PDA

View Full Version : Percussion Caps

jim4065
08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Went to get some from the stash and discovered I'm almost out. Prices seem to be horrible - Wally World wants $6.47 plus tax for 100 CCI #11 Magnums where Midway wants $45.49 per 1000 plus $9.00 freight. The last I bought were 5 rolls from Navy Arms for $2.00 per hundred.

Never used these "Magnum" caps before - are they worth the extra cost? I have a drum and nipple rifle that's always been a bear to ignite and thought these may be the solution...........

cajun shooter
08-28-2009, 09:17 AM
I use the CCI mag caps and they work good. Are they better, I don't know and don't plan a test but if they are availble buy them. Most all my shooting is done with Goex 2F and I have never had a mis-fire, end of test.

Underclocked
08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Your going to pay a ridiculous price for caps no matter which brand you buy. I would recommend RWS 1075+ though.

And don't forget the HAZMAT. :)

Lead Fred
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Go to Dixie Gun Works, and buy a Tap-A-Cap and make your own.

We sued them for years until one day we figured out flinters were the superior ingition system :holysheep :idea:

KCSO
08-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Boy I sure feel sorry for you cap lock shooters, my last PRIMERS were free. A buddy gave me a 10 pound flint nodule from Kansas, should last me a couple of years!

deadguy
08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I've tried the Tap-O-Cap, even found some decent paper caps to try in them. Still couldn't get better than 30% actually working. I've heard that if you use the heads off strike anywhere matches for a primer compound it works very well. Well, have strike anywhere matches been banned too? No stores carry them!

10 ga
08-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Back Creek in Winchester shows various caps from $45 to $70 K. I have some #11s I bought from Dixie in 1971, red plastic Dixie can, and they still go POW every time. I have some "UNION" caps that my grandfather left (probably circa late 40s early 50s) and they still work too. Stock up if you find them cheap. Vacum pack and store in surplus ammo cans and they will be good for your grandchildren with proper care. 10 ga

Blammer
08-28-2009, 04:59 PM
I like the #11 mag caps better in my caplock, I've noticed an improved ignition in cold or wet weather. I only use black powder, FYI.

I'd pay the extra for them.

1874Sharps
08-28-2009, 05:17 PM
LeadFred,

I did a quick search of Dixie and could not find a tap-o-cap anywhere. I would like to find one and see if it will work for me in my caplocks. Do you know anywhere else I can find it (or maybe I did not do a proper search of Dixie)?

Baron von Trollwhack
08-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Careful, those red plastic can dixie caps from the early 70s were corrosive, and a pain in the *utt because of extremely hard cups.

I'm happy I used mine up.

As I posted last year in late fall, cruise wally's when they stary to put seasonal sporting goods on sale. I grabbed 1500 # ll mag caps in tins at a darn good price when the clerk tipped me off. BvT

Lead Fred
08-28-2009, 06:13 PM
LeadFred,

I did a quick search of Dixie and could not find a tap-o-cap anywhere. I would like to find one and see if it will work for me in my caplocks. Do you know anywhere else I can find it (or maybe I did not do a proper search of Dixie)?

I have not had a caplock on over 25 years. My friend who I gave my tap-a-cap to, still uses it.

Dixie's website sucks, Id call them and ask.

we used kids cap gun caps in them, but super glued 4f on the bottom of the cap.
Had the normal amount of misfires for any cap.

Now I use flints, and have long ago given up on cap guns.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Im such a dumb donkey,
They are called tap-O-cap

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00070TC1000

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/archive_open_sight.htm/9

all kinds of info, if you use the right name :razz:

docone31
08-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Midway has it, but it is on back order.

mooman76
08-28-2009, 06:27 PM
You can still find the strike anyware matches but I don't see them as much as I used to. Usually in a store that sells farm supplies or camping type stuff.

mooman76
08-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Dixie gunworks tap o cap part # MI0730 And by the way it only works with the real stuff.

1874Sharps
08-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks, boys. I have the tap=o=cap in my Midway shopping cart in backorder status.

Taylor
08-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Mid South has Tap O Caps,but in my opinion don't waste your money.I don't think they work all that good,I guess the biggest problem is that you can not find good caps.I have tried a variety of them and none really work.

hamour
08-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I use CCI standard and magnum caps, depending what I can find. Last time I found several 1000 magnums, bought them up and am happy. So get the magnums and enjoy some smoke pole shooting!

oldtoolsniper
08-29-2009, 03:59 PM
I just shot about 80 of the magnums yesterday from wally world, they seem to work well in both my Hawken and Greyhawk.

10 ga
08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
I prefer the Rotweil caps, however the CCIs are good too. Only caps I've ever had any trouble with are the "Big Green" Remington caps. As I shoot BP I really didn't notice any more corrosion from any type of caps. 10 ga

shdwlkr
08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
I use both mag caps and regular caps and I am slowly moving toward nothing but mag caps except for two of my pistols which I can't use mag caps on because they just seem to create to much pressure.

JIMinPHX
09-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Ohio Blue Tip is out of business. :violin::cry:

Diamond is the only brand of strike anywhere matches that you can get now. Ace Hardware usually has them.

jim4065
09-01-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm convinced to add a "stockpile" order from Midway, but it brings up a question. Just got a Ruger Old Army and it hasn't arrived yet. I keep hearing about problems with different cap sizes on the nipples - some of you have those revolvers - what size fits best?

SmuvBoGa
09-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Most of the time the regular caps by Navy Arms or the "German" red label caps do just fine esp the musket caps; the number 10 size Remingtons are ok, NOT fine but ok, the Dixie Gun Works #10 caps do WELL, BUT they are hard copper & jam up on the nipple, esp on revolvers - the Remingtons are "softer" & do not jam as much.
The CCI's are hotter caps, be they musket or #10 size - the CCI's "spit" fragments that WILL sting (just a bit) your hand / arm.
MAYBE try focusing your cleaning on the "flash channel" below the nipple pocket...? Carbon build up there will choke off the "fire" before it gets to the B.P.

JIMinPHX
09-02-2009, 03:40 AM
Caps that split, shatter, fall off or are hard to go on are also signs of a poor nipple to cap fit. Often, sanding down the nipples a little will take care of most of these problems. Obviously, if the caps are falling off, then sanding down the nipples is not the answer.

jack19512
09-02-2009, 06:58 AM
Caps that split, shatter, fall off or are hard to go on are also signs of a poor nipple to cap fit.

When shooting my Lyman GPR in 54 cal. Most of the time the split, shatter is what happens to my caps. So far I have only tried the CCI caps. I didn't know that the split, shatter was a sign of anything wrong. This is my first percussion rifle.

JIMinPHX
09-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Some brands of cap are slightly bigger than others. CCI & Remington both claim to make standard #10 & standard #11 caps. From experience, I can tell you that one brand is a little tighter than the other. I don't remember which was which. I standardized on CCI & custom cut all my nipples to fit them a long time ago. RWS also makes a 10.5, that is between the #10 & #11. Sometimes, just changing the brand of caps that you use is enough to get rid of the problem. Sometimes, you have to put the nipple in a drill press & spin it while holding sandpaper against it until you get a good fit. A cap that fits snug, but not tight is usually what you want. I often try to turn a little hump in the nipple to retain the cap better. The cap should split when fired, but not shatter. A shattered cap is usually a sign that it was too tight on the nipple. It could be caused by other problems too though.

1874Sharps
09-02-2009, 06:49 PM
I was out shooting an 1863 Starr this afternoon and it has a set of nipples that are size 10 or just a fuzz smaller. However, what I had on hand was CCI #11 Magnum caps. By squeezing the sides a bit the caps were made to fit and stay securely on the nipples without any misfires. I have tried the German caps and they are certainly good caps, along with the Remington and CCI brands and everyone of them goes bang everytime. The Starr has very generous sized flash holes and setting off the charge does not seem to be a problem with any of the brands. I will try to get a hold of the Lyman Tap-o-cap when Midway gets them. I have a thousand toy cap gun caps and will experiment with making reliable caps. Probably I think they will work out for the Starr, although if I had an inline I would not be so optimistic.

JIMinPHX
09-04-2009, 01:00 AM
That pinch-a-cap trick is ok on single shot guns, but it can be a bit of a chain fire risk on a C&B revolver.

jim4065
09-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Just picked up 2 tins of Winchester "Magnum" caps at Wal-Mart. Won't get a chance to try 'em til next week. They don't say "CCI" or anything like that on the package - maybe made by Winchester?

Archer
09-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm convinced to add a "stockpile" order from Midway, but it brings up a question. Just got a Ruger Old Army and it hasn't arrived yet. I keep hearing about problems with different cap sizes on the nipples - some of you have those revolvers - what size fits best?

Jim,

I've got a Ruger Old Army, and use CCI #11
on it. They are a good tight fit on mine, and
have had no problems wth them so far.

dualsport
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I need to resupply for my caplocks. Any good sources you know of? thanks dual

docone31
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Aside from ordering them from my club, I have considered doing this.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=842064
Hey, why not?

dualsport
01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I've considered the Tapocap, but have read a lot of negative reviews on the reliability of the caps. What I need now is a good deal on 5000 #11s. That should see me thru. I do have one flinter and plenty of Goex. Found a flint mine open to the public up in Modoc county. Way way out in the boonies. About a mile from where I got that buck, along the old Lassen wagon trail. (Am I digressing?)

Baron von Trollwhack
01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Remember, percussion caps are subject to hazmat shipping.

BvT

higgins
01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Walmarts around here (Southeast) have Winchester caps for 4.50/100. No telling who makes them; anyone know?

shdwlkr
01-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Look at powder valley, midsouth, graf&sons to name a few
see who gives the best deal and then buy from them.

Captain*Kirk
01-11-2010, 01:28 AM
I use #11's on all my revolvers; pinching the sides keeps them in place, and they split on firing which makes for easy removal. Never had a chainfire (yet).

missionary5155
01-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Good morning
Last MUSKET caps I bought were at the Indianapolis Show in September for $5 Bought the only 2 tins available.
Another member & I just bought 2000 #10 caps for $54 delivered from a dealer selling out. We bought the last there were.