PDA

View Full Version : solid vaseline as a bullet lube?

africa
04-08-2006, 05:46 AM
Just a curiosity: How does solid vaselin perform as a bullet lube, say, for .45 ACP aplications?

Char-Gar
04-08-2006, 09:21 AM
I have been using Vaseline for 40 years to soften beeswax for use in a Lyman lubrasizer. The mix has been about 60/40 wax to Vaseline.

How would pure Vaseline work...Try it and find out! You can then be the one to tell us. It might be to soft to work with..but find out and let me know.

It will either work or not.

Buckshot
04-10-2006, 08:07 AM
...............I use a Vaseline-Beeswax mix to lube paper patched slugs, and a stiffer mix of the same to pan lube 43 Spanish boolits for my Rem RB. Does great and I've pushed it to 1600 fps with plain based slugs and no leading. Might be a bit thin as-is though?

....................Buckshot

1Shirt
04-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Years ago, I used a mix of 70% beeswax, 30% Vaseline, and added two lg. tablespoons of the finest graphite I could find. Made about 5 lbs. of the stuff at once, and it lasted quite awhile. Had to stur it to keep the graphite suspended when it was molten, and until it cooled down to a tough to stur level. Worked well in an old Lyman Luber, and I shot a lot of 06 cast quite well with it befor the days of Alox.
1Shirt

hiram
04-27-2006, 04:51 PM
If you do a search for 'petrolatum', you'll find it is the stuff vaseline is made of. Also, petrolatum, in stiffer form is used by the Fluidmaster company as the toilet bowl floor rings. "bol-wax" is their name. Vaseline, white petroleum jelly, is kind of soft. Check out the toilet bowl ring.

StarMetal
04-27-2006, 05:12 PM
petrolatum is the stuff vasoline is made FROM, not of. Vaseline is a highly refined (through a vacuum distillation process then filtered through bone char) petrolatum. Most the toilet bowl rings, although made from petrolatum, have some other ingredients in them such as anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. If you wanted to stiffen Vaseline up, the toilet bowl rings would be the thing to use because they the product would stay pretty much the same. If you mixed vaseline with say beeswax or even paraffin, then it's not pure vaseline anymore.

Joe

versifier
04-28-2006, 01:19 AM
I have tried it on MaxiBalls in my .54 M/L. It had no detrimental effect on accuracy until the barrel fouled much too soon. I was not at all impressed with its ability to keep the fouling under control, and much prefer water soluble products for this application. I have no clue how it would work on centerfire boolits, but even if it worked and kept leading to a minimum, I would think it would be too messy to be practical. I don't like the idea of using any petroleum product around primers - it might kill them if any found its way down into the powder cavity.

Beerd
04-28-2006, 02:35 PM
I have found that equal parts Vasoline + Paraffin and a couple of ounces of STP oil treatment make a pretty serviceable boolit loob.

Bucks Owin
04-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Vaseline alone melts very easily. I used to try and use it to smear in front of cap n ball revolver boolits. Didn't work too "hot"....(pun intended) :roll:

Dennis

buck1
04-29-2006, 01:03 AM
Pure it would most likely foul the powder in a short time, but mixed with wax, its a old stand by bullet lube for low pressure loads.......Buck