PDA

View Full Version : .375 Ruger

Throwback
08-29-2009, 09:52 PM
No luck so far on a different branch of this forum. Does anybody have any experience with the .375 Ruger and cast bullets? Did you try filler? It is a big case, which makes higher velocities challenging. Has anyone hit more than 1,800 fps? How was accuracy?

I have a new Ruger African as well as dies cases, bullets, and factory loads but I am completely new to the excursion. At a mere 7.5lbs this rifle kicks notably more than any H&H I have shot. My first stock cracked after 6 shots and a replacement is on the way, which I will mount with a Pachmayr Decelerator and perhaps a little lead weight to boot.

I will take it on a hunt as soon as I can get any meaningful practice in.

BruceB
08-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Sorry about the lack of replies.

You have to realize that there are probably no more than a few thousand .375 Ruger rifles out there. Out of that number, a relatively small percentage are owned by handloaders. Out of THAT number, the figure for bullet-casting handloaders will be miniscule. On top of that, the chances of even a few of the bullet-casting .375 Ruger owners seeing your post are slim-to-NONE.

So, what to do? Casters, especially those who use relatively-unusual calibers, are pretty much thrown on their own. This is OK, since we are do-it-ourselves types anyway....unless you just HAVE to have the info in black and white on a printed page.

Go to the handbooks and start with mid-range cast-bullet loads for the .375 H&H. Since the H&H case is a good bit smaller-capacity than the .375 Ruger, all such loads should be perfectly safe. Do your own load workups, and KEEP GOOD RECORDS.

In this cartridge, I'd probably begin with one of the 4895s, which offer good bulk and sterling performance. Start low and work up one grain at a time. At some point, speeds will become more consistent and the charge will begin burning cleanly.

Whatever bullet you choose, I'd lean to the heavy end of the weight range for hunting use. In my .404 and .416 Rigby, 4198, 4895, and AA5744 have all worked alright at up to 2000-2100 fps. Decent accuracy seems to come fairly-easily with the larger calibers, and your .375 should be no exception. (My .416 groups cast softpoints under 1.5"/5rounds at 100 yards, at over 2000 fps....a 200-yard killer for sure.) Consider using polyester filler for loads which leave a lot of empty space in the case.

You're stepping out into a new adventure here. Don't be shy about asking questions.