PDA

View Full Version : ? on brass mold

08-28-2009, 04:56 PM
i have never had a brass mold. less talk 4 cav. and no hp . are they heaver than steel? they should be harder than alum. is there heat change ( up and down ) in between steel and alum or close to one? i see 2 cav, does any one make 4 or 6 cav? for a 4 cav, how much more would it cost over a steel and alum ? for the normal using it , does it cast better than steel and alum ? how much berrer for wear is it than alum ?

coments from mold makers welcome also. thanks

runfiverun
08-28-2009, 11:04 PM
look at old west bullet molds you can get an idea there as far as cavaties and prices.
brass falls about halfway between aluminum and mehanite molds as far as weight and temp control.

beagle
08-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Like any mould material, I guess brass has it's quirks. Heavier slightly than aluminum, easier to care for than steel or aluminum, pleasant to cast with.

But, like any other mould, you can't drop them, use them for a hammer or pliers or in other ways use them not as intended.

Properly taken care of, like any mould, they'll last a lifetime.

I have several sets of yankee moulds made back in the 40s, as well as some steel Ideals that are good as the day they were made and have probably turned out a ton of bullets and will still be making bullets long after I'm gone./beagle

GLynn41
08-29-2009, 09:35 AM
heavier than al molds// heats up a little slower// Dan at Mountain Mold said that tolerate hot temps better//casts very well// and any one who uses a good mold for pliers well poor mold and he will get what he deserves-- a not so good mold