PDA

View Full Version : Scrap lead price?

badgeredd
08-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I have been checking scrap prices for a guide in what is a fair price to pay for WW. Tonight I clicked on the link I had stored and they no longer display the current price. Anyone have an idea as to what is up with this?

Edd

SciFiJim
08-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Looks like metalworld.com has gone to a subscription service business plan to get current market prices. Does anyone have a link to scrap prices that is still free?

GabbyM
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead.html

Some charts their but not the scrap prices like used to be on that other one. Disappointing.

SciFiJim
08-27-2009, 11:52 PM
http://www.scrapspot.com/03-013720.html?affilid=

Shows the spot price for wheel weights. Currently 28¢/lb for less than truck load.

badgeredd
08-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks Jim. The link appears to be the only one available at this time. I'm still searching. :killingpc At least this does give a clue to what a fair price is.

It appears that the industry wants to keep the minor consumer (like us) out of their business. Kinda makes me wonder if this is the first step toward price fixing. Obviously a $750 subscription for a month is out of our price range! I have been checking some of the local yards to see what they are paying/charging for WW and I've noticed a marked increase in their selling price, but not their buying price. :x Makes me wonder what is going on. Could it be that "scrapping" by citizens has pushed a new way to jam it to the little guy? :groner:

Edd :lovebooli

zxcvbob
08-28-2009, 12:35 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I went to the local scrap metal dealer yesterday to buy a couple of hundred pounds of lead pipe. He wanted 85¢ a pound for it; I said "no thanks" and left. That's more than double what he was selling it for a few months ago when I went there and bought WW's.

(his WW's were about 30% zinc and steel, which is why I was gonna try pipe this time)

TAWILDCATT
08-30-2009, 11:55 AM
every one is taking advantage of demand.I went to tire repair shop and got WW for $12 bucket,went back yr later the sons ask for $100.told them to shove it.thats
one reason I miss the club up north unlimited back stop lead.they cleaned the backstop and got 13 tons.:coffee:

Wally
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I have noticed that many WW now have FE or steel weight intermixed with them...as the cost has esculated one needs to cull them out before buyng them. If you don't a sizeable amount of teh WW in that bucket will be no good. As more shops go to FE weights it would seem that our source for bullet metal will shrink until, like with linotype, there will be none to be had.

montana_charlie
10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I found fifty-odd pounds of good 'pure' scrap at the recycler's last week. Price was forty cents per pound. That's only a nickle more than it was (about a year ago) when I took some x-ray lab sheeting.

I got to talking to the guy about tin. I described some of the items that might come in, like old refrigerator coils, organ pipes, and so on.
He said all of that kind of stuff would get thrown on the 'steel pile' and they would never know it was there.

Guess I'm gonna have to train a pet vulture to detect tin...and have him watch the scrapyard.
CM

AJ Peacock
10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Stopped at the local recycler today.

They are paying $0.15/lb for WW's and trying to sell them for $0.65

I told him the spot price today was $0.28/lb and he told me I was wrong. I then made up a little story and told him "I have a friend in the business and he has a subscription to spot prices, he told me that WW's are $0.28/lb for less than truck load". A lady next to him started making excuses for their prices ("you don't understand our business" etc.) He then told her it was OK and said that they pay $0.15/lb and get the $0.65/lb. I told him I can get a ton of pure lead from the foundry in Cleveland for $0.98/lb and at $0.65, the cost of propane to smelt his WW's into ingots would make it more expensive than a gauranteed alloy.

I shook his hand and wished him a good day; he said if I get desperate that he'd still be there; I told him that wouldn't happen.

AJ

sheepdog
10-05-2009, 02:11 PM
My local recycler is up his price to 75 cents a pound. Only reason I come around now and then is because his "lead" section sometimes has linotype, pure ingots from foundrys, solder bars and rolls. Hard to turn down a roll of 95% solder for 75 cents a pound.

evan price
10-06-2009, 06:07 AM
I've been calling around to see what prices are- the big guys like Sims Brothers and Cyclemet won't sell anything, they say they are under contract. The guys who would sell said that there is a big push on for lead due to some rebellion in one of the lead producing cities in China over poor working conditions or something. They are buying from ten cents to a quarter a pound but lead for sale is going around 75 to 90 cents a pound. Nobody had enough to justify a trip to the city. One guy when I asked for tin, he said they don't even bother to save it. I said that stuff goes for $4 to $6 a pound, why not? He said they don't figure it's worth it. Another guy said all he had was antimonious lead and a bit of wheel weights all the pure went out last week. I said heck, I like 4% antimony in my alloy, and that struck up a conversation about lead alloying and was I making bullets, and if so, he would save some for me.

canebreaker
10-07-2009, 07:09 AM
I answered a craigslist ad. Free lead, and got it. A plastic tote 24"x15"x6" stuffed. WW, flashing, spent boolits and big chunks of what I couldn't ID. I melted it down into cornbread stick muffin ingots. The sticks weigh about a pound each. 37 sticks fit into a plastic coffee can fine. 3 1/2 cans, plus 18 sticks of melted flashing. And 3 sheets 10"x 24" of flashing that I left for other uses. Just the cost of propane to melt it.

smokemjoe
10-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Comming back from the miltary national cast bullet shoot this June from Iowa- Neb. border I stop at 4 tire shops out in the country, 3 sold them to the place that picks up the old batterys.The last one said he casted his own bullets, That made me feel good. If you want lead the scrap yards in Iowa have a good supply of it, Pay nothing-sell high, I trade for it from 3 different repair shops.

badgeredd
10-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Well guys I cannot find any site to get a price for scap lead. I guess the big guys in the scrap business are getting ready to jam us all. :(

Edd

Storydude
10-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Today's spot was 15 cents LTL WW Buying, Pure is .28/Lb LTL buying.

LTL=Less than Truck Load

Ken O
10-14-2009, 10:53 PM
This isn't scrap, but its interesting. Its the lead market short and long. Lead price charts (http://www.infomine.com/investment/historicalcharts/showcharts.asp?c=Lead)

lead Foot
10-15-2009, 02:47 AM
I've noticed the US doller is dropping quick and lead is based on a world price. So buy now it's only going to go up.
Lead foot;

badgeredd
10-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks Storydude. Do you subscribe to a site? The fellow I get most of my WWs from, has always been fair with me so I like to stay current with the prices. He relies on me to be fair so I feel it is only right to give him the most current price I can get. He always charges me a price below the LTL price.

Edd

Bert2368
10-15-2009, 05:26 PM
The scrap yard I use posts prices right on their web site-
http://www.kirschbaumkrupp.com/10-Batteries.htm

Storydude
10-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks Storydude. Do you subscribe to a site? The fellow I get most of my WWs from, has always been fair with me so I like to stay current with the prices. He relies on me to be fair so I feel it is only right to give him the most current price I can get. He always charges me a price below the LTL price.

Edd

Nope..I run scrap on my days off :D