PDA

View Full Version : Mosin-Nagant 1938 Carbine & Gallery Loads

ordway
04-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I am thinking about picking up a Model 38 Carbine to be used with gallery loads at distances of 50 t0 75 ft. (indoor range) utilizing the Lee 32 cal. 90 gr. semi-wadcutter pistol bullet. Gallery loads are 5 to 7 grains of Bullseye, W231 or Red Dot. Has anyone on the forum tried the 38 carbine with similar loads? What has your experience been? Thanks. Contact me at: ordway@intergate.com.

junkbug
04-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Ordway;

I have just begun to experiment with Speer 100 gr. half jacketed bullets and about 7.0 gr of Unique in a Moisin Nagant 91/30 long rifle. Accuracy at 25 and 50 yards has been OK, but I am looking for better. The indoor range I have a membership at will not allow rifles in high power cartridges, no matter what the loading.

I believe there is a lot of potential there, and it will be fun experimenting. The 91/30 is undergoing a little cleaning up, so the project is going slowly now. I will keep you posted.

I also have a Saeco 4 cavity fat 30 mold that is rated at about 115 grains. After I get a feel for the rifle with the Speer bullets, I will break out this mold.

Take care.

Sean

Pystis
04-08-2006, 06:57 PM
In the link below is some history etc. about gallery loads and cat sneezes.

Gunwriters (http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html)

Larry Gibson
04-09-2006, 12:46 PM
I am thinking about picking up a Model 38 Carbine to be used with gallery loads at distances of 50 t0 75 ft. (indoor range) utilizing the Lee 32 cal. 90 gr. semi-wadcutter pistol bullet. Gallery loads are 5 to 7 grains of Bullseye, W231 or Red Dot. Has anyone on the forum tried the 38 carbine with similar loads? What has your experience been? Thanks. Contact me at: ordway@intergate.com.

I shoot a lot of the Lee TL314-90-SWC in numerous .30 and .31s including 7.62x54R. I have been shooting them for years. The Hornady 90 gr swaged .32 lead bullets do just as well. "Gallery loads are 5 to 7 grains of Bullseye, W231 or Red Dot" takes them out of "gallery range" and accuracy is not all that good. In the 7.62x54R I use 3 gr of bulleye, velocity will be about 850 fps from your rifle with this bullet sized 312 to .314.

Sizing of the bullet is dependant on a tight slip fit into the cases fire formed neck. Just chamfer the case mouth so the bullet is a tight push with the fingers to seat. The lube holds it in place for single loading (I size the neck for those run through the magazine). Thus I just wipe the case off, deprime, charge with 3 gr Bullseye, finger seat the bullet and shoot. Those "throw away" cases with the hairline ring at the web indicating a probable head seperation are perfect for this. I have some I have been using for years with this load and no seperation yet.

In my MNs with good bores this load will shoot into 1.5" at 50 yards and a ragged hole at 50'. It is the quintisimal "gallery" load.

Larry Gibson