PDA

View Full Version : how hard does JPW get?

lylejb
08-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Made my first try at pan lube with JPW and LLA tonight.

I melted the Jpw over a low propane burner, then mixed in some LLA, and stired well. heated till i got steam like fumes that smelled like paint thinner, but not actually smoke. Set my boolits in, and waited for it to cool.

I was expecting a hardness something like chapstick on a warm day. What i got was butter just before it melts, only slightly thicker than honey

I'm using the lee 358-158-rf boolit, and don't have a lubesizer. From what i've read here, tumble lube with LLA becomes a stickey mess, and i don't really like the idea of lube, wait a day to dry, size, relube, re-wait yet another day to dry again.

I planned to use a home made cake cutter with pan lube, to keep the lube in the lube groove, instead of all over my dies.

i knew it would be softer than commercial "hard" lube, but there's no way this will stay in a lube groove.

what am i doing wrong? not cooked enough maybe? Should i add some paraffin to harden it?

Thanks for any help.

SciFiJim
08-28-2009, 12:03 AM
With a JPW/LLA mix I tumble lube. I swirl them around and then let dry just like you don't like. I have plenty of time and it works for me.

To make a firmer lube for pan lubing you might add beeswax. Heat what you have and add a chunk and let it cool. Repeat until it hardens to the consistency you like.

Cloudpeak
08-28-2009, 08:22 AM
how hard does JPW get?

Harder than Nancy Pelosi's plasticized face? :-):-):-)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself;)

woody1
08-28-2009, 09:09 AM
You don't say what you're shooting your boolits in but try this: With warm boolits in a pint jar, throw in a dollop of jpw (only) and shake the boolits around until coated with jpw. Dump 'em out on waxed paper and run 'em thru your sizer if you need to resize. They will be slicker'n' snot and will just squirt thru a Lee Push Thru. Warm the boolits and lube again, dump out and dry. Load and shoot the next day. Works for me. Regards, Woody

lylejb
08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
for now, these will be used in low velocity 38 special, about 600 - 650 fps. At some point, i would like to be able to use these in mid 357 loads, say 1200 or so.

These will be fired in a dan wesson 357, 8 inch.

Harder than Nancy Pelosi's plasticized face?

are you sure that's possible?[smilie=l:

woody1
08-28-2009, 04:16 PM
for now, these will be used in low velocity 38 special, about 600 - 650 fps. At some point, i would like to be able to use these in mid 357 loads, say 1200 or so.

These will be fired in a dan wesson 357, 8 inch.

are you sure that's possible?[smilie=l:

I didn't say that about Ms Nancy, but JPW ain't that hard!

IMO straight jpw done as I described should work for you in your low vel. loads and might in your 357. I generally use FWFL in most of what I run thru a sizer for handguns just 'cuz that's what I do. I do use jpw for some rifle boolits particularly a group buy 25 cal plain base with tumble lube grooves. It works dandy up to 12-1300 fps and I haven't shot 'em faster. There's a sticky somewhere regarding JPW. Check it out if you haven't. Regards, Woody

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
I was going to post something crude like "ask mrs JPW", but decided not to after I read CloudPeak's...

Rich
DRSS

tall grass
08-28-2009, 06:36 PM
lylejb

I don't know about the Dan Wesson but I can get that velocity and better out of my Marlins 357mag. and 45-70gov. with the JPW. And both barrels could use a little better break in. I really like the stuff. I haven't tried it with high velocity rifle boolets yet but some on here have even had some luck doing that (I think it was boerancher, do a search and check it out). Just keep it simple like woody said, tumble in straight Johnson's Paste Wax. You can heat up the boolits a little if you want (I like mine just warm enough to make the wax a little slushy if you will) but it doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. I found, with one load anyway, in the 45-70gov. that LLA would lead the barrel and the JPW didn't and never the other way around. I am cheep and lazy and a fan of JPW.

regards

Jim

wallenba
08-28-2009, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=lylejb;649034]Made my first try at pan lube with JPW and LLA tonight.

I'm using the lee 358-158-rf boolit, and don't have a lubesizer. From what i've read here, tumble lube with LLA becomes a stickey mess, and i don't really like the idea of lube, wait a day to dry, size, relube, re-wait yet another day to dry again.

If you tumble lube, you can run them through the sizer without letting them dry, and just re-tumble them and set them out to dry. I found it easier to hold the boolit up in the sizer with my finger, than trying to get it to stay put on the punch while wet, messy...yeah, but saves time.

HiVelocity
08-28-2009, 07:18 PM
I too like JPW; actually, I'll clean my 357 Marlin thoroughly, then swab with JPW and let it dry over night. The next day, run a dry patch through the bore til bright and shiny. I've been told that the JPW impregnates into the metal and causes debris and powder to simply wipe out with a clean patch. I've had no trouble so far.

Okay, lubing. First, you can cut Alox with paint thinner (or something similar) and it will work fine and will probably dry much quicker and won't be sticky.

I too cast the .358-158-RF bullet with great success. After I lube and let it dry, I'll size through one chamber of my S&W 681 (for loads to be shot in this revolver) and this too, works fine. This bullet with ACWW weigh 160.5 grains.

Try equal parts of beeswax and JPW, throw in your favorite colored crayon for "personality".

Just food for thought.

runfiverun
08-28-2009, 11:23 PM
i use 3 parts jpw and one part b-wax melted in the wave.
the steam coming off yours was the solvents coming out.
i swirl lube with it till the grooves are full the stuff gets hard enough to break but it don't lead i have used it in the 30-30 at full tilt.
and that is the only lube i use in my 25-20 as they pour at the size i want.
i put in about a quarter the amount i think i need while it is warm and mushy and swilr till the grooves are full. adding a bit more if needed.

DanWalker
09-02-2009, 05:48 PM
I use a mix of JPW and LLA. The LLA has been thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits.
I put my boolits in a quart mason jar and stick them in the oven at 200 degrees for around 15 minutes. I then just pour the lube on them, swish them around a bit, and pour out onto a paper plate to dry. The heated boolits really soak up the lube, and they dry in about 30 minutes.
I think most people's complaints about LLA stem from using WAAAAAAY too much.
For a mason jar 3/4 full of 250 gr keith swc's, I use about a marble sized chunk of JPW and a half spoonful of LLA. I've pushed this combo to 2000 fps in my 7mm08 with no leading issues.
I had an RCBS lubrisizer and actually sold it because I like this method so much better.
I think lube falls into the same old scapegoat category as BHN when it comes to leading, ESPECIALLY in handgun length barrels.
Most folks could use a helluva lot less lube than they are currently applying, and get by just fine.
I farm the berms at the range for lead, and MOST of the handgun boolits I recover still have lots of lube left on them.
It has been my experience that all you need to do is get a LIGHT coating of lube on a tumble lubed boolit, and it will work just fine. For boolits that i have to size before loading, i just relube with the above mentioned method once I've sized them.