the WORST designed locks I have had to work with. They must have been cheap to make for them to have lasted in service as long as they did.

They are nice to tote as they have a image of Lewis and Clark and the appeal of a Hawken. I wish you luck and if you need one down the line I still have 2 new frizzens.

northmn
09-03-2009, 09:58 AM
As I understand it you can buy good replacement locks for them. Some of the early Navy Arms Harpers locks were not he best. Lewis and Clark did not have the Harpers Ferry rifles as date don't match up. They now think they carried the 1790 contract rifle, whcih was a fullstock and predessor to the half stock Harpers Ferry. The Harpers Ferry is an interesting rifle but I do not know much about its historical uses.

Northmn

SmuvBoGa
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Grapeshot,

I have a Pedersoli Harper's Ferry flintlock pistol, .58 cal. with 07 grooves - a FINE weapon & shooter. Approx 15 yr ago I got it thru Dixie Gun Works. Quick firing. It is a repro but I can afford to shoot it.

KCSO
09-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Replacment lock kits are from Doc Carlson at the Upper Missouri Trading Co. in Crofton, NE. Telephone 388-4844. Do a good build on one of these and you will have the best Harpers lock you can get.

SmuvBoGa
09-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Visit www.trackofthewolf.com - they have some beautiful lock ! Craftsmanship is out standing. Fun to just look.