PDA

View Full Version : Lead prices 2

XWrench3
08-30-2009, 07:56 AM
so, after reading, and replying to the original post about lead prices, i have another question. pretty much normal price for me so far buying wheel weights, is roughly $0.30 per pound after smelting (NOT including the cost of smelting). my local metal salvage yard (well, the closest, and by far the most conveinient anyway) wants to sell me pure (supposedly) soft lead for $1.00 a pound. which seems outragous to me (but i am pretty new to all of this), as i still have to melt it down and make ingots out of it. does this seem right to you guys? also, will pure lead (without adding tin) fill out the boolit mold better, :cbpour: or worse than wheel weights?

Hickory
08-30-2009, 08:10 AM
It the momet it is a sellers market for pure lead.
w-w is another story, but grab them up as quick as you can,
because they won't be around very long.

Pure lead can be scrached easely with your thumb nail.

I'm thinking that in the not to distant future $1 a pound pure lead will be cheap.

Right now I am buying tin for in the future. http://www.nfmetals.com/index.html

Pure lead does not fill out in a mold as well as lead with tin added.
Tin allows the lead to become more fluid and it will flow better and
produce a better bullet.

randyrat
08-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Last i looked at Kitco the price of certified pure lead was about .92/lb and climbing. Right now you can buy pure lead and ship it to your door for about $1/lb maybe a little less. But, who wants to part with it when the price keeps climbing. Soft lead is also good to have for cutting your WWs for crtain applications, providing you can buy at a decent price.