PDA

View Full Version : Need advice!!!

redrusanov
08-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi everybody.
I'm casting bullets for 15 years now but only for myself. Recently some people at the gun range start asking would I sell them some of my boolits. I did. They like it. Now i sold out all my boolits (I cast 9mm,.38,.45) and they ask for more. I been thinking to start casting for profit and maybe get myself semi-automatic casting machine from Magma or Ballistic-Cast, because i cannot supply demand. So the questions is: with should i get. And is anyone who does commercial bullet casting can you give me an advice?
Thanks

Dennis Eugene
08-27-2009, 08:56 PM
I don't do commerical casting but my advice to you is to "look into what laws you may be breaking by selling boolits with out a lic." But then I don't know you and maybe you have already looked into it. Dennis

flagman1776
08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
I had an 01 licence as a gunsmith. I sold bullets at shoots & such. Did not used to need license for sale of just slugs but I have no idea what current regs are.
Russ

beagle
08-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Might look at the availability of lead before you invest too heavily also. Looks like it's getting scarce./beagle

Shiloh
08-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Sage advice by Dennis Eugene.

There are laws that cover this. Although not positive, I would suggest that BATF or Treasury folks have some jurisdiction over this. Humorless, overbearing, storm troopers.
Airport TSA folks on steroids, as well as a law unto themselves.

The reason I have never applied for any type of FFL or C&R license, is that I want NOTHING to do with these people. These are folks, who if they have it in for you, will make your life absolutely miserable. They answer to no one.

Look into the laws that cover what you want to do.

Shiloh

southpaw
08-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Personally I wouldn't spend the extra money to go commercial. However I would sell the extra that I cast and use the money to buy more lead. I think that it would be a long time before you would pay off the new casting equipment that you would have to buy ( but I don't know how big of a demand that you have maybe its worth it and it would pay for itself in a short time ).

But if you want to go commercial, like dennis said look into the laws and cover your butt. No-one wants to have to answer to big brother.

Good luck!!!

Jerry Jr.

geargnasher
08-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Wouldn't it be crappy if one of your range pals turned out to be an undercover ATF field investigator?

Would it be illegal to TRADE the boolits for something other than cash? Check it out.

Gear.

08-27-2009, 09:36 PM
I have a C&R license, but I don't sell. I'd stay away from selling boolits, though, as you never know in whose hands they will ultimately end up or who may hear about your venture.

Perhaps you can approach your "customers" and see if they'd be willing to pay for the equipment and all the supplies, and you "give" them the boolits. Everyone wins, they get boolits, and the equimpent and on-going supply replenishment is yours.

redrusanov
08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
I did research and you a right i do need "Manufacturer of Ammunition or Components of Ammunition" license with cost like 30$ for 3 years. Will get it asap.

runfiverun
08-27-2009, 10:27 PM
you get into the small time casting business buy a big bottle of aspirin.

snaggdit
08-28-2009, 01:02 AM
I assume you are lubing/sizing these boolits. I would recommend that you give each prospective customer a pure lead slug (or two) in their proposed caliber and explain how they go about slugging their barrel(s). Keep notes and size each group of boolits to their needs (.0015 over). This will help with their accuracy and help you avoid bad gossip about your "crappy, inaccurate" boolits. They might balk but if you explain to them why it is necessary I think they would all be willing to do it for the "custom" fit. Might be extra work for you but happy customers make for more business.

outdoorfan
08-28-2009, 01:47 AM
I assume you are lubing/sizing these boolits. I would recommend that you give each prospective customer a pure lead slug (or two) in their proposed caliber and explain how they go about slugging their barrel(s). Keep notes and size each group of boolits to their needs (.0015 over). This will help with their accuracy and help you avoid bad gossip about your "crappy, inaccurate" boolits. They might balk but if you explain to them why it is necessary I think they would all be willing to do it for the "custom" fit. Might be extra work for you but happy customers make for more business.

Good idea. BTW, I like the new avatar.:bigsmyl2:

qajaq59
08-28-2009, 06:30 AM
I think I'd talk to some of the guys that already cast commercially before you jump into that. At best that can turn into a real heavy, hard, and hot job once you are doing it for money. I used to watch the guys do it over at the store where I bought my loading supplies and that is no easy job once you are trying to produce a lot of bullets.
Hobbys seldom make good jobs.

XWrench3
08-28-2009, 07:21 AM
if you really want to know about the bullet casting buiness, matt dardas ( of dardas cast bullets) would probably be able to tell you all about it. check out his website @ www.dardascastbullets.com
. there is a link there to contact him also a phone number. i would e-mail him first, to see if he would be willing to talk for a while. and i believe he is a member of this board to boot. i have talked to him a few times about his bullets. he is a very nice person to talk with.

Wayne Smith
08-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Do you have access to lots of lead?? Are you willing to buy certified metal and charge accordingly? You may need to collect excise taxes, that gets you involved with the tax man. You will need a local business license, that gets you involved with the tax man. Of course, if you own property or work you are involved with the tax man anyway.

Trapshooter
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I would worry more about interactions with the EPA. They can make the ATFE guys look like potential best buddies. Their regulations were written by the same people who are writing the health insurance legislation, and the EPA will go after you, and the next 5 generations of your family if they think you caused a problem.

Trapshooter

runfiverun
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
matt is a member here.

Uncle R.
08-28-2009, 11:22 PM
And then after you meet all of the requirements for licensing and collecting taxes for your business - give a thought to liability insurance. Yeah - I know if somebody blows up a gun using your bullets it won't be your fault. And yeah - I know that you're only selling bullets - not loaded ammo. But - ask yourself this - does a jury know? Twelve people carefully selected for their complete and overwhelming ignorance - are you going to explain it to them yourself?
Even if you're absolutely blameless, when some schmaltz decides to sue you it'll cost you thousands in attorney fees - and maybe everything you have if you're unlucky. The only defenses are very good insurance - or to have nothing worth taking.
So - when you DO tell your insurance man what you're already doing and ask him for a quote on liability coverage make sure HE'S sitting down because he's liable to faint...
I strongly suspect that when you figure in all of your expenses you could make more money with less stress working part-time manning the cash register at the Qwickie Mart. I might GIVE AWAY my bullets to a very few select friends - but I wouldn't SELL them for a dollar apiece.
Uncle R.

rhead
08-29-2009, 06:16 AM
A s-10 corp. would give some protection on the liability issues. It would also be an advantage in other areas and a headache in others. Then it would be the corp being sued.