PDA

View Full Version : First post, first boolits, casting pot idea.

kevbo
08-30-2009, 12:10 AM
First of all, a big THANK YOU for all the excellent advice on this site, as well as the info on personal sites of the members (I'm looking at you Goat Lips0)

That said, I'm Kevbo, a guy who likes to tinker with guns and shoot. I did some reloading in my teens using my dad's gear. What with the price of ammo, I decided I better drag dad's old gear out of storage and get to loading again....Bullets were dear back in the 70's but good heavens how proud they are of them these days...when you can even find them!

Due mostly to the inspiration from lurking here 'bouts, I set my self up to cast some boolits.

Being a beginner, being scots, and being cheap (I guess that's redundant) I decided I'd start out dipping lead out of a pot on the camp stove. Rather than spend weeks begging weights from tire shops, I bought some pre-ingoted pure lead from an ebay vendor y'all mentioned. (junkateer jerry) Muzzle loader projectiles were the most pressing need for me, and seemed the most overpriced at the stores as well.

This meant I needed a pot. The thrift stores here 'bouts didn't yield any iron pots, nor suitable looking stainless pots either.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a clear vision of some volcano shaped dog bowls I'd seen. The dollar store had a smallish one for $2.99.

http://kevbo.smugmug.com/photos/634073167_NHDFG-M.jpg

That is a 1950's vintage Coleman stove under there. They made them a lot smaller back then. The dog dish is good for about 15 # of lead with comfortable free-board, or 20# if you want to splash it all over when you flux like I did the first time.

It is hard to see in the photo, but I drilled a series of holes near the top of the outer wall. This allows hot gas from the flame to move up the sides of the inner wall, making for pretty decent fuel efficiency. There is about a 90 degree sector in the front with no holes so I have a place to rest my ladle without burning the handle.

I was a bit short on time, but really wanted to try out this whole casting business, so I took time to run off a couple dozen REAL maxi-balls, and round balls. About 6 rejects....not bad for a newb:

http://kevbo.smugmug.com/photos/634073072_Zo2V8-M.jpg

Ya'll didn't tell me how pretty they'd be! (in spite of the kevbo reflection on them).

Buckshot
08-30-2009, 01:02 AM
............Well kewl beans Kevbo! They look good. Welcome to the light side of the board too:-) For me on occassion casting is a chore. Like If I'd wanted to try something only to discover the supply of boolits I thought I had a bunch of, had shrunk to a handfull rolling around in the container.

On the other hand the thought of casting just seems to hit the spot. I'll look around and find all the moulds I haven't used in some time. Then I'll put them in a stack and cast for 3-4 days till the 'Fit' is over, ha!

...............Buckshot

Goatlips
08-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Kevbo,

Genial! That volcano dog bowl with the vent holes looks made for lead dipping, not dog slurping. I can imagine your eureka moment - do you suppose they make a St. Bernard size for smelting on a camping stove? Innovations like yours make everything easier for all of us. [smilie=p:

Thanks for the plug, and happy casting!

Goatlips

JIMinPHX
08-30-2009, 02:57 AM
I'll bet that volcano shaped bowl does a good job of keeping more heat on the melt & less slipping away around the sides of the pot by keeping sides of the pot hot too. In the past, I've used a 6 x 8" sheet metal duct adapter around my pot to keep the sides warm. I think that your rig has mine beat. I like it.

shotman
08-30-2009, 03:07 AM
Hey welcome too . great Idea for a small heat source. Next you need a BIG piggy bank LOL rick/shotman

oldtoolsniper
08-30-2009, 07:27 AM
That’s slicker than dog drool. As for saving money, well a few short months ago I decided I would save money by reloading too! I have three benches covered with tools, presses and other things I needed to save money. I am quite sure I am not saving money because I always manage to find something else I need to buy to save money.

Speaking of muzzle loaders I was shocked to see 15 .45 and .50 cal maxi balls selling for $16.99. That is plain crazy as far as I am concerned. It’s been twenty five years since I have shot my muzzle loaders and the cost has gone up quite a bit if you can even find anything. Seems like in-lines, 209 primers, sabots with pistol bullets and pellets are the norm now.

I cut my own patches from pillow ticking I get at the fabric store. When you are checking the thickness of pillow ticking with your digital calipers you get some strange looks from the gals in the store. Don’t even try and explain what you are doing because it will only confirm in their minds that you are in fact crazy.

OBXPilgrim
08-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Great idea with the dog bowl. I've used a cut up aluminum plate to put around my cast pot to keep heat to the sides. I'm sure your dog bowl is much better.

Welcome to the site. Only 2nd post since April. Don't wait to come up with another great idea before you post again!

Rockchucker
08-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Congrats on your first shinny boolits, I like your setup, but something tells me it won't stop there.

qajaq59
08-30-2009, 09:09 AM
That dog dish looks like a better idea then that little metal pot that Lee sells.

timkelley
08-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Kevbo, you are not cheap, you are frugal.

snaggdit
08-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the site and +1 on the dog bowl idea! Simply brilliant. Your first boolits look great!

358wcf
08-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Kevbo-
Got to love your creativity, clear thinking, and perserverance! You are demonstrating that you have what it takes to make it in this gang-- BUT, beware the temptation to buy new toys all the time, "needed to save MONEY".
You are ready to go already- and that is quite a feat!
Welcome, new friend, to a fraternity of well-mannered, informed, and intelligent folks who share a passion for hot lead and doing things with our hands!

You go, Kevbo!!!

358wcf[smilie=s:

Axmire
08-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Of course NOW thje price of Dog Bowls will go up also, might even be a sortage of them at the local Pet Co.:roll:

Hmm, buy a case or two and sell them on E-Bay for 10 times the ammount I purchased them for, :twisted:

qajaq59
08-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Someone should make a sticky of this thread. That dog dish looks far more stable on that stove then some of the small pots that are on the market.

geargnasher
08-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Of course NOW thje price of Dog Bowls will go up also, might even be a sortage of them at the local Pet Co.:roll:

Hmm, buy a case or two and sell them on E-Bay for 10 times the ammount I purchased them for, :twisted:

That's just wrong! You wouldn't want to be called a :mrgreen:hoarder?:mrgreen: Now would you? [smilie=l:

Gear