PDA

View Full Version : "I Took The Ride I Prayed I'd Never Have To Take Yesterday"

45nut
08-29-2009, 03:06 PM
I Took The Ride I Prayed I'd Never Have To Take Yesterday
I remember the medics calling my name; asking me what day it was; what was my age; and some other stuff before the lights went out again. I remember hearing a medic say to someone that my pupils were blown and the med unit turned a corner. I don't remember the sternum rub or them putting the O2 mask on. Or why.

It took the medics half an hour to stabilise me for transport and I was unconscious the entire time in the car park. I don't even remember getting shot. I don't remember the crowd. I don't remember being carried by a civilian to the back of my unit. I didn't even hear the sirens coming for me. I don't remember the IVs being started in the back of my patrol unit before I was loaded on the backboard to the gurney. My vest saved me and I have bruises and bruised ribs, but I'm alive. The rounds didn't penetrate my vest. I never saw where they came from.

I'm down for a couple weeks and I'm only sore.

Why I'm writing this is to thank all of you here who pray for us others here every day. I know I do. I'm sure I'm here today because of you.

Thank you very much. All I can offer is my thanks.

Maureen

:shock: :sad: I am sure any prayers sent her way would be appreciated, she is a LEO is So Cal.

klcarroll
08-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Words all but fail me: ...Thank God the vest did it's job!

Take it easy! .......Take your time and make sure all the "bruises" have healed before resuming "The Routine"!

Kent

Dale53
08-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Well, my prayers are with ALL of the good people, men and women, alike who look out for us. Police, firefighters and our servicemen and women EVERYWHERE around the world.

Maureen, we are extremely grateful that you were not injured more seriously (now we know why vests are REALLY useful garments).

Dale53

45caster
08-29-2009, 03:28 PM
The good lord was looking out for you I am glad everything is ok .Iwill keep you and your family in my prayers. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

45nut
08-29-2009, 03:32 PM
More details: This is NOT me but a frequent contributor on another forum I visit. She is one of the "good guys".

GLynn41
08-29-2009, 03:50 PM
i hope all goes well-- if it was that bad with a vest --wow she and all LOs have my prayers--firemen too as I am a vol firefighter

Trey45
08-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Prayers for a full and speedy recovery. I hope the vermin that shot her is caught and given the "special treatment" cop shooters get.

SharpsShooter
08-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Thank God she made it. Prayers sent!

SS

9.3X62AL
08-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Maureen--

God bless you and keep you, as He did at the time you exchanged finality with your assailant.

Det. Al (Ret.), Riverside S.O.

45nut
08-29-2009, 04:33 PM
she was on duty, stopped to get a cup of coffee to go, and as she stepped out of the door to go to her unit, 2 shots.

Now that is wrong on every level.

Johnch
08-29-2009, 04:56 PM
OMG that is just wrong in so many ways

Hope they catch the SOB that shot her

Hope her the best

John

9.3X62AL
08-29-2009, 05:16 PM

Agreed. One of the follow-on posters at the originating board shared the opinion that she was essentially ambushed as a part of a gang initiation. That is as likely a scenario as any I can conjure up, given the circs as known. If so, the move won't be kept a secret--a banger doesn't keep actions like that close to the vest. Maybe a SWAT team could be sent to the assailant's house to sort the facts out.

cbrick
08-29-2009, 07:48 PM

Wrong seems such a weak word for this. Very sadly this isn't anything new and the punishments for such acts are far too weak.

25+ years ago acquaintances of mine, husband, wife and three kids had the family destroyed by this same scenario. Tim was LAFD aspiring to make captain, Tina had always dreamed of being on the police force but thought being a stay at home mom was more important. When the kids became teenagers she applied to the LAPD and went through the academy, with less than three months on the job she stepped out of the passenger side of the police cruiser, put one foot on the ground, stood up and a shot rang out. An illegal had fired the shot with a 357 Mag from the sidewalk and Tina was hit center of the forehead.

As the story came out later her partner saw him fire the shot and subdued him but at that moment hadn’t realized she had been hit. The guy was convicted and given life but with CA law he’s probably out by now.

Yeah, wrong is such a weak word.

All my best wishes for a complete recovery Maureen and thank you for all you do.

Rick

Throckmorton
08-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Our prayers and best wishes for you,and THANK YOU for doing what you do.!

Echo
08-29-2009, 09:09 PM
The Sheepdogs among us deserve our acknowledgement, respect, and prayers - and they have them from me.

Bret4207
08-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Lucky. Thoughts and prayers to her and her family and her "family".

Huh. Funny I don't see any of the cop bashers posting in this thread....

cajun shooter
08-30-2009, 08:04 AM
As a former officer of the law I started to have a sick feeling as I read the posting by Ken. In 15 years I buried 7 close friends with 2 of them being riding partners. One male and one female and both of them always wanted to help people and do good. Jimmy and I had our differences at times, you are like a married couple in that patrol unit. We also had the laughs, jokes and fun that didn't stop until our shift was over. He always wore his vest, he never left home with out it until that one day. To this day I or no one can say why on this day he left it off, but he did. He would always tell me to save my money and buy one(Our department and several others don't supply them)as it could save my life. On this day, I had been transferred to Narcotics and heard him on the radio being dispatched to a call and I called him. I said , Jimmy give me a 21 here in Narcotics when you go 98 off your call. He never made that call as he was shot through the heart when he stepped on that porch and knocked on that door. Thanks for allowing me to vent. Later David

exile
08-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Our prayers are with her and all who serve our nation daily in harms way.

exile

44man
08-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Our prayers are with her and all who serve our nation daily in harms way.

exile
I have a hard time responding I feel so bad.
Stinking liberals give criminals more rights then they do us. The gangs should be wiped out, plain and simple. Old west justice, hang em high!

Freightman
08-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Stinking liberals give criminals more rights then they do us. The gangs should be wiped out, plain and simple. Old west justice, hang em high!
And often!

klcarroll
08-30-2009, 04:17 PM
.......Huh. Funny I don't see any of the cop bashers posting in this thread....

I am NOT a "Cop Basher" by any stretch of the imagination!

………But I will freely admit to HATING the intrusion on our Rights and Privacy created by “The Patriot Act” and “The Department of Homeland Security”!!!!

…..Any time a Department of the U.S. Government can characterize returning U.S. Veterans as “Homegrown Terrorist Risks”; ….There is something terribly wrong!!!

But as bitterly as I oppose those attitudes and positions, I have never blamed “The Troops In The Field” for the abominations foisted on us by Washington!!! …..Our Police Officers are, in the vast majority, honorable, dedicated people who deserve our whole-hearted respect and support!

Maureen, ….You have my prayers!

Kent

sundog
08-30-2009, 04:48 PM
don't forget the Bank Secrecy Act...

MaureenO
09-05-2009, 01:05 AM
As a former officer of the law I started to have a sick feeling as I read the posting by Ken. In 15 years I buried 7 close friends with 2 of them being riding partners. One male and one female and both of them always wanted to help people and do good. Jimmy and I had our differences at times, you are like a married couple in that patrol unit. We also had the laughs, jokes and fun that didn't stop until our shift was over. He always wore his vest, he never left home with out it until that one day. To this day I or no one can say why on this day he left it off, but he did. He would always tell me to save my money and buy one(Our department and several others don't supply them)as it could save my life. On this day, I had been transferred to Narcotics and heard him on the radio being dispatched to a call and I called him. I said , Jimmy give me a 21 here in Narcotics when you go 98 off your call. He never made that call as he was shot through the heart when he stepped on that porch and knocked on that door. Thanks for allowing me to vent. Later David

David, I've recently discovered that venting is the best therapy. I'm so sorry about Jimmy, I know he would have made that 21 to you have he gone 98.

God rest his pure soul. And God bring peace to yours, David.

I was on OT last week when this happened and was riding solo. I'm glad because I love my partner even though he is a clown most of the time and full of corny jokes.

I've been seeing the dept psych and she's been a Godsend. She isn't anything like I expected. She's more like a grandma and can she swear!!

I'm still scared, though, so don't let me fool you into thinkin g I've got it all together yet. I'm far from it.

I'm here if you want to talk, I'll listen...

Maureen 8-)

Suo Gan
09-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Maureen, Thanks for all you do. May God bless you and keep you safe always.

rugerman1
09-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Maureen,
I'm a member on TB2K and read the original thread over there.I want to thank you for doing a job I couldn't possibly do,and wish you a speedy recovery.

WELCOME TO CASTBOOLITS! :drinks:

45nut
09-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Glad you dropped in Maureen, and very glad you are feeling even a "wee bit" better.

dukenukum
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Praying for her and all L.E.O and Fire Fighters.

Jaybird62
09-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Maureen:
Words flying around this electronic medium fail miserably to convey the emotion and heart-felt thanks for what you do, that I, and I'm sure others, feel but can't express. My prayers for your speedy recovery in mind, body and spirit.

qajaq59
09-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I'd bet those vests save a lot of lives every year. Thank God she was wearing it!!!

DLCTEX
09-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Thank you for your service Maureen and may God keep you safe.

MaureenO
09-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Glad you dropped in Maureen, and very glad you are feeling even a "wee bit" better.

Thank you, 45. Today I feel emotionally like a flat-line ECG--no ups or downs, just stable. I'm not sure how to take that?? Physically, I'm feeling much better and am regaining strength. I can see why the psych said the emotional healing will take longer than I expect.

I can tell you this, though--when TSHTF I will instantly go to response mode. I'm thankful for that.

Mo

Bret4207
09-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Best wishes to you Maureen, it takes time for the trauma to settle.

Tpr. BW Martin, NYSP Retired.

9.3X62AL
09-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Maureen--

Welcome to Cast Boolits, brave lady. Very glad to see you here, the site (and the hobby field it represents) helped keep me sane for a lotta years of cop work prior to my retirement in 2005.

Check for PM.

Allen Paine (Inv.)
Riverside (CA) SD

1874Sharps
09-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Psalms 27

The Lord is my Light and my Salvation. Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life. Of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear. Though war should rise against me in this will I be confident: One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after. That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all my days, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple.

These words and words like them from the Bible comforted me after I sustained a permanent nerve injury while in the line of duty while serving in the US NAVY. When I placed my faith in Christ and his substitunionary death on the cross for my sins and his resurrection from death to life on the third day, I received the grace and blessing of God that gives eternal life (not of works, but by God's mercy and grace). Even if the injury I sustained had resulted in death, that would have opened the door to heaven and eternity with my Lord and all who also have placed their in Jesus Christ. Maureen, please accept my humble thanks for your service and wishes for a speedy recovery. If you do not know the Lord as your Savior and would like to know more of what the Bible says then feel free to contact me through a PM.

qajaq59
09-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Maureen, glad your doing a bit better. And the emotional side will go up and down for a while. But then you'll likely do a lot of those things that you've been putting off. And you'll enjoy every blessed minute of it.

oldtoolsniper
09-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Semper Fi

Larry Gibson
09-07-2009, 09:04 AM

I'll vote for that.....God blessed Maureen as she has survived.

Larry Gibson

1Shirt
09-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Agree with Larry! Hang tough Maureen!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

felix
09-07-2009, 12:59 PM
The Story of Michael: The Tallest of All Marines

Below you will find a letter written by a young marine to his mother after being wounded on a Korean battlefield in 1950. The Navy chaplain, Father Walter Muddy, to whom the letter was shown, thoroughly checked the facts with the young Marine and the sergeant in whose patrol he had served. Having concluded that that the facts mentioned in the letter had actually occurred, Father Muddy made the letter public in 1951 before a gathering of 5,000 Marines at the Naval base in San Diego, California. Since then the letter has been published in newspapers and magazines, read on the radio and television, all over the world:

Dear Mom,

I wouldn't dare write this letter to anyone but you because no one else would believe it. Maybe even you will find it hard but I have got to tell somebody.

First off, I am in a hospital. Now don't worry, ya hear me, don't worry. I was wounded but I am okay you understand. Okay. The doctor says that I will be up and around in a month.
But that is not what I want to tell you.

Remember when I joined the Marines last year; remember when I left, how you told me to say a prayer to St. Michael every day. You really didn't have to tell me that. Ever since I can remember you always told me to pray to St. Michael the Archangel. You even named me after him. Well I always have.

When I got to Korea, I prayed even harder. Remember the prayer that you taught me?

"Michael, Michael of the morning fresh crop of Heaven adorning," you know the rest of it. Well I said it everyday. Sometimes when I was marching or sometimes resting. But always before I went to sleep. I even got some of the other fellas to say it.

Well, one day I was with an advance detail way up over the front lines. We were scouting for the Commies. I was plodding along in the bitter cold, my breath was like cigar smoke.

I thought I knew every guy in the patrol, when along side of me comes another Marine I never met before. He was bigger than any other Marine I'd ever seen. He must have been 6' 4" and built in proportion. It gave me a feeling of security to have such a body near.

Anyway, there we were trudging along. The rest of the patrol spread out. Just to start a conversation I said, "Cold ain't it." And then I laughed. Here I was with a good chance of getting killed any minute and I am talking about the weather.

My companion seemed to understand. I heard him laugh softly.

I looked at him, "I have never seen you before, I thought I knew every man in the outfit."

"I just joined at the last minute", he replied. "The name is Michael."

"Is that so," I said surprised. "That is my name too."

"I know," he said and then went on, "Michael, Michael of the morning . . ."

I was too amazed to say anything for a minute. How did he know my name, and a prayer that you had taught me? Then I smiled to myself, every guy in the outfit knew about me. Hadn't I taught the prayer to anybody who would listen. Why now and then, they even referred to me as St. Michael.

Neither of us spoke for a time and then he broke the silence. "We are going to have some trouble up ahead."

He must have been in fine physical shape or he was breathing so lightly I couldn't see his breath. Mine poured out in great clouds. There was no smile on his face now. Trouble ahead, I thought to myself, well with the Commies all around us, that is no great revelation.

Snow began to fall in great thick globs. In a brief moment the whole countryside was blotted out. And I was marching in a white fog of wet sticky particles. My companion disappeared.

"Michael, " I shouted in sudden alarm.

I felt his hand on my arm, his voice was rich and strong, "This will stop shortly."

His prophecy proved to be correct. In a few minutes the snow stopped as abruptly as it had begun. The sun was a hard shining disc.

I looked back for the rest of the patrol, there was no one in sight. We lost them in that heavy fall of snow. I looked ahead as we came over a little rise.

Mom, my heart stopped. There were seven of them. Seven Commies in their padded pants and jackets and their funny hats. Only there wasn't anything funny about them now. Seven rifles were aimed at us.

"Down Michael, " I screamed and hit the frozen earth.

I heard those rifles fire almost as one. I heard the bullets. There was Michael still standing.

Mom, those guys couldn't have missed, not at that range. I expected to see him literally blown to bits.

But there he stood, making no effort to fire himself. He was paralyzed with fear. It happens sometimes, Mom, even to the bravest. He was like a bird fascinated by a snake.

At least, that was what I thought then. I jumped up to pull him down and that was when I got mine. I felt a sudden flame in my chest. I often wondered what it felt like to be hit, now I know.
I remember feeling strong arms about me, arms that laid me ever so gently on a pillow of snow. I opened my eyes, for one last look. I was dying. Maybe I was even dead, I remember thinking well, this is not so bad.

Maybe I was looking into the sun. Maybe I was in shock. But it seemed I saw Michael standing erect again only this time his face was shining with a terrible splendor.

As I say, maybe it was the sun in my eyes, but he seemed to change as I watched him. He grew bigger, his arms stretched out wide, maybe it was the snow falling again, but there was a brightness around him like the wings of an Angel. In his hand was a sword. A sword that flashed with a million lights.

Well, that is the last thing I remember until the rest of the fellas came up and found me. I do not know how much time had passed. Now and then I had but a moment's rest from the pain and fever. I remember telling them of the enemy just ahead.

"Where is Michael," I asked.

I saw them look at one another. "Where's who?" asked one. "Michael, Michael that big Marine I was walking with just before the snow squall hit us."

"Kid," said the sergeant, "You weren't walking with anyone. I had my eyes on you the whole time. You were getting too far out. I was just going to call you in when you disappeared in the snow."
<> He looked at me, curiously. "How did you do it kid?"

"How'd I do what?" I asked half angry despite my wound. "This marine named Michael and I were just . . ."

"Son, " said the sergeant kindly, "I picked this outfit myself and there just ain't another Michael in it. You are the only Mike in it."

He paused for a minute, "Just how did you do it kid? We heard shots. There hasn't been a shot fired from your rifle. And there isn't a bit of lead in them seven bodies over the hill there."

I didn't say anything, what could I say. I could only look open-mouthed with amazement. It was then the sergeant spoke again, "Kid," he said gently, "everyone of those seven Commies was killed by a sword stroke."

That is all I can tell you Mom. As I say, it may have been the sun in my eyes, it may have been the cold or the pain. But that is what happened.

Love, Michael

PRAYER IN TIME OF WAR

O God, Who brings an end to wars and defeats the assailants of those who hope in Thee, help us when we turn to Thee, and grant us that the cruelty of our enemies may be crushed, and we, in turn, may praise Thee in unending Thanksgiving. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Mary, Queen of Christians, pray for us.

From the Catholic "Mass in Time of War"

PRAYER FOR PEACE

O God, from Whom all holy desires, all right counsels and all just works do proceed; give unto Thy servants that peace which the world cannot give; that our hearts may be set to obey Thy commandments, and that, unafraid of our enemies, we may spend our days, under Thy protection, in peaceful order. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us.

MaureenO
09-07-2009, 08:43 PM
The Story of Michael: The Tallest of All Marines

Below you will find a letter written by a young marine to his mother after being wounded on a Korean battlefield in 1950. The Navy chaplain, Father Walter Muddy, to whom the letter was shown, thoroughly checked the facts with the young Marine and the sergeant in whose patrol he had served. Having concluded that that the facts mentioned in the letter had actually occurred, Father Muddy made the letter public in 1951 before a gathering of 5,000 Marines at the Naval base in San Diego, California. Since then the letter has been published in newspapers and magazines, read on the radio and television, all over the world:

Dear Mom,

I wouldn't dare write this letter to anyone but you because no one else would believe it. Maybe even you will find it hard but I have got to tell somebody.

First off, I am in a hospital. Now don't worry, ya hear me, don't worry. I was wounded but I am okay you understand. Okay. The doctor says that I will be up and around in a month.
But that is not what I want to tell you.

Remember when I joined the Marines last year; remember when I left, how you told me to say a prayer to St. Michael every day. You really didn't have to tell me that. Ever since I can remember you always told me to pray to St. Michael the Archangel. You even named me after him. Well I always have.

When I got to Korea, I prayed even harder. Remember the prayer that you taught me?

"Michael, Michael of the morning fresh crop of Heaven adorning," you know the rest of it. Well I said it everyday. Sometimes when I was marching or sometimes resting. But always before I went to sleep. I even got some of the other fellas to say it.

Well, one day I was with an advance detail way up over the front lines. We were scouting for the Commies. I was plodding along in the bitter cold, my breath was like cigar smoke.

I thought I knew every guy in the patrol, when along side of me comes another Marine I never met before. He was bigger than any other Marine I'd ever seen. He must have been 6' 4" and built in proportion. It gave me a feeling of security to have such a body near.

Anyway, there we were trudging along. The rest of the patrol spread out. Just to start a conversation I said, "Cold ain't it." And then I laughed. Here I was with a good chance of getting killed any minute and I am talking about the weather.

My companion seemed to understand. I heard him laugh softly.

I looked at him, "I have never seen you before, I thought I knew every man in the outfit."

"I just joined at the last minute", he replied. "The name is Michael."

"Is that so," I said surprised. "That is my name too."

"I know," he said and then went on, "Michael, Michael of the morning . . ."

I was too amazed to say anything for a minute. How did he know my name, and a prayer that you had taught me? Then I smiled to myself, every guy in the outfit knew about me. Hadn't I taught the prayer to anybody who would listen. Why now and then, they even referred to me as St. Michael.

Neither of us spoke for a time and then he broke the silence. "We are going to have some trouble up ahead."

He must have been in fine physical shape or he was breathing so lightly I couldn't see his breath. Mine poured out in great clouds. There was no smile on his face now. Trouble ahead, I thought to myself, well with the Commies all around us, that is no great revelation.

Snow began to fall in great thick globs. In a brief moment the whole countryside was blotted out. And I was marching in a white fog of wet sticky particles. My companion disappeared.

"Michael, " I shouted in sudden alarm.

I felt his hand on my arm, his voice was rich and strong, "This will stop shortly."

His prophecy proved to be correct. In a few minutes the snow stopped as abruptly as it had begun. The sun was a hard shining disc.

I looked back for the rest of the patrol, there was no one in sight. We lost them in that heavy fall of snow. I looked ahead as we came over a little rise.

Mom, my heart stopped. There were seven of them. Seven Commies in their padded pants and jackets and their funny hats. Only there wasn't anything funny about them now. Seven rifles were aimed at us.

"Down Michael, " I screamed and hit the frozen earth.

I heard those rifles fire almost as one. I heard the bullets. There was Michael still standing.

Mom, those guys couldn't have missed, not at that range. I expected to see him literally blown to bits.

But there he stood, making no effort to fire himself. He was paralyzed with fear. It happens sometimes, Mom, even to the bravest. He was like a bird fascinated by a snake.

At least, that was what I thought then. I jumped up to pull him down and that was when I got mine. I felt a sudden flame in my chest. I often wondered what it felt like to be hit, now I know.
I remember feeling strong arms about me, arms that laid me ever so gently on a pillow of snow. I opened my eyes, for one last look. I was dying. Maybe I was even dead, I remember thinking well, this is not so bad.

Maybe I was looking into the sun. Maybe I was in shock. But it seemed I saw Michael standing erect again only this time his face was shining with a terrible splendor.

As I say, maybe it was the sun in my eyes, but he seemed to change as I watched him. He grew bigger, his arms stretched out wide, maybe it was the snow falling again, but there was a brightness around him like the wings of an Angel. In his hand was a sword. A sword that flashed with a million lights.

Well, that is the last thing I remember until the rest of the fellas came up and found me. I do not know how much time had passed. Now and then I had but a moment's rest from the pain and fever. I remember telling them of the enemy just ahead.

"Where is Michael," I asked.

I saw them look at one another. "Where's who?" asked one. "Michael, Michael that big Marine I was walking with just before the snow squall hit us."

"Kid," said the sergeant, "You weren't walking with anyone. I had my eyes on you the whole time. You were getting too far out. I was just going to call you in when you disappeared in the snow."
<> He looked at me, curiously. "How did you do it kid?"

"How'd I do what?" I asked half angry despite my wound. "This marine named Michael and I were just . . ."

"Son, " said the sergeant kindly, "I picked this outfit myself and there just ain't another Michael in it. You are the only Mike in it."

He paused for a minute, "Just how did you do it kid? We heard shots. There hasn't been a shot fired from your rifle. And there isn't a bit of lead in them seven bodies over the hill there."

I didn't say anything, what could I say. I could only look open-mouthed with amazement. It was then the sergeant spoke again, "Kid," he said gently, "everyone of those seven Commies was killed by a sword stroke."

That is all I can tell you Mom. As I say, it may have been the sun in my eyes, it may have been the cold or the pain. But that is what happened.

Love, Michael

PRAYER IN TIME OF WAR

O God, Who brings an end to wars and defeats the assailants of those who hope in Thee, help us when we turn to Thee, and grant us that the cruelty of our enemies may be crushed, and we, in turn, may praise Thee in unending Thanksgiving. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Mary, Queen of Christians, pray for us.

From the Catholic "Mass in Time of War"

PRAYER FOR PEACE

O God, from Whom all holy desires, all right counsels and all just works do proceed; give unto Thy servants that peace which the world cannot give; that our hearts may be set to obey Thy commandments, and that, unafraid of our enemies, we may spend our days, under Thy protection, in peaceful order. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us.

Whoa. Felix, my chief gave us all St. Michael pins to pin to our vests a few years ago. I've never left the "house" without mine pinned in place.

Now I'm interested to see my vest (all my gear and uniform was booked into evidence). I want to see how St. Michael made out.

Maureen

Mumblypeg
09-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Maureen, I read your post this morning but couldn't reply till now. I didn't want my wife see the tear going down my cheek... Most importantly, you survived. I retired from LE in Jan. after 34 years and 5 months. In all those years I have to say I saw a lot of blood and guts but only one thing ever really bothered me. Loosing a good friend to to a scumbag. The consolation was he died also. It's great to hear that your ok even though I don't know you. Be brave but stay alert and be safe. The coming days will find you wondering when or if it will happen again and you will have to to face those demons. For me it's nice to not have to worry about if I will have to tell someones spouse that they won't be coming home, something I allways feared though I have many close friends still there. Don't ever forget that for every person that doesn't like you because you're a cop there are millions more that like you because you are one. Hang tough we'll be here.

qajaq59
09-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Don't ever forget that for every person that doesn't like you because you're a cop there are millions more that like you because you are one. Hang tough we'll be here. Whatever happened to this country. When I was kid (a long time ago I admit) you were taught that the cops were the good guys who would always help you. Does no one teach that to their kids anymore?

felix
09-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Yes, Maureen, the significance of that story is the magic number SEVEN, in that there are SEVEN DEADLY SINS. ... felix

Dale53
09-08-2009, 11:41 AM
qajaq59;
There is a subset culture in our society that doesn't teach their kids ANYTHING. They are dumped on the streets at an early age and that is all they know. In the closest big city to me (Cincinnati) fully fifty percent of the kids do not finish high school (FIFTY PERCENT!). Since there are VERY few jobs for untrained workers these days, these kids become everything but what they SHOULD be. There is a shooting every night in Cincinnati on the news). Just a few years ago you could take your wife to downtown Cincinnati and walk safely through the town at night. I don't do that anymore...

This is all the curse of unwed mothers and one parent households. It breaks my heart. We are literally throwing away a significant part of each generation, the prisons are over crowded and NO ONE is addressing the real problem - no parenting. The gangs own the streets and police men and police women are TARGETS.

Dale53

MaureenO
09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
qajaq59;
There is a subset culture in our society that doesn't teach their kids ANYTHING. They are dumped on the streets at an early age and that is all they know. In the closest big city to me (Cincinnati) fully fifty percent of the kids do not finish high school (FIFTY PERCENT!). Since there are VERY few jobs for untrained workers these days, these kids become everything but what they SHOULD be. There is a shooting every night in Cincinnati on the news). Just a few years ago you could take your wife to downtown Cincinnati and walk safely through the town at night. I don't do that anymore...

This is all the curse of unwed mothers and one parent households. It breaks my heart. We are literally throwing away a significant part of each generation, the prisons are over crowded and NO ONE is addressing the real problem - no parenting. The gangs own the streets and police men and police women are TARGETS.

Dale53

Dale, you're correct. My uniform and all it represents was targeted, not me personally. Elders are teaching kids how to hate and there is no excuse for that.

Do they ever teach their kids to pray?

Maureen

dsmjon
09-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Sadly, not many do teach their kids to pray. IMO, people are taught and reinforced to watch out for themselves and themselves alone. Dale you are 100% correct. While I believers of Christ still represent the majority of this nation, until we decide to take a stand and make our beliefs known...and more importantly make them PRACTICED, we will remain 'circling the bowl', if you catch my drift.

Pardon the last run-on sentence.. I struggled a bit there..

dsmjon
09-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I should add my intent is not to turn this into a religion vs. whatever thread. Those that disagree with my opinion are entitled to such just the same as I am mine. I guess my point boils down to moral decay: politically, judicially, and parentally.

MaureenO
09-09-2009, 03:51 AM
I should add my intent is not to turn this into a religion vs. whatever thread. Those that disagree with my opinion are entitled to such just the same as I am mine. I guess my point boils down to moral decay: politically, judicially, and parentally.

I agree with you. I also know that very few good values are being taught to our kids at home and in school. Kids are taught to hate at an early age and they are not taught to own their responsibilities. Personal pride has been kicked to the curb and kids follow that negative pattern far too often which results in me or people like me needing to have contact with them. By then, it's almost too late to save them.

Maureen

JRW
09-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Maureen;

While you had to take that ride, I am thankful you did not have to take the other ride. you survived. after 25 years of this stuff, and being retired for two, now, i still have a flood of tears for those that took their last ride and had their last radio call.

Thank God you are still with us! we've lost too many thus far.

Jim

Bret4207
09-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Regardless of religious beliefs or affiliations the 10 Commandments make a very good set of rules for any society. Alter the wording to a secular tone and they still work. When basic religious tones were removed from the schools by progressives in the 60's and when the same God haters/secular humanists managed to pervert the concept of separation of church and state they gave a rising culture the push off the cliff it needed. Now instead of a Higher Power our culture as a whole worships celebrities, things/consumption and the only rule is "me above all else". This is what Progressive/Socialist/Marxist/Democrats/Liberals want and what they've brought us. They are responsible for this from LBJ's Great Society and Clintons stained dress right on back to Wilson imprisoning his critics.

Now we're circling the bowl as another poster said and about all we can hope for is a quick death.