PDA

View Full Version : PMC brass flash hole

Ekalb2000
08-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Got a quick question about PMC primer flash hole. The ones that I have deprimed, the flash hole is off center. It does not affect my deprime pin. Was just curious if any one els knows why and is this common?

thanks
andy

KCSO
08-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Well the fellows making them have slanty eyes???

I have noticed this too and since I have more brass than I can use I just throw them off to the side.

Marlin Hunter
08-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I have loaded a few PMC rounds in the past and have never noticed an off center flash hole. It might be done to create turbulence in the case, but I think it is a mistake. PMC is made in S. Korea and they make very good ammunition. Korean quality is almost as good as Japan's and much better than China's or Taiwan's quality.

EMC45
08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Bunch of PMC 44Mag cases I have are off center!

lurch
08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Few hundred 223's - most are off center. I haven't seen anything of this magnitude since I got a bunch of TW 73 mil brass. That stuff was supposedly an experiment with running the machines at hyper speed or so I'm told. Wish I'd known that before I bought it. Maybe the same sort of thing with PMC?

wallenba
08-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Yep, noticed when I tried to use my uniformer on them, some were real finicky to get in there. Not my primary brass choice, just had them from off the shelf ammo. (45ACP)

high standard 40
08-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Just about all of my Lake City 223 brass has off center flash holes also.

Hardcast416taylor
08-27-2009, 06:17 PM
A fella I know bought 1k of PMC .45 match ammo. It shot fine till about halfway thru the case of ammo he had an experience that PMC denies could happen. His Colt Gold Cup was firing along fine till a small explosin happened when the trigger was pulled. When he finally got the slide to open he discovered the primer was in pieces through out the action. The round had no flash hole! PMC finally paid for cleaning and checking the gun and gave him another case of the same ammo at no charge as long as he surrendered the case in question. He sold off the ammo as soon as he got it. He hasn`t shot PMC since.Robert

Shiloh
08-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Just about all of my Lake City 223 brass has off center flash holes also.

I've run into it with LC brass. Slightly off center, doesn't to affect accuracy. I'll make a note to myself to check the PMC that I do have.

SHiloh

C1PNR
08-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Hmmm

I've got quite a bit of PMC 6.5 x 55mm brass from shooting factory loads in my Swedes. I'll have to check this, but I don't recall any trouble using my flashhole uniforming tool.

jdgabbard
08-27-2009, 07:22 PM
I've noticed a few cases being slighty off center, but they haven't affected my accuracy yet...

XWrench3
08-28-2009, 08:16 AM
i guess i am not all that fussy. basicly, if it holds the seperate components together, i use it! now, IF i were competition shooting, that, would be a different story.

GabbyM
08-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Use a flash hole uniformer to debur and round those punched holes out. That will help more than off center may hurt, IMO. Also helps guide the decap pin into the hole.

lurch
08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Use a flash hole uniformer to debur and round those punched holes out. That will help more than off center may hurt, IMO. Also helps guide the decap pin into the hole.

For the most part I agree. When the flash hole is at the edge of the primer pocket - hole ad pocket wall have a true tangential point - I begin to wonder. Some of my PMC is that way, not a lot but a few. I still shoot it, just not for anything where I'm expecting greatness. I do have a 12 yr old that has a definite affinity for BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG with an AR...off center flash holes won't cause any sort of harm there.. Let him have a little fun while he's still 100% supervised. Last trip out though he was starting to get the hang of trigger control pretty well.

odoh
08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Back in the '70s, I had a batch of 300win mag factory loads to reload. Noticed something unusual only to find that the flash hole was off-centered and the decapping pin wasn't. After the decapping, the flash hole looked like a figure 8 ~ which, I'm guessing here, would ramp up the pressures considerably if undetected. I still have some military 06 brass marked RA 54 w/off-centered holes.