PDA

View Full Version : Buying tin ingots

odinohi
08-29-2009, 09:12 PM
I have an opportunity to buy 5lbs of tin ingots. It would cost me 1000 30cal Gator Checks and 250 pieces of once fired 357mag cases. I was garage saling today and found about two and a half pounds of pewter in picture frames for 1.50. I also have access to radiator solder. Do you think I really should get off my Gator checks? I also bought a couple of OLD lamps that seem to be pewter. My pocket knive shaved a little off, but still not sure if they're pewter. They seem to have a little cracking going on on the very edge. Wish I could find the batteries for my camera so I could show what I mean. I think I'll look in the junk drawer. Thanks, Tom

timkelley
08-29-2009, 09:32 PM
If you are sure the ingots are pure tin, that price is probably about right. I make it $25.00 worth of checks and $20.00 worth of brass or $9.00 a pound, Rotometals wants $11.00 a pound. If you have any doubt about the tin, pass on it.

odinohi
08-29-2009, 09:45 PM
What do you guys make out of this? The pic on the left shows some of the cracks. The one on the right shows where I carved into it with my pocket knife. Seemed kinda hard with the knife. Do you think its pewter? Thanks, Tom

257 Shooter
08-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Get the Tin from Rotometals. You will be buying a known quantity. If you mention Cast Boolits you get a 10% disount and if you spend $100.00 shipping is free. You will still have your gas checks and brass and can be shooting in no time.