PDA

View Full Version : new to lead

phishroy
08-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Hello.
So I have decided to take the plunge and take my reloading to the next level.

Im trying to gear up for bullet casting.

Im in the process of scrounging up some WW, so far I have about 70LB which is not a bad start.
I picked up the lyman bullet casting manual.

Now im looking also in getting one of those lee bottom spout pots.
Now what Im not so sure about is:
I would like to get a thermometer for my pot, where do I get one of those?
I couldn’t find one at any of my local gun stores.
Im also not sure on which lubrisizer to get, lyman, RCBS or anything else.

Finally…which handle and mold brands are considered better.

Some people told me to stay away from aluminum molds, why?
If this helps I will be casting for 45-70 and 308 .. gas checks???

I know this is a bit of a loaded question but I apologise. I am a virgin to bullet casting.

thx997303
08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Well, as far as the luber/sizers go, I have no experience.

Though, I prefer nose first sizing, so I have lee sizers and I pan lube. Equipment is inexpensive this way, and I enjoy doing it.

Here is a very good explanation of the process.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34058

As far as a lead thermometer, Midway USA has them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=595204

Lee aluminum molds are finicky, inexpensive, and when used properly will make fine boolits.

That's all I have used. They work find. Don't let the lead cool too much though, it may damage the mold when you hit the sprue plate.

They also come with handles already attached. I would probably start with a lower cost set as you're new to it, and who knows if you will like it.

Hope this helps, Happy casting.

phishroy
08-31-2009, 07:59 AM
ok, so far i have one thermometer on its way.
how do i know which mold can accept a gas check for the 45-70?
is the lyman or the RCBS nose sizing first?

largom
08-31-2009, 08:30 AM
The RCBS 45-405 FN is a gas check boolit and shoots great in all 5 of my 45-70's. Lyman and RCBS sizers are not nose first sizers. Lee makes the cheapest nose first but then you must lube in a seperate step. I highly suggest that you obtain the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. That will guide you in the right direction, but your greatest source of info is right here on this forum.

Regarding sizing, You may not have to size your boolits if your rifle will chamber the loaded round and they shoot well. I do not size most of my 30 Cal. boolits, use my Lyman 450 to lube only. I size my 45-70's to .459 or .460 IF the mold casts over that diameter.

Welcome to the forum!
Larry

docone31
08-31-2009, 09:03 AM
A real important issue.
"Fine" the alloy seperate from the casting pot. A simple step, yet produces good results!
Especially with bottom pour pots.
When I am done with the casting session, I turn the spout to prevent dripping. Simple but effective. Don't worry about temp. I turn my pot all the way up and cast away.
I use exclusively Lee Molds. They like to run hot! Six seconds to "freeze" the sprue. My pot is constantly with Kitty Litter on top of the melt. I drop my rejects on the Kitty Litter, even damp, they eventually melt into the pot. Do not put wet rejects, or ingots in the melt itself.
With Lee Molds, soak them for a couple of days in Mineral Spirits. All you need to do. I do not smoke my molds any more. They drop right out.
Biggest thing, relax when casting!
I used to rush when casting and worked up a sweat for nothing. If the mold is too cool, put it in the melt for a few seconds, if it is too hot, slow down on the casting.
The top guide screw loosened up on my pot. It made casting hard. If the handle sticks, check that.
Other than that, have a ball. Wheel Weight alloy is great for pistols, and rifle loads. I water drop all my castings. I like the sound of cooling metal.
Enjoy the ride.

08-31-2009, 10:52 AM
phishroy,

You are in for quite a ride!

Handles: For RCBS and Lyman 2-cavity moulds, buy Lee 6-cavity handles. They fit Lyman right out of the box and with a few minutes of filing or grinding they will fit RCBS. They cost about $12, from MidwayUSA or Midsouth Shooter's Supply. Lee 2-cavity moulds come with handles.

Aluminum moulds: Lee makes aluminum moulds. Seems that casters have a love/hate relatioship with them. I love mine. Generally, they need some TLC to get them to cast properly -- read the "Leementing" threads.

I have a Lyman 4500 lube/sizer which works extremely well. Lyman puts together a "kit" that includes the press, a pot, ladle, their "Cast Bullet Handbook", etc. for about $150 from Midway or Midsouth.

Obtain as much lead as you can. You state that you live in Ontario, if it's the one in California, start hustling wheel weights as fast as you can, as they are being phased out as of the end of the year, though it will take years for them to cycle through the system. More and more zinc and steel weights are showing up in my collections.

This site is THE source for casting information, with members who are more than willing to impart their widsom. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

mooman76
08-31-2009, 08:00 PM
It seems like the people that have the most problem with Lee aluminum molds are the ones that start out with steel and get spoiled with them because they are easier or more forgiving to use. I started out with Lee because that's what I could afford and they work fine, just a little different to use.